• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Diesel Tundra vs The Rest

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
you are pretty much saying the average guy should not own a 6.0. a guy that changes oil by the book, uses the suggested oil from ford, and wants the turn the key and go should not own a 6.0.

................sounds like a good pickup to own! :crazy:

You should change the oil by the book time. No one said to use Ford oil. Use Delo or what ever you like. Unless you do some mods and run a synthetic oil with longer drain time. But the older powerstrokes are hard on oil (6.0's and older).

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
It's is true that only a percentage of 6.0l fords had problems. Right around 100% roughly speaking.

But really they aren't that bad. Once you're on your 2nd computer, 3rd turbo, delete the egr, take the truck appart to replace the headstuds and gaskets, put in a programmer, and sprinkle it in holy water it runs really great for awhile!

That's funny right there

bootz1981

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2008
zap, nd
its a 07 cc lb 1ton single wheel

just curious, what exactly is your dmax? year, model, etc. etc.? just wondering cuz I've also heard and read from many sources the dmax only comes with 3.73s. i have an 05 and have friends that have them ranging from 02-08 and they're all 3.73s. have heard both ways on '12+ dmaxs and also cab and chassis trucks but have never seen one with factory 4.10s.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
my 2014 i ordered is coming with 4:10 gears, who told you 3:73 is the only gears available. i have owned 8 duramaxes since 2002 and all have had 4:10 gears

as a matter of fact it comes standard with 4:10 and costs you 100 bucks to get 3:73

If you're getting 4.10 gears, you are not getting a Diesel. You cannot order one like that. I just did a search for ANY 2500/3500 that had the following options:
-4.10 gears (package code GT5)
-Duramax (LML package code)

There is not one available anywhere in the country.

Send me your VIN and I'll send you the build sheet. To my knowledge you have never been able to order 4.10 gears with a Duramax

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
If you're getting 4.10 gears, you are not getting a Diesel. You cannot order one like that. I just did a search for ANY 2500/3500 that had the following options:
-4.10 gears (package code GT5)
-Duramax (LML package code)

There is not one available anywhere in the country.

Send me your VIN and I'll send you the build sheet. To my knowledge you have never been able to order 4.10 gears with a Duramax

Not sure about the older models but it's in the options on the 2014's. Heck if you look at the online "build & price" it's there as an option. Even if you pick the Durmax motor you can still pick the 3.73 or 4.10 gears.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Not sure about the older models but it's in the options on the 2014's. Heck if you look at the online "build & price" it's there as an option. Even if you pick the Durmax motor you can still pick the 3.73 or 4.10 gears.

With a gasser you can pick 3.73 or 4.10

Once you select the Duramax you lose the 4.10 option. If it is allowing you to, there is an error. I just did a search for any Diesel within 3000 miles of Fort Collins, CO and there are ZERO trucks out there. It cannot be ordered that way

(See the added pic in the attachments) That is the GM Dealer ordering website.

4.10.JPG

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
With a gasser you can pick 3.73 or 4.10

Once you select the Duramax you lose the 4.10 option. If it is allowing you to, there is an error. I just did a search for any Diesel within 3000 miles of Fort Collins, CO and there are ZERO trucks out there. It cannot be ordered that way

(See the added pic in the attachments) That is the GM Dealer ordering website.

Many have put 4.10's in aftermarket, but GM never offered 4.10's nor were they ever an option with the Duramax. Believe it or not, the 4.10 ring and pinion is actually slightly weaker than the 3.73 ring and pinion, and could be cause for GM never offering it in the Duramax.

I have owned a 95 6.5l gm, a 97 7.3 powerstroke, 2 Duramax, and currently a 6.7 powerstroke. They all have their strong points, and it's all personal preference.

My favorite so far have been my Duramaxes. I still own a 2005 with 230,000 miles on the ticker, and all I have done is fueled it, serviced it, and replaced the glowplugs and controller. My 2003 duramax ate a set of injectors at 100,000 miles, so I replaced them with 30% overs, put in a 66mm turbo, and built the transmission. I beat on it for 85000 miles like that, towing 20k, running several 12 second 1/4 miles, and Dyno runs over 650hp 1200ft'lbs. It was still running like a champ when I sold it to get my new powerstroke. I would have got another duramax, but I hate the 07-14' interiors.

Frames are the least of my worries when buying a truck.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Im sorry. But I can't believe u guys are feeding the troll that started this thread. He is getting exactly what he wanted.
5 pages of crap over his stupid thread.

I thought people were being a little to harsh on ruffripper on some of his other posts, until I read this one!
I now think he is either an a$$ or an idiot and deserves everything he has coming to him.

B

buckster

Dec 3, 2008
It's funny no mentions actual final drive ratios. The gear ratios of 1st thru 6th also play into how the truck accelerates. Lets see them publish this info also. Better yet side by side dyno runs at the crank not the rear wheels. That would take all the gear ratios out of the question.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
Fly wheel power is just a number! There are countless variables to consider.

Examples:
Torque converter is always over looked
Transmission 4-6 speed etc.
Gear ratio
Tire size
Tire tread pattern
Tire tread and sidewall plies
Load placement ( IF HAULING/ TOWING)

ALL REACT DIFFERENT DEPENDING ON ROAD CONDITIONS/ TEMPS

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
are you saying the c channel is better than a fully boxed truck chasis

Roff: How is it worse?

If you are going by chassis flex, chassis flex is not always a bad thing.

When you go over severe bumps, that energy has to go somewhere. Flex absorbs some of that energy, instead of transferring some of it to the Passenger area. that is one example of a trade off of one design over the other.

None of these trucks are "bad" trucks. Frankly they are all great trucks, with each design comes a give and take........

quit being a retard, and flaming a certain truck.....

What,,,,,,,,,,,, are you a 3rd grader?

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
GM uses a frame/chassis shock where the cab mounts to the frame. So basically you have two sets of shocks. Axle shocks and shocks on the cab.

Chassis flexing is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features