• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XPS Oil

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
no offense, but how many times do we have to say it isn't about the cost?? it is about the fact there are as good or even better oils out there. :face-icon-small-hap

Some folks just don't WANT to understand.

Having done tests, seen other tests, and seen real world results from many years on many sleds... I know what I run isn't going to change. I just don't want someone else being suckered into having to pay a stealer for XPS especially since many of them don't treat their customers as well as they should and don't deserve the business.

The guys getting it for $20 a gallon are killin it... that's hard to complain about, and obviously their dealer is working to earn their business! If I was getting XPS for that I'd probably still run what I run though... which is the whole point... the customer DOES have a choice.

Last edited:
S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i just payed 15 for a quart of ves.what a dumazz.LOL
no price on it,they screw you at the register

Last edited:

gr8skidoo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
MAPLE VALLEY WA.
WWW.I-90MOTORSPORTS.COM
Why hasn't a dealer tech,salesman,shop manager, dealer owner stated the facts from a dealer side?
Fear of termination or fines and lawsuit? I know they are on here reading this. Set the facts out there in a (sticky)so the oil void warranty threads stop taking up space. No wonder we are being charged now.:face-icon-small-coo

Thanks for the invite Randy but i'm sure you know the answer! We have to send in old parts for warranty claims such as pistons, cylinders, cranks, and cases. they can test carbon deposits and residue in all these parts to determine what oil is being used...As dealers we are working for the manufacturer as an agent for warranty they determine what is covered by what we tell them and what they see. They are paying us accordingly. We see more failures with non BRP oils than with XPS oil running machines. Remember they designed their Synthetic oil specifically for the E-Tec engines a couple years ago.. and finally we have never had a denied claim due to the wrong oil being used....

gr8skidoo said:
Quote: . and finally we have never had a denied claim due to the wrong oil being used....

By wrong oil do you mean oil that does not meet brp requirements or do you mean anything that is not XPS? technically, they cannot deny a claim if an oil was used other than XPS if it meets the specs.

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
Thanks for the invite Randy but i'm sure you know the answer! We have to send in old parts for warranty claims such as pistons, cylinders, cranks, and cases. they can test carbon deposits and residue in all these parts to determine what oil is being used...As dealers we are working for the manufacturer as an agent for warranty they determine what is covered by what we tell them and what they see. They are paying us accordingly. We see more failures with non BRP oils than with XPS oil running machines. Remember they designed their Synthetic oil specifically for the E-Tec engines a couple years ago.. and finally we have never had a denied claim due to the wrong oil being used....

Your welcome Remko. :face-icon-small-cooSorry I didn't call ya about the continuing drama on the oil. Yes I know the answer, found out years ago. I thought if a reputable dealer let the snowest subscribers know how it works.

D
Jan 4, 2010
colorado
We see more failures with non BRP oils than with XPS oil running machines. Remember they designed their Synthetic oil specifically for the E-Tec engines a couple years ago.. and finally we have never had a denied claim due to the wrong oil being used....[/QUOTE]

So when BRP tests the residue on the crank or another part and find that the oil is not XPS and is a lesser quality oil then XPS specs. What happens then since they were using a lower quality oil then recommended. Thanks for the info

R
Nov 23, 2013
AMS oil

I hate addvertising for any corp. Butt I run a stock sled and a turbo sled , a friend owns a ski-doo shop and swears buy ski-doo oil ? It seems o me that he changes out a lot of pistons , when using dooo oil ? Ams oil burns clean and protects internal parts really well!!! I would not use doo oil !!!!!!!

Tedzz

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2013
Oil

It is illegal for manufactures to force you to use their oil products... They use the FUD strategy on consumers Fear Uncertainly and Doubt
They make a good profit on accessory items and their branded products.
BRP doesn't manufacture oil...it is manufactured for them and packaged in their packaging
If they tell you different ask them to put it in an email
Just Saying

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
It is illegal for manufactures to force you to use their oil products... They use the FUD strategy on consumers Fear Uncertainly and Doubt
They make a good profit on accessory items and their branded products.
BRP doesn't manufacture oil...it is manufactured for them and packaged in their packaging
If they tell you different ask them to put it in an email
Just Saying

Lies... all lies, BRP spent years & countless minutes of R&D developing this one & only wonder oil that is the ONLY oil that works in an ETEC motor. How dare you doubt them.:face-icon-small-win

Btw, just checked pricing at my local dealer and my oil guy, I could save $8 a gallon buying XPS now.

Last edited:

Tedzz

Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2013
Lies... all lies, BRP spent years & countless minutes of R&D developing this one & only wonder oil that is the ONLY oil that works in an ETEC motor. How dare you doubt them.:face-icon-small-win

Btw, just checked pricing at my local dealer and my oil guy, I could save $8 a gallon buying XPS now.

I know hard to believe LOL...I own 2 BRP's so I like them...as long as you buy reputable oil products that "meet" spec you should be ok

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
I find it hilarious how many people run brand X oil and say how much better it is when they really don't know jack sheet and only run it because they save $1-2 per gallon.

Sounds like some people are really getting screwed on XPS by their dealer.

D
Jan 4, 2010
colorado
I just received an email response from XPS about there XPS full synthetic qualification and the smell. Here is what they said….

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for the question.

Unlike automotive, marine, and motorcycle oil production, the two-stroke small engine oil industry (including snowmobile engine oil) is unregulated. There are API, JASO and other classifications used on some snowmobile oil, but they are voluntary. So, to answer your question about seeing XPS oil certifications, there is nothing to provide since we do not certify to any standard.

Though the current synthetic and semi-synthetic XPS lubricants would likely exceed API-TC and JASO FD minimum performance levels, they are not certified in order to maintain confidentiality and protect the significant development cost of new oil. Since it is not required to certify snowmobile oil we do not do so in order to protect our formulation. At BRP, our oil is developed in three stages; the final stage is validation in every engine in application before earning engineering approval. With the new E-TEC technology, the latest generation of XPS was more than a $3 million investment and is a trade secret, hopefully preventing independent/aftermarket oil companies trying to copy and potentially manufacture a similar formula without the engineering and development expense.

XPS two-stroke snowmobile oils are application specific and have different viscosity and custom additive packages engineered for the highest performance and best engine protection in Ski-Doo engines. BRP has a long-standing engineering partnership with a supplier that leads the development of small engine lubrication products. Our supplier uses its in-house dyno facility and world class development laboratory to produce the only oil that BRP engineers approve for E-TEC to give Ski-Doo owners the best oil for peak performance, engine protection and engine longevity. When it comes to XPS lubricants, we are fully engaged with our oil partner and we mutually share intellectual property to optimize finished fluids – no other lubricant manufacturer can claim this or claim to know as much about the lubrication needs of our engines.

As for the smell, you may have noticed the change in color (last year) of our synthetic from brown to red. We identified the brown dye to be a contributing factor to the added odor. We have had positive feedback since that change. We would also like to point out that the E-TEC in general smokes substantially less than previous platforms and the odor is much improved since those days.

If you have any further questions, please fill out the form again at XPSlubricants.com, as we cannot receive replies to this email address.

Thank you for being a valued BRP customer. Enjoy the new Summit!

XPS Lubricants

G

gorilla

Feb 9, 2012
middle of no where
Well, there you have it. THEIR OIL ISN'T RATED!!! So, they can't legally tell you that the aftermarket oil you are using doesn't meet their standards since they have no set standards.

E

EZ Ryder

Nov 17, 2013
that is what I was referring to earlier in this thread when I called the article in the 2014 catalog "interesting", cuz the snowmobile oil industry isn't held to any specific standards, and now I guess we know BRP isn't either, good work.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Interesting stuff.

Agree or disagree, it's always nice to hear any info straight from the source, thanks for doing some legwork man.

Btw, we all talk aobut how little they use, but I did the math the last few times out, and MINE actually uses about 30:1... not really some super low ratio, and actually MORE than I've been mixing at for the last 6 years (32:1) I'm a 146, and I'm pinned much of the day because I enjoy riding that way, so I assume that's a big factor.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008

YOU DO NOT GET IT. NOT A SINGLE INSTANCE OF THIS HAS BEEN MENTIONED FIRST HAND. YOUR DEALER IS CLEARLY A TOOL AS HE IS WORKING TO CONVINCE YOU YOU NEED TO BUY THIS OIL, AND YOU'RE GULLIBLE ENOUGH TO DO IT. GIVE IT THE F*** UP.
The only thing you're doing here is convincing people that Steamboat Powersports is full of A holes.... and that you're ignorant enough to believe them. I've lived in town, built your library, built a few of the bigger hotels, and I wouldn't buy a spark plug from those con men. Other riders I know who live in town go all the way to the front range to buy their sleds for very good reason.

I spent some time in the boat when I did the continental divide bike route and had a lot of time to kill waiting for some bike parts to show up.

Nice work on that library.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I spent some time in the boat when I did the continental divide bike route and had a lot of time to kill waiting for some bike parts to show up.

Nice work on that library.

Looks like one of the gullibles found fault in your post... you're a bad bad man!

Never thought I'd have a use for trig again, that job got me plenty of practice :D

Premium Features