• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Jumping ship.....maybe to the dark side???

T
Feb 24, 2011
HILLS OF SOUTHWEST MONTANA
Go try a poo for a few seasons. Everyone will be on snowbikes in a few years anyways so you might as well say you tried everything.

Been there have the T-shirt. Sold my sled bought a bike and a kit and had over $15,000 in to it. Rode it for a year and sold it for a sled....just not the same. I will say that there are days I wish I had both in the trailer but I can't justify that many Nickles for both.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Same here -- had a snow-bike all modded out for 3 seasons now got a new sled last year and the bike is up for sale, barely ride it anymore was a backup sled for almost 2 seasons. 60 HP is just not enough. Also there is no effort required to go anywhere -- slow and steady sidhilling were ever you go.
I figure once I am in my 70s and a sled and stand up riding gets to be to hard for me I will go back to a snowlike. Right now I have to much fun on my sled.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I too am bored with Skidoo's offerings. The T3 154 and terrible colors weren't enough to sway me to snowcheck again this year. I've got two years warranty left, hopefully they come up with something worth the upgrade.

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
I came from a 2013 pro rmk 155. That was my first sled back in 2012. That's what I started learning to ride in the mountains on. I loved that sled. Not 1 issue. I'm not brand loyal at all and I switched to a 2015 summit x 154 to see what they were like. I'm blown away by this sled. The t-motion and etec blew me away. I think the width of the summit x is just fine and the power is great although more is always welcome. For me, Polaris would really have to have something special to try them again. 2013 pro rmk was reviewed by several people as sled of the year and they claim "most flickable" but I toss my summit x around SO much easier and it is above and beyond that pro rmk (for me and the way I ride). Sure the X is heavier but the way that thing gets around I could never tell. Especially after ditching the suitcase muffler. The lightest sled with 168hp is appealing but we will see if it can be tossed as easy as a flex edge t-motion. RAS front suspension on the t3 sleds is nice too. Oh, and 4 year warranty is a thing of beauty too.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
OEM snowbikes are coming, and hopefully the 60 horse turns into 160.

Poo bought Timbersled, Arctic Cat build a kit for Hay Days, and pretty sure Doo is looking at it as well.

Climbing around on a motorized couch to sidehill is retarded.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
This holds true for me also. If the Axys runs solid this year it's going to be hard not to pick one up next season even if Doo's on a new chassis.

Poo motor usually holds up for one year though. At least that is when discussing the ring and piston issues. I would rather see what two years does to them. I went the other the other way. Been on Poo since 2002. Sold my 2013 Pro 8 and Snochecked a T3 163. Tired of being broke down. NOT saying it's everyones luck, just my luck and I am sick and tired of it so I am going to try and different brand. Ski-doo seems to have a fairly reliable motor. I am willing to give up 40 pounds to be riding my 800 T3 every trip out instead of my 600 back up sled.

I hope Polaris has ALL their issues figured out in Axys. It will only make our sport better.

S
Nov 30, 2007
cda, idaho
Go try a poo for a few seasons. Everyone will be on snowbikes in a few years anyways so you might as well say you tried everything.

yep, i see the market going away from sleds and the snow bike market making leaps and bounds...

they are fun, the day i rode one, it was crap snow, but i could see how they would be a blast to ride

D
Dec 11, 2008
Livingston MT
Ive ridden a few snow bikes. One being a turboed 2012 yz450. They are really fun, and you can do slow technical nasty side hills all day. I would still rather ride my snowmobile. just not the same. I'll leave my dirt tire on the bike during the winter.

K
Nov 7, 2009
Doo changes

I'm with the "I may switch" sentiment. I have an 09 154 X, love it and haven't had anything major happen with it. I do like the improvements doo has made to the XM. (great start). I have contemplated getting a 16 and have looked at both doo and poo.

I would like to be able to buy a new doo and not "have to" make changes to my suspension, exhaust and clutch. Already spending $13k plus on sled, they should be able to add without additional cost. They have made improvements to the boards, but poo wins hands down on that one.

Proposed changes.
  • Suspension - When is doo going to drop HPG and offer a third party stock (fox) option
  • Further modernize the rear suspension - Get rid of the antiquated springs (that design is soooo old). See suspension above.
  • Clutch - make it right for the mountains 5k on up

K
Feb 13, 2012
Norway
Jumped from 2014 xm 154 to 2015 T3 174. There is a big difference. It sidehills easier and the rear end does not wash out as easy. Its about 1 inch taller, and it makes the sled easier to ride. I installed a post forward kit because i think its easier to sidehill the realy steep sides, you get more leverage when you do the wrong foot forward. Tried the dynamoe joe clutch kit i used on the 14,but it didnt work. The clutch setup is different on the 174, more accelleration at the bottom rpm. I like the T3 alot better than my 14 summit 154,and you do notice the difference if you ride technical sidehills etc. Even without the post forward kit. Not all riders like the post fwd,thats more a personal preference. The biggest issue with ski doo these days are the shocks, thats an expencive upgrade. I will try revalving them and maybe put on stiffers springs in the front.

Last edited:
Premium Features