• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys Stator Connection Fix

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
During a top end rebuild I discovered the problem many have encountered of the stator connection being melted.
This was on a 2016 Axys, and located in the Velcro bag above the motor on the PTO side (clutch side)
Wanted a good fix,make it watertight and straight forward (goof proof) in the event the connection had to disconnected.
Thought I would share some pictures.

Thanks to Eric (MH) for the idea,and where to purchase.
https://www.snowest.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4131272&postcount=10

I taped the corresponding wires (before cutting) on either side to identify the correct wires when connected back,4 wires. (2 black 2 yellow)
IMG_6269 (2).jpg

The wires from the stator are a smaller(weird) 16ga vs 14ga- but using the Metri Pack 630 connections it made little difference.
IMG_6270 (2).jpg

To make it Goof Proof I used one set of each Metri Pack on the same outbound/inbound wires-as to make it a bit straight forward for mating back together.
IMG_6274 (2).jpg

IMG_6276 (2).jpg

Re-taped the wires for abrasion prevention, and all went back into the velcro bag,Water tight and a mucho better,positive connection.
IMG_6277 (2).jpg

Hope this helps to those that are thinking to tackle this before the snow flies.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
My dealer was told by Polaris that some stators were putting out too much and they changed my stator under warranty. I call BS as the crimps on the OEM wires are really thin. Everyone should look at this connection though as it is ugly to fix at -40 degrees.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Great fix, Joe. I have done the same to a few sleds.
The Polaris OEM connector short/melt down has caused a few stators to have a short life, after a fix.
Just a reminder, if the stator needs replacment you will need to add the connector to the new stator.
Please contact your dealer before modifying your connector. If it is still under warranty, you may be denied warranty when the stator goes out. “Modifications”

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
I wonder what the root cause of this problem is. .
-Velcro bags done up different on each sled holding water?
-Lots of people open trailer with no tarp?

2017 RMK (all deep snow riding) Haul on deck with tarp. . 1200miles on sled . . Just checked mine all out for some pre-season checks and it looks brand new.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
Just checked my new to me 16. It’s starting to melt but not as bad as the op picture. Going to do this on mine. Sage, did the connectors you used provide a good seal at the wires where the green seal is? Says they are for 14-10 awg? Also did you do this without the crimp tool? I found the tool on eBay for 90 dollars.

Regardless I will be soldering the connectors also as a I have a good iron and am pretty decent at soldering from my remote control hobby. I also considered doing away with connector idea entirely and soldering and shrink wrapping directly. What would be downfall to this other than not being quick connect.

I could easily unsolder them if needed and if stator had to be replaced one would be stuck changing connectors anyway?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
the only drawback to the soldered and shrink protected is that you never know when you'll need to pull the motor out of the sled... Nice to have good quality tinned connectors.

The original connector is bare brass without good surface area on the terminals... bad in general... same on street bikes, same connector. The moisture under hood of a sled, some high freq vibration from the 2S motors... is no help either.

The wires are fabric covered... so the seal is not as important....but, I would pack the back side of the connector cavity with lots of dielectric grease, where the seal fits.

With these sealed connectors with TINNED terminals... I would not put grease on the terminals.

Make sure you buy the " 630 " connectors

mp630-2p_1653.jpg

Last edited:

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Just checked my new to me 16. It’s starting to melt but not as bad as the op picture. Going to do this on mine. Sage, did the connectors you used provide a good seal at the wires where the green seal is? Says they are for 14-10 awg? Also did you do this without the crimp tool? I found the tool on eBay for 90 dollars.

Regardless I will be soldering the connectors also as a I have a good iron and am pretty decent at soldering from my remote control hobby. I also considered doing away with connector idea entirely and soldering and shrink wrapping directly. What would be downfall to this other than not being quick connect.

I could easily unsolder them if needed and if stator had to be replaced one would be stuck changing connectors anyway?

I have done it here in my shop with and without the crimp tool- very easy to do.. Just take your time..... As MH stated, having a connector as stout as this 630 provided a positive connection. I did put a light dab of dielectric grease on the inlet of the "Green" waterproof fitting.

My Sleds all have been trailered in an enclosed and heated trailer- I feel with the open connection and "Motorcycle Street" style connector, if they have not failed they will...and wanted to share a positive and inexpensive fix.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Had this happen with my 07-700 Dragon and my 11 Pro 800 and I soldered both of them with no problems later down the snow road, so, guess it is time to look at my 18 AXYS but I'm not having any problems that I am aware of!!! BTW, I still have the 07-700 Dragon for my loaner sled and has getting close to 11,000 miles and heads have never been off and only thing I have done to the engine is cleaned the exhaust valves every 2 to 3 K miles and replaced drive clutch once and normal clutch service and occasional belt change. Rock Solid!
gtwitch in wyoming

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
i soldered mine. i may have to pull back some electrical tape and inspect. Now that you have reported that i am glad i went with soldering.
I am doing the hard connection also but need to ohm out the stator - connection at the voltage regulator took some heat too this time ?Glad I have my Alpha as backup to keep me going
The price from polaris in stators is unreal $500.00?????

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Had this happen with my 07-700 Dragon and my 11 Pro 800 and I soldered both of them with no problems later down the snow road, so, guess it is time to look at my 18 AXYS but I'm not having any problems that I am aware of!!! BTW, I still have the 07-700 Dragon for my loaner sled and has getting close to 11,000 miles and heads have never been off and only thing I have done to the engine is cleaned the exhaust valves every 2 to 3 K miles and replaced drive clutch once and normal clutch service and occasional belt change. Rock Solid!
gtwitch in wyoming
I need your type of luck my friend,,,,!,,,,

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Voltage regulator connectors ...Funny thing sled ran 100% buddy just noticed my headlight was flickering and the hand warmers were slowly going away - Found all this when I was replacing the relationship (or attempting to) and knew the weather pac had been melted internally.. Sled still runs here in the shop before I tore into the connectors but don’t trust it as far as I can throw it ???

19BB5A20-AE10-4D49-841D-712A9443D85D.jpeg 0FC3B413-9802-4500-BCB7-B8F1942A741E.jpeg 0075089D-8FD6-4F57-9D58-CD38CC088C1A.jpeg

Last edited:
F
Jan 3, 2008
Even the weather pac connector is not up to par to solve the problem ..?Frustrating to say the least - I have discovered slight arching in the voltage regulator connector now ... Ideas?
Is this the stock Polaris weather pac connector in the pictures? Or is this the aftermarket weather pac connector you used to replace the crappy stator connector? Just trying how many connectors I need to replace and with what.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
That is the exact reason I first went to soldering the failed connection on my 07 700 Dragon and if you have to take it apart, no problem un soldering and you dwon't have the high resistance hence excess heat, at least in the solder joint.
gtwitch in wyoming

Premium Features