• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anybody go from diesel back to gas, and still happy?

zblink

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Mi
Buy the 5.0L instead of an EcoBoost....better engine, but you do sacrifice at altitude.

Rocky

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I've had several Duramax over the years and liked all of them. Last year I decided to order a 2104 Chevy 1500 with the 6.2 and towing package I loved the truck, beautiful interior, motor was impressive but when it comes to towing and having your kids with you, softer suspension, softer brakes, lots of body roll etc, towing at 10,000 feet, it just didn't work for me after owning diesels I traded with about 7000 miles for 2015 Denali Duramax I love this truck I love the new ergos... I now have all the benefits of the updated 2014 1/2t now in my diesel... Just damn expensive though.

If I lived in the Midwest and didn't pull a lot of weight, I'm sure that 6.2 would be good. BUT, at 10k, it guts all the gas motors.

When you spend better part of 15 years owning diesels and pulling enclosed trailers in the mountains, you pretty much know how fast you pull, where you can pass or not etc...when I went to the gasser, it was ok but everything was 10-20 mph slower and most importantly, I was always on edge in the 1/2t never felt comfortable like my 3/4t diesels..

S

schu

Nov 26, 2007
Houston, AK
Given many tow at altitude, perhaps this should be a turbo vs non-turbo thread.

Put a turbo in the gas engines (like the eco boost) and I suspect many would be happy with the gas.

I have a 03 Cummins 6-spd. It's a decent truck, pulls fine, but doesn't warm up without load, doesn't handle well, and is starting to need some normal maintance.

If a new truck wasn't $40-$60k I would upgrade, but I would specifically look for a turbo gas. What little towing I give up, I would gladly trade for ride, heat, less noise, and cheaper maintance.

Schu

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Buy the 5.0L instead of an EcoBoost....better engine, but you do sacrifice at altitude.

right now an ecoboost is $800-900 more than the 5.0 buying new. if you book out 2011 models the ecoboost books for $2,200 more. doesnt make sense to not get the EB financially.

W
Nov 10, 2010
The biggest problem with going from diesel to gas is you will be less of a man. Nothing says "im a sledder" like a jacked up diesel passing everyone on icy roads with 2 sleds on a deck. I'm Probably a bit jelous...... My truck sucks.

motodad383

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2010
2012 Ram 2500 5.7 HEMI 4" lift, 35" MT Baja ATZ, Iron Cross bumpers
"NO IT'S NOT A DIESEL, MY D*CK ISN'T THAT SHORT"

(Previous owner of a F-350 Powerjoke )

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
'12 Laramie diesel is gone. Got a new GMC 3/4 ton gas. Gets worse mileage, has less power, doesn't drive much nicer. Still have my '06 dodge diesel around to keep me somewhat happy.

My dad has a new Ram 1500 eco diesel. It doesn't get driven much, has plenty of power. In my opinion if I'm gonna fork over the money for and have all the same issues as a big diesel truck, why not have a big diesel then?

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
pulled an empty equipment trailer 500 miles this weekend from boise to kalispell with my 150 ecoboost. trailer is pretty heavy for and open trailer, id guess over 2k.

i was very impressed with the truck. pulled whitebird at 70-75 holding 4th gear the whole time. didnt seem like it was working hard. those winding roads aren't the best for mileage when trying to make good time but i still got 12.5 and was in 4wd for part of the trip. plenty of passing power and ride is awesome. so far i have 700 miles on it in less than a week and am loving it

N
Nov 3, 2008
Mass
id say if you only pull a 2 sled trailer a gasser would be fine
but a 4 place enclosed, go diesel

best thing i like about my 06' cummins is i can drive it to work everyday, hook to the sled at the county fair, bring it to the drag track in the summer, and tow the sleds in the winter.

C

catrider800

Jan 9, 2008
Albany, MN
Have a 2013 F150 ecoboost with 30000 miles on it. Had an 03 Duramax prior to this truck that I only used for towing as I hated using it as a daily driver, especially in the winter. Pulling the same trailers with both trucks I can honestly say I am continually impressed with how well this truck/engine tows. It gets decent mileage empty, rides smooth, is extremely quiet, heats up quick and is very comfortable. Gas engines, the ecoboost in particular, have improved immensely in the last 5 years, and I would recommend anyone who hasn't looked at one as an option to take one for a test drive. If I had a large camper or towed over 10k consistently I would have a diesel for sure. For what I tow (skid loader a few times a year, boat, smaller camper, 4 place enclosed trailer) and what I need a truck for on a daily basis it exceeds my expectations. Diesel is currently $1.30 a gallon higher than gas in my area, so not missing it here.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
Gas just hit $1 less than diesel here. That's a real wakeup call. Gonna have to make the riding buddies with gassers drive on sled trips this winter!

Joks79

Lifetime Membership
Oct 27, 2008
MN. 10 minutes from Canada!
I've been wondering the same thing. Keep my diesel or go with gas. The one thing stopping me is a F-150 won't handle my Boss V-plow. The Ecoboost can handle my pulling needs. If I had the money for a tractor with a blower on it I'd think hard about switching. What to do? What to do?

Premium Features