• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do shocks really matter on a mountain sled?

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
In the skid yes.. They are a bug improvement in helping your skid work right.. I rode a sled last weekend with Raptors all the way around... All I can say is wow! I run exits.. Huge improvement over stock.. Stock shocks are pretty much shot after 500 miles

G

gorilla

Feb 9, 2012
middle of no where
I sure hope it is worth it. Just ordered Tom's e-motion for the rear and Fox R EVOL for the front. Guess I'll find out in a few weeks. :face-icon-small-ton

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The difference is HUGE. I could care less about trail performance, so that's not even a factor, but how the suspension performs is what keeps you in contact with the snow... it's your interface with the mountain essentially. Suspension is such an often overlooked thing on sleds.

T
Oct 17, 2010
Vancouver, WA
In the skid yes.. They are a bug improvement in helping your skid work right.. I rode a sled last weekend with Raptors all the way around... All I can say is wow! I run exits.. Huge improvement over stock.. Stock shocks are pretty much shot after 500 miles

So the front shocks don't really matter and my stock shocks should be good until I reach 500 miles?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
So the front shocks don't really matter and my stock shocks should be good until I reach 500 miles?

I'm at 550... and mine are pitifully shot. I love this sled, but the suspension shouldn't even be sold to grown-ups (not sure I qualify :D ) imo.

Ski shocks have noticeably degraded, but the skid imo has been junk since I got it (the rear anyhow, the center isn't that bad)

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
And you DO want good shocks up front. NOBODY is deep powder carving with skis in the air from the moment you leave the trailer until you return 100% of the ride.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I just upgraded shocks on my '13X....I only had 350 fairly mellow miles on it last year, no big jumps or drops. One shock had oil leaking already. I would say 500 miles is generous, even the X shocks.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I had Raptors and a Kmod on my M series, they were definitely worth the upgrade.

Raptors are a great shox. Only downside is they are heavy.extra 3 lbs each over my Evol R,s. Downside for E vol R,s Float is the factory valving is absolute Garbage and require re-valve work.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I didn't notice the extra 12lbs on the sled, that's for sure!

I didn't realize the X shocks were so crappy? Winter Brew, what did you change yours to?

If only the Raptors weren't so darn pricey...

M
Nov 13, 2008
shox

I used to think the same way until I put a Timbersled skid with Fox shocks and Floats up front. Wow!...what a difference and the Fox shocks are on the bottom of the list as far as replacements compared to Raptors or Exits from what I hear. Think of it as putting ****ty tires or good tires on your vehicle, well...........actually you might have to ride a sled with shocks to see what everyone is talking about. I used to think they were a non-essential item also. Think about a ride to your favorite spot, then think how the sled is working to get you there, mainly the suspension and you'll realize how critical they are.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Keep in mind though... lots of guys buy these super expensive shocks... but the reality is if you take cheaper shocks (x shocks, floats, zero pros...) and get them valved properly, and it's a whole new world.

A BIG part of what makes the "better" shocks better is the attention to proper valving, and setup for the rider.

I've ridden stock floats on a cat, and then ridden some that have been re-valved or even just have new or thicker oil, and it's a whole new world.

My float 3's that showed up today are getting sent to Bparks on here asap, and are having an air chamber added, adding thicker oil, and getting the shock shaft switched over to TI to save even more weight in the front end. Thicker oil is essentially a poor man's valve job, just slows it down a bit better.

It's not really all about "the" shock as much as it is THE SETUP.

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
I wouldnt use an air shock again. Had Evol Rs all the way around on my last sled and they worked good, but they just dont feel like a coilover. Im curious to try a set of raptors. They are a lot of money but its one of those things that a guy can always take out and put on the next sled.....assuming the specs dont change.

And I agree that suspension is one of the best upgrades you can possibly do to your sled.

T
Oct 17, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Keep in mind though... lots of guys buy these super expensive shocks... but the reality is if you take cheaper shocks (x shocks, floats, zero pros...) and get them valved properly, and it's a whole new world.

A BIG part of what makes the "better" shocks better is the attention to proper valving, and setup for the rider.

I've ridden stock floats on a cat, and then ridden some that have been re-valved or even just have new or thicker oil, and it's a whole new world.

My float 3's that showed up today are getting sent to Bparks on here asap, and are having an air chamber added, adding thicker oil, and getting the shock shaft switched over to TI to save even more weight in the front end. Thicker oil is essentially a poor man's valve job, just slows it down a bit better.

It's not really all about "the" shock as much as it is THE SETUP.

I've got some Zero Pros on the skid of my 06 REV Summit. Will they fit the XM if I get them revalved?

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
Have riders noticed a big improvement getting their summit X shocks serviced and revalved after a 500-1000 miles? That was my plan after riding this season and a big selling point in buying the X model over the SP.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY

They matter... But not as much as the rear shocks in the powder. I run a timbersled skid.. One of the best mods I have done. Sled handles so much better

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Just got fox evol rc2's and wow. Difference is night and day. I have only done the fronts so far. Can't wait to get toms emotion. So smooth.

Premium Features