• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear axle issues!

M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
14 freeride lost the mag side bolt which took out the rail, both plastic block spacers and an axle. Pretty pumped at 400 miles. Parts are 2 weeks out. I bent the rail back, used cat plastic block spacers then ground a stud backer to fit the slot, dilled and tapped the axle and put it back with a longer bolt and big washer. Held for 400 more miles and I pick up the parts this week. dealer won't warranty.

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
I checked mine and the mag side was loose, not finger loose but not real snug either. Put a wrench to it and tightened it up, and the other side a bit too. Can you over tighten? I didn't have my torque wrench with me but I may have gone over 35lbs. I didn't crank on em either.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State
Had less than 5 miles on mine when i read this post.......glad i did. Had yellow (apparently loctite" on bolts but sure as heck was not tight, exhaust side bolt was pretty much finger tight. Cleaned bolts and uses blue loctite........now for the oil line check.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Had less than 5 miles on mine when i read this post.......glad i did. Had yellow (apparently loctite" on bolts but sure as heck was not tight, exhaust side bolt was pretty much finger tight. Cleaned bolts and uses blue loctite........now for the oil line check.

Learned about the oil line check today, not my sled but it seized up tight on its first ride.

E

EZ Ryder

Nov 17, 2013
Summitboy, there is a thread on the oil line thing, titled 2014 owners check :peace:

T
Jan 19, 2008
Sexsmith, Ab
I finally got my sled back from the dealer. New track, rails, axle, t motion and after noticing a vibration they put a new driveshaft in as well. All on warranty and they also told me that BRP told them that the bolts had yellow lock tight and were torqued to 25 ft pounds from factory so now all they did different was put blue lock tight on the bolts and torque to 28 ft pounds. Ill be keeping an eye on it and my new aluminum blocks just showed up too, so ill be adding them. What a piss off is all I have to say. Thanx everybody.

W
Jan 20, 2012
I finally got my sled back from the dealer. New track, rails, axle, t motion and after noticing a vibration they put a new driveshaft in as well. All on warranty and they also told me that BRP told them that the bolts had yellow lock tight and were torqued to 25 ft pounds from factory so now all they did different was put blue lock tight on the bolts and torque to 28 ft pounds. Ill be keeping an eye on it and my new aluminum blocks just showed up too, so ill be adding them. What a piss off is all I have to say. Thanx everybody.

I thought torque was 35 ft pounds?

T
Jan 19, 2008
Sexsmith, Ab
My dealer says it was 25 and is now 28. I don't know if they are rite about it or not. I torqued them a bit more today anyway and went for a rip. Also shortened my limiter strap a notch and WOW does the front end ever stay down a lot better.

whitewash

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2008
Lewiston, Idaho
Owners manual says 35 ft. lbs., its in the track adjustment section. I checked the 13 and 14 today, both were loose, blue loctite and retorque, hopefull it stays together.

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
Probably not the case, but if dealers were told to torque @ 25 ft pounds, it's not surprising the bolts are coming loose.

not shure about what they torqued it to but checked my 13 and the r/ side was loose dealer had adjusted it at 250 miles it now has over 560 miles on it, that was put on in less than 1 month of running time. didn't have torque numbers so jut torqued it by feel in the trailer, will do the locktite thing soon along with torque values.

S

STEVE TWEET

Jan 20, 2010
well I had the time to throw the t-motion on the '12 this weekend and since I had the torque wrench out I decided to check things over on the '13 and well guess what.........the rear axel was at a wopping 12 ft/lbs :face-icon-small-dis. So I took them out and put some blue locktite on them and threw them back in at 35 ft/lbs and hope they stay this time.

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I've checked mine a couple times since reading this post. BRP used a small amount of yellow loctite and both sides were 22 lbs. Had to tighten the track today, took one of the washers off and may pull the other, along with more loctite, I want that bolt as deep in the threads as I can get it.

Premium Features