• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SHR880 Challenge - bring it.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
This whole thing is silly. I've got a stock motor, and there's no reason to run anything else. You guys need to come to my house so I can prove it to you. I'll make sure deep pow guy is there, for this flatland matchup... it's gonna be sick.:D

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Feeling kinda lonely as the only 872 to step forward so far... And I wasn't even involved in the pissing match!! Haha

Seems no one is ever asked to be involved, we just... Haha! Think we need more snow huh? Weather man just said no new snow for next two weeks... Not cool!

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I disagree. Drag racing requires a MUCH different set up than what works on the mountain. I could care less how fast my sled goes in a 500 foot straight, I want to know if I can carry track speed in 3 foot of powder up a chute.

I agree with the exception that track speed is track speed especially at altitudes where your rated sea level HP is cut by 1/3 rd or more. The Thayne Snow Days is not your typical drag race either. Snow Days in Thayne is a fun family event predominantly made up of mountain sleds displaying how fast there mountain sleds run down a straight away with a radar gun as proof.

If your sled will not go to fast in a 500 hundred foot straight line ( you don't have to be drag racing ) it certainly won't run fast up any hill with 3 feet of powder.

If you truly have a fast motor you can clutch your fast motor to operate under any condition.

DPG

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Back in 02 in Mn I had an mxz 700 and 800, both stock, the 800 could never beat the 7 in 500 ft, 600 ft started walking by.. In the mountains huge difference. Don't get me wrong had a blast back then racing.. Buddy had 500 at the time and that thing would hang to around 300 ft... At 500 ft my buddies turbo is 3 sled lengths back at a 1000 ft he is right there.. He is at 250 hp... He has way more hp than me.. Just saying more horsepower does not always win in 500 ft. But I do understand what your saying, does a drag race setup 146 have an advantage in 500ft he'll ya..

Last edited:
D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
The longer the track is certainly not ideal for drag racing. Lining up 163 vs 163 or 154 vs 154 or 146 vs 146 with what ever you have under the hood is how they do it at Thayne Snow days.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
idea

u guys should all run the qualifier at jackson. i cant see a more fair race. an xm will most likey out climb an xp everything else equal?

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
u guys should all run the qualifier at jackson. i cant see a more fair race. an xm will most likey out climb an xp everything else equal?

That sounds like work, and I am guessing they frown on having a beer or two... Not sure if an xm will will out climb an Xp all things being equal tracks, shocks suspension... The xm,s do run hard though, guess I have not seen a stock Xp run against a stock xm yet.... You like your xm that much better? My Xp is about as close to an xm as you can get... Have changed everything as you know... I really like my Xp now

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
sled

The qualifier is in the am snowdevils run it I think. It is hard to tell I never had t motion on my xp. I do like my sled it is a different animal comes around alot faster. I think the track makes a big difference also. The 14 runs a lot harder out of the box than the 11. I have not ever touched clutching yet. I know this xm would out preform my 11 xp. But other than that who know. I bet a bb 14 runs hard as hell.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
If you have a strong motor that makes track speed racing down the flats or up a mountain doesn't matter...Anyone that races up mountains will tell you the track speed is made at the bottom of the mountain (first 500 feet ) which will propel your sled up the mountain and to the top. Clutching is important as well.

It's funny hearing the excuses coming from guys who call people out. :horn:

DPG

Last edited:

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
I took the t-motion off and put the timbersled on, night and day better, also did spindles and skis this yr. That along with s36 and everything else has really helped sled perform.... Rode the xm side by side and really dot see that big of difference, except the weight, Haha!

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
So this is an Etec to Etec comparison correct? I'm not sure a carbed to Etec comparison is apples to apples. As far as a Mtn race you are pretty safe in assuming someone will be riding up above Thayne the weekend of snowdays for a BB race comparison. I am not sure why all the "weight" of the better motor is solely put on who is faster. That is why we do a mod like this but doesn't reliability mean anything? I mean that is why we are riding XM's instead of Pros right? I guess that is what snowest is for, if someones BB goes down there will be a nice long rant thread about every detail. Another thing to consider, not everyone who owns a sled is on snowest, mainly just degenerates like myself who get sucked in to the banter, I guess. I would say the Thayne snow days or Fairview would be the best opportunity for a bigger group race.

J

Jimmy

Nov 27, 2007
Chiba, Colorado
So let me get this straight so I understand you Bozo's. You want to call people out but only by your rules? What ever happened to the any place any time call outs?

Scratley doesnt want a sanctioned event so he can drink beer and race? Thats who I want to line up against.

Slim wants to bring a sled that has been tuned by BJ in hopes of hopping some guy with a 872 that has been tuned by some schmo and make it look bad on video?

The only way the scheme works is to have it at a sanctioned event, thats the only way you will get guys that know how to truly tune to the condtions. Everything else were you Bozo's call the shots is a set up.

Look we all know that just because a sled was built by one builder doesnt mean its going to run at its top. It is all up to the owner and how good of a tuner he is. One of BJ's motors can be a turd or one of Daves or any other builders can be too, depending on the owner and his ability to tune.

Afraid of Jackson? Bring it to Crested Butte on April 10-13 for the Ultimate Snowmobiler competition and have a end of the year shoot out. Go into summer with a big smile on your face or a frown..... depending on how you do.

Elevation: 9000 Ft

Race type : Hill drags, Hill cross or Hill climb all up hill and at elevation boys.....

Last edited:

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
So let me get this straight so I understand you Bozo's. You want to call people out but only by your rules? What ever happened to the any place any time call outs?

Scratley doesnt want a sanctioned event so he can drink beer and race? Thats who I want to line up against.

Slim wants to bring a sled that has been tuned by BJ in hopes of hopping some guy with a 872 that has been tuned by some schmo and make it look bad on video?

The only way the scheme works is to have it at a sanctioned event, thats the only way you will get guys that know how to truly tune to the condtions. Everything else were you Bozo's call the shots is a set up.

Look we all know that just because a sled was built by one builder doesnt mean its going to run at its top. It is all up to the owner and how good of a tuner he is. One of BJ's motors can be a turd or one of Daves or any other builders can be too, depending on the owner and his ability to tune.

Afraid of Jackson? Bring it to Crested Butte on April 10-13 for the Ulitmate Snowmobiler competition and have a end of the year shoot out. Go into summer with a big smile on your face or a frown..... depending on how you do.

Elevation: 9000 Ft

Race type : Hill drags, Hill cross or Hill climb all up hill and at elevation boys.....
Be nice to just have a fun day on the mountain, couple good ole boys, couple beers ( 2 or 3 ) is what I meant... Just plain fun, no bs rules no butt hurt feelings, no crying etc ect....

J

Jimmy

Nov 27, 2007
Chiba, Colorado
Be nice to just have a fun day on the mountain, couple good ole boys, couple beers ( 2 or 3 ) is what I meant... Just plain fun, no bs rules no butt hurt feelings, no crying etc ect....

We all know that there is giong to be animosity here. I mean look at it BJ and Slim are still all worked up over threads that are a month or so older.

So I would have to say they are still...Butt hurt as you say... or atleast a couple of old women.

Premium Features