• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ultra motor swap Q

U
Dec 5, 2007
ok so i have a 97 ultra motor and i am wondering if i can basically drop it into a 97 700 chassis with crc steering with out to much moddification needed? TIA

james

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Should drop right in. The genII's used the same bulkhead as the wedgie body just different plastic. Some of the wdges had crc steering as well. Pipe fitment is different though because of the hood.

U
Dec 5, 2007
cool thanks but the plastics are the same, i just wasn't sure if the steering was going to clear the motor or not... also i still have an edge case from my old wedge mod and i am wondering if i can roll it back enough to make it work with the tunnel/bulked height? i no when i put it on my old wedge chassis my van am tunnel was 2 inchs taller then stock

M
Jul 9, 2009
I just swapped an ultra motor into a 93 xlt. main issues I ran into were
-the pipes, since the ultra pipes would not fit in my chasis.
-Motor mounts needed alittle modification
-the airbox needed modification
-had to get inventive with the oiltank and fluid tank to get it all in and moved around.

We are still in the process of working out some bugs but mostly there were alot of head scratching moments when we ran into clearence issues that we did not think we would have since the bulkheads are the same from the ultra to my xlt.

let me know if you have any questions. I am not sure I did mine aswell as I could of but I can let you know where we went wrong and what we did to correct the issues.

U
Dec 5, 2007
I just swapped an ultra motor into a 93 xlt. main issues I ran into were
-the pipes, since the ultra pipes would not fit in my chasis.
-Motor mounts needed alittle modification
-the airbox needed modification
-had to get inventive with the oiltank and fluid tank to get it all in and moved around.

We are still in the process of working out some bugs but mostly there were alot of head scratching moments when we ran into clearence issues that we did not think we would have since the bulkheads are the same from the ultra to my xlt.

let me know if you have any questions. I am not sure I did mine aswell as I could of but I can let you know where we went wrong and what we did to correct the issues.

pretty sure your chassis is alittle differnt then a 97 and i no for sure the steering is, i am running premix and pod filters, two less things to worry about, also running an edge coolant bottle

U
Dec 5, 2007
ok i have a major problem here:eek: my engine straps land right onto one of the rack steering posts, so i am wondering if i can use an engine plate from a 700 or if the straps from a 97 ultra are not straight and will land on the 700 mounts? someone please help me out the snows fallin and my sled is beggin for a motor:(:present::present:

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
You can sure try the 700 plate, but im pretty sure its not wide enough for the tripple. u might have to take the motor straps off and lay them in where they need to go in the chassis and then lay the motor on top of them, get all your clutches lined up and go from there, might have to make some new mounting holes in the motor mounts.

good luck

CK

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
plate....straps.....hmm

I think I would make a mix, I would pattern a new plate after the 700 plate that incorporate the 700 chassis mounts and is also wide enough to bolt onto the 680 triple. It would be a matter of making a cardboard pattern and cutting it out of a thick sheet of aluminum and bending it to match the 700 plate.......just my 2cents....

U
Dec 5, 2007
I think I would make a mix, I would pattern a new plate after the 700 plate that incorporate the 700 chassis mounts and is also wide enough to bolt onto the 680 triple. It would be a matter of making a cardboard pattern and cutting it out of a thick sheet of aluminum and bending it to match the 700 plate.......just my 2cents....

and my thought as well;) i am just wondering what grade aluminum would work best be tough enough to bend and not brake... aswell as where i could take the plate to have it bent up

Premium Features