• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 - 2012 Diesel Trucks - Opinions/Experiences

kej

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
I took a 2007 Dodge in on trade. Leather, 1 ton "quad" cab with about 80k miles. had a backup cam and clean aftermarket navigation added.

Took a 2006 crew cab 3/4 ton duramax with leather, 60k

Dodge fetched $17k and the duramax fetched $26k

Call it what you like but we base these numbers on what we can buy one at auction, with similar options and miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First year DPF 6.7/ Last year no DPF 6.6
Quad cab/Crew cab
80k/60k

Not that far apart. Last year 5.9l bring more $$$ to.

kej

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
17k for an 07?!?!? I'll buy 10 at that price. I don't have the luxury of going to auctions. I've been looking at 06 dodge mega cabs and all are around 27-31K. with decent miles and well equipped. :noidea: Maybe prices are different up in the mountains.

In fact I just looked at your link in your sig and you have the aforementioned trucks for sale for much closer in price than you are stating on here......

Hey I have 2006 mega Laramie 5.9/auto I just started looking @ trading. I'll start working on wife (her ride, she doesn't want to part with it).

kej

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Good for you. In my book it was worth spending more money for the GMC. I wonder why they cost more? You are right...I don't know my Dodge stuff well. I've thought they were junk for a long time now. I think the new body/chassis is a huge improvement but I would be pissed if I bought a 2011 Dodge that wasn't even rated high enough to compete with Ford and GM. Then they release an HO version. I'd be pissed if I had the previous version. I'm cool with my rig and it sounds like you are with yours.

Sorry man, didn't mean anything just saying, we have a business that has 8 diesel pick-ups. saving 10k a pick-up means after 4 the next is free! Thats just business. If we can live with those "junk (under powered Dodges)"
We were diehard GM, till they didn't have a diesel in 1999, Bought new Powerstroke and Dodge. The dodge was flawless. I always price new GM before I buy. I like GM style, power, trans, etc just not $$$. My riding partner has 2011 GMC, great PU, but don't think my is junk, but about the same as his just different brand. ( just like his new Proclimb, nice sled (just not a Pro RMK IMO).

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
^^No worries, by the way I don't think the Dodge motors are bad. I've always liked the simplicity of the 6 cylinder Cummins. Great motor. I always joked that the best thing Dodge did was put a Cummins in there truck and the worst thing Cummins did was put a Dodge around their motor. :) The worst thing about my Denali is the price. But I got a really good price on it from MileHighAssassin. I basically bought a Denali for the price of a Sierra. I wish it had the room in the cab that Dodge has, but the powertrain, leather and rest of the truck is flat sick! I also agree with you on the Pro!

F

frog

Feb 16, 2009
MN
I have a 11' laramie 6.7 Cummins and have been very happy. Bought in summer of 11' and has 8300 trouble free miles. I looked at both the GM and the Ford and couldn't justify the 6k more price for equally equipped trucks. I went from a 06 5.9 to an 08 Duramax and was very disappointed with the pulling power of the Duramax compared to the 5.9 at the time. Both were programmed with similiar power numbers, Duramax was deleted, but the 5.9 just flat out pulled the Duramax in the hills. the GM was a great truck but I wanted as puller like I had so back to Dodge with a Cummins and I am happy.

Its all just preference, no right or wrong here. I know more guys that have gone from GM to Dodge than vice versa and are all happy with their decisions and the oldest GM was an 08 that was traded in on a 11' Dodge. Resale is all relative, the Dodge is cheaper to buy and worth less to trade because of the lesser MSRP.

RX1MountainMan

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Harlowton, MT
My wife and I pulled the trigger on a 2011 RAM 2500 Cummins Crew in September, I have only ever owned Dodges, but in my current line of work have driven all shapes and sizes of the big 3. This is the third Cummins I have owned. The first was a Gen I (1992) club cab. I had 271,000 on it when I sold it and bought a Gen II (2000) quad cab. both of these trucks had over 100,000 when I bought them and I put another 100,000 on each of them. The only thing I did to the first one was replace the auto tranny at around 175K. The second I had a programmer, cold air kit, exhaust and injectors in. Replaced the injection pump at around 160K which was the second replacement according to the guy that did it then added a FASS and a new clutch. Fit, finish and ride were much superior to the '92. The 2011 is a whole different animal, great power, ride, and really quiet...was... even though it had great power any of the new emission laden diesel are so choked up they get horrible mileage..in the mid 14's empty...so an H&S Mini Max, 5" TBE, cold air intake and Sinister EGR delete we are now at around 19-20 mpg, not all that much louder inside...I love this truck!

IMG00015-20111128-0941_2.jpg

Last edited:

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
i have a 2011 3500 srw crew cab chev. i love the diesel but not fond of haveing to add DEF. but its nice not having one bit of diesel smell or smoke out of the exhuast(nice for start up in the garage). i kind wished i would of got a ltz but there wasn't one in a 500 radius. i was a little scared of getting a long truck but after owning one i will never have anything different.

Premium Features