• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Light weight hood xm

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I've taken the same hit that took out my stock hood again with my DS hood...

Slid on side into tree, tree hitting hood just above bumper.
Stock hood took hit & smashed up because of sharp edges that want to catch tree, DS hood slightly dented nose and the tree slid up the mesh hitting & rolling back the bars/ riser. Pretty impressed, it left a bit of residue on the mesh at the spars, but zero damage. Loosened the riser, spun it back into place... and went about my day!

The smoothness of the M hood was the same way... if you hit something on the top of it, it just slid up to the lights & usually just kept going.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
id imagine it retains that nice "pine tree" smell for the rest of the day a little better than plastic too haha. i love that smell
<mytubeelement data="{"bundle":{"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","sound":"Sound","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_supported_on_your_browser":"No notification style supported on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_supported":"Not Supported","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for_this_site":"Click to enable for this site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null},"prefs":{"desktopNotification":true,"soundNotification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":false,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBuffer":false,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"hd1080","fshd":true,"onlyNotification":false,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":false,"hideAnnotations":false,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{"loadBundle":true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Finally got the chance to roll the Diamond S hood to get unstuck a couple times, no problems, doesnt let any noticable amount of snow through the mesh, plenty strong and sheds snow much better than I expected. No complaints here!

Rave

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2001
SE MN
If anyone wants to rid of their heavy, bulky, heat trapping stock hood and associated parts, I am in need of them. PM me if want to part with your stock stuff. Thanks

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Finally got the chance to roll the Diamond S hood to get unstuck a couple times, no problems, doesnt let any noticable amount of snow through the mesh, plenty strong and sheds snow much better than I expected. No complaints here!

HAHA.... dude I roll mine 4 or 5 times every day! That was one of the reasons I wanted it... the sled rolls much easier. The 154 with a stock hood is way harder to get past the tipping point.

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
SAE offers some sweet lights, good mounting, solid built.

Mounted a 6" lightbar to the riser. It sits a bit low and lights up the gauge, might move it up a couple inches later.

Mounted a couple in the shockwell. They light up pretty good, especially when I flick them all on at once.

IMG_1773.jpg

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Apparently its OK to run these mesh hoods without any intake prefilter whatsoever? Any opinions/experience on this? Scott at Diamond S said that's how he rolls and has had no issues.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Apparently its OK to run these mesh hoods without any intake prefilter whatsoever? Any opinions/experience on this? Scott at Diamond S said that's how he rolls and has had no issues.

I run a filter just incase any fine snow, dirt, belt dust or particles isn't getting sucked in. Being right above the belt I imagine its a possibility.

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
I like my Diamond S hood works great along the my vent kits. Its amazing how much less noise comes from the stock intake. I will be using ear plugs this week end. :thumbup: I use a blue silicone 60 deg elbow that the stock tube clamps to elbow with a prefilter on the end. I wouldn't run without it like winterbrew said keep all the junk out. :)
a6asu6u2.jpg

michelintireman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
I like my Diamond S hood works great along the my vent kits. Its amazing how much less noise comes from the stock intake. I will be using ear plugs this week end. :thumbup: I use a blue silicone 60 deg elbow that the stock tube clamps to elbow with a prefilter on the end. I wouldn't run without it like winterbrew said keep all the junk out. :)
a6asu6u2.jpg

I SEE YOU HAVE COOL LOOKING COVERS ON YOUR SHOCKS.THEY LOOK COOL BUT TRAP THE HEAT IN. I HAD THEM ON MINE AND CHECKED MY SHOCKS AFTER DOING SOME ROUGH TRAIL STUFF. MINE WHERE BURNING HOT ! MY BUDDIES SHOCKS WITH SAME SLED WHERE COOL .

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
what temps have you guys rode in with the mesh hood?any problems with throttle bodies freezing/sticking..even though they are heated.

146ev

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
a6asu6u2.jpg

Do you by chance have a picture of the way you rigged up your intake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bretras

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2008
The C3 Powersports, carbon hood looks great and weighs practically nothing.

BR_2928--f.jpg

Last edited:

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
no doubt the c3 is a great hood and looks super..but $1500
mountain fit looks nice as well,but the intake shelf with the dryer hose looks cheap and ineffective,how well does it connect to the stock tube?
diamond s concerns are in fine powdery snow,in temps below 0f ..does the powder get through the mesh?is the mesh like on the vent kits kinda like a rubberized mesh or is it a cloth type mesh?

the c3 is 3 times the cost for the same weight loss,but they have the cleanest looking setup..im leaning towards the diamond s,unless mountain fit comes up with a better intake connection

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
no doubt the c3 is a great hood and looks super..but $1500
mountain fit looks nice as well,but the intake shelf with the dryer hose looks cheap and ineffective,how well does it connect to the stock tube?
diamond s concerns are in fine powdery snow,in temps below 0f ..does the powder get through the mesh?is the mesh like on the vent kits kinda like a rubberized mesh or is it a cloth type mesh?

the c3 is 3 times the cost for the same weight loss,but they have the cleanest looking setup..im leaning towards the diamond s,unless mountain fit comes up with a better intake connection

The mesh is cloth... somehow it doesn't seem to take much snow in though. I've had a few cold, light, over the hood days and the only thing coming in is a little bit of water if you get stuck nose up with a bunch of snow on the hood while the sled is hot.

Took 2 punjis to the hood today alone... the fabric is WAY tougher that I would have given it credit for.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk

Premium Features