• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SHR880 Challenge - bring it.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
We all know that there is giong to be animosity here. I mean look at it BJ and Slim are still all worked up over threads that are a month or so older.

So I would have to say they are still...Butt hurt as you say... or atleast a couple of old women.

Oh I don't think there butt hurt at all, just proud of his product, and tired of the bs I think... Not speaking for him by any means.... He builds a great product and is not afraid to back it up.. That's how I take it... Nothing wrong with pride and compassion for your business. Shows he cares.. The 880 has taken a lot of heat from Dave's guy,s.... I have 1,500 miles on mine now... Never even a hiccup.

Last edited:

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
I'm with Scratley. I think this would be best done at an UNSANCTIONED event where all the racing rules don't apply. We pick a hill, have someone start us and see who gets to the top first. Simple. Then, we consume a beer and do it again... Sounds pretty straight forward to me...

Just so everyone is clear, my sled is NOT an XP or an XM. I am on a REV chassis. Don't know if that makes a difference to anyone, but it's out there now.

J

Jimmy

Nov 27, 2007
Chiba, Colorado
I'm with Scratley. I think this would be best done at an UNSANCTIONED event where all the racing rules don't apply. We pick a hill, have someone start us and see who gets to the top first. Simple. Then, we consume a beer and do it again... Sounds pretty straight forward to me...

Just so everyone is clear, my sled is NOT an XP or an XM. I am on a REV chassis. Don't know if that makes a difference to anyone, but it's out there now.

Yes because that works so well at Fairview? Hell half the time people dont know who's sled was the all out fastest... Let alone who's semi-fast sled was faster then the next and Half the time a slow guy thinks he won the whole thing... If you are afraid of rules or racing dont come...but dont try to have a unsanctioned event and hang you hat on who is better than the other on it.:doh:

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
Yes because that works so well at Fairview? Hell half the time people dont know who's sled was the all out fastest... Let alone who's semi-fast sled was faster then the next and Half the time a slow guy thinks he won the whole thing... If you are afraid of rules or racing dont come...but dont try to have a unsanctioned event and hang you hat on who is better than the other on it.:doh:
Easy killer. This is supposed to be a fun get together. If you don't like the way that we are talking about having it, then don't participate. It's that easy. This is a FORUM. It's not gospel by any means. Our findings from this get together (and the people involved will decide how we run it, not people who don't show up) will be just that... OUR FINDINGS. Will the results be the same on every hill across the board for every rider on every sled with each different BB?? Absolutely not...

J

Jimmy

Nov 27, 2007
Chiba, Colorado
Easy killer. This is supposed to be a fun get together. If you don't like the way that we are talking about having it, then don't participate. It's that easy. This is a FORUM. It's not gospel by any means. Our findings from this get together (and the people involved will decide how we run it, not people who don't show up) will be just that... OUR FINDINGS. Will the results be the same on every hill across the board for every rider on every sled with each different BB?? Absolutely not...

Easy Killer? Did you read the first post or even the heading to this thread? One BB builder is trying to call out a specific set of people, and want to Video it to stop all the "BS". Doesnt sound to friendly to me, sounds like someone is trying to make a point. But, only when things are in their control and by their rules.

Kevin how good of a tuner are you? How much time have you spent clutching and getting your sled dialed in? Are you willing to put your sled up against Slim. A sled that BJ has personally tuned on and say you represent the best tuned and clutched Trygstad motor there? So it can be videoed and posted on the internet to end all the BS of who's stuff runs better?

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
Easy Killer? Did you read the first post or even the heading to this thread? One BB builder is trying to call out a specific set of people, and want to Video it to stop all the "BS". Doesnt sound to friendly to me, sounds like someone is trying to make a point. But, only when things are in their control and by their rules.

Kevin how good of a tuner are you? How much time have you spent clutching and getting your sled dialed in? Are you willing to put your sled up against Slim. A sled that BJ has personally tuned on and say you represent the best tuned and clutched Trygstad motor there? So it can be videoed and posted on the internet to end all the BS of who's stuff runs better?
Am I willing to run against Slim? Absolutely. Do I expect to beat him? No. Is that stopping me? Hell no. I have never once stated that I have the best tuned and clutched Trygstad engine out there. That would be stupid. I have stated in this thread that my engine is BRAND NEW. It has 25 miles on it. Hell, I haven't had the thing wide open for more than 5 seconds in one shot. That doesn't change the fact that I am willing to meet up with some people off the board and see how his sled is running. I have ran against turboed sleds knowing full well that I am going to get my a$$ handed to me, but that doesn't mean I'm not having fun. If they want to post videos, then let them. I could care less.

I'm not loyal to any one brand nor am I in anyone's pocket. I purchased Dave's engine because I have ridden sleds with his engines in them. I'm not saying it is better than the SHR or RKT. I can't. I have nothing to compare it to as I have neither ridden one or ridden with them.

What you don't see are the PM's that Scratley and I have shared and discussed at length with Slim about meeting up and doing this before this thread ever started.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
OK...

this is like JR high...:face-icon-small-dis

clearly some of you don't get the simplest of things...

guess what? YOU don't get to shoot your mouths off and NOT get called OUT...

simple...get together, same hill, same day and ride...this is for fun/bragging rights/prove a thing or two...

there are basically no rules (just no power adders aka NOS/turbos/3" 174 tracks)...872 vs 880 XP/XM/rev with 2.5" tracks...apples/apples

no 500' drags on flat ground
no Jackson hole BS
no pounded flat Fairview up hill drags

real world backcountry riding where we all ride...lets see who can get to the top or highest!!!

as for butt hurt??

I only see 1 guy stepping up (the rest??)...and he wasn't part of the crap started a couple months ago...

*I have not even ridden slims sled...I sent him a motor/clutch kit and a gear...just like ALL my customers...so Jimmy, stop making excuses...already.

-BJ

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
Here is my sled:
2007 Summit X with Trygstad 872 (1650 miles. 25 on new engine)
Airbox: Stock
Reeds: Stock
Y-pipe: Stock
Pipe: Stock
Can: HPS
Primary: TRA-III with 441 ramps, 160/350 spring (I think it's Blk/Pnk/Pur) and currently 16.5 grams of weight
Secondary: Team TIED with Blk/Wht (160/260) spring and a straight 60 Helix
Carbs: Stock with 17 pilots. Needles on the 2nd clip. 560 PTO main and 540 MAG main.
Gearing: 20 tooth up top and 49 on the bottom

Suspension: Stock cranked up

Track: 154" 2.5 CE

Everything else is stock other than a 2 wheel kit, drop brackets, etc, etc...

I currently run 3 gallons of 100LL per tank mixed with 91 non-eth.

Last edited:
J

Jimmy

Nov 27, 2007
Chiba, Colorado
OK...

this is like JR high...:face-icon-small-dis

clearly some of you don't get the simplest of things...

guess what? YOU don't get to shoot your mouths off and NOT get called OUT...

simple...get together, same hill, same day and ride...this is for fun/bragging rights/prove a thing or two...

there are basically no rules (just no power adders aka NOS/turbos/3" 174 tracks)...872 vs 880 XP/XM/rev with 2.5" tracks...apples/apples

no 500' drags on flat ground
no Jackson hole BS
no pounded flat Fairview up hill drags

real world backcountry riding where we all ride...lets see who can get to the top or highest!!!

as for butt hurt??

I only see 1 guy stepping up (the rest??)...and he wasn't part of the crap started a couple months ago...

*I have not even ridden slims sled...I sent him a motor/clutch kit and a gear...just like ALL my customers...so Jimmy, stop making excuses...already.

-BJ

Ugh, it's exactly like JR high and you boys called everyone out to the Playground at 3:30.

Adults grow up and move on.. Not harbor resentment for months on end.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
This is an observation from an impartial person. I don't own a Doo or a big bore. What I find odd is that BJ sends out a big bore and clutching setup and everyone seems to be fairly happy. Triggstad sends out a big bore and leaves it up to the individual person to get the clutching right? He has been building these motors for many years and I would think there would be a tried and true clutch setup. Tuning shouldn't even be part of the equation. If I am wrong on this, I apologize. I realize there can be differences based on weight of the pilot, but other than that, why such a secret on clutching the 872. If I'm full of it, someone will tell me. :face-icon-small-ton

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
clutch

Dave sells a clutch kit. I think one from team and one that is set up by all the hillclimb guys is Star Valley. There are so many ways to clutch that people differ so much. I think dave likes the tts-04 over the tied.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I just went on the Trygstad web site and see he offers clutching. Just seems to be more questions on the clutching than for the SHR setup. Maybe that's my imagination.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
So

I have NO recourse?

It's OK to get thrown under the bus for months...

now it's time for a little side/side comparison....and the ones who were chirping before are now whining about getting call out??

I'm the bad guy?

You guys don't get to play both sides...

Let's go on the hill and see...BJ

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
This is an observation from an impartial person. I don't own a Doo or a big bore. What I find odd is that BJ sends out a big bore and clutching setup and everyone seems to be fairly happy. Triggstad sends out a big bore and leaves it up to the individual person to get the clutching right? He has been building these motors for many years and I would think there would be a tried and true clutch setup. Tuning shouldn't even be part of the equation. If I am wrong on this, I apologize. I realize there can be differences based on weight of the pilot, but other than that, why such a secret on clutching the 872. If I'm full of it, someone will tell me. :face-icon-small-ton
I do know that Dave sells a clutch kit that you can have sent with your engine. I personally went with Team. I already had the Team TIED secondary, so I called up Jason at Team and he set me up based on my weight, track and elevation. He also set me up with my gearing. Very easy to work with.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I just went on the Trygstad web site and see he offers clutching. Just seems to be more questions on the clutching than for the SHR setup. Maybe that's my imagination.

I think if your client base is predominately novice, inexperienced tuners providing clutching and gearing is crucial. On the other hand if your client base is predominately experienced racers and tuners providing clutching and gearing info may not be so crucial.

Sled Head Racing, nobody is throwing you under the bus . You came on here made the challenge and much to your own doing you called people out...Curious to know how many of your BB kits are in use with RMSHA riders ?

DPG

Last edited:
K

KMCP

Nov 1, 2013
CO
All nice guys,,, just for fun... Non-sanctioned event..
It's all fun until it's over ---- there's always a cheater!

Get real guys, any real comparison needs to be sanctioned and with a tech inspection. No way around it, period.

Agree with the post below... Use the event in crested butte where the real racers and tuners will be!

Premium Features