• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

OFT's "Yamaheater" Boost Module ???

bigrhett

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alpine, UT
Well I froze my hands this week so I got to thinking that since we ride mostly in the daylight I'm going to just unplug the low beam leads from the headlights and free up 110 watts that the heaters can use. I'll just turn on my high beams with the high low switch when I need lights. I might have cold hands at night but its a start.

M5

I don't know that doing this will actually help. I believe there's a "program" that is looking for certain parameters (probably mostly RPM) and not monitoring the actual draw in the system.

I say so because I have my headlights totally unplugged and without the yamaheater, the grips are still cold...

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I don't know that doing this will actually help. I believe there's a "program" that is looking for certain parameters (probably mostly RPM) and not monitoring the actual draw in the system.

I say so because I have my headlights totally unplugged and without the yamaheater, the grips are still cold...

Here is a video some tool made showing the changes in voltage output to the handwarmers for different RPM's.

If your hands are not getting warm, check to see if the stock elements have failed, mine were burnt out in several sections for the stock warmers.

The yamaheaters are a good idea, as getting a solid 12 volts to the handwarmers at all times should greatly increase their warmth. I had the rsi grip heaters, and just replaced them with some hot grips. I will be using the low configuration of the hot grips powered by the accessory DC source and the high configuration powered by the stock yamaha controls.

I am not sure how it will work, but it shouldn't be too bad.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Well, I just pulled the trigger and ordered a set of the YamaHeaters from OFT.

Look forward to having WARMER hands on some of those colder mid-winter mornings and evenings than I did this last winter!

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
last trip to the Snowys, my hands got cold so I unpluged the headlights. It did help ALOT, just left the lights un-pluged till one day we got back late so I pluged one light in and rode seemed to work fine. most likely will try to buy the Yamaheater over the summer

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thats an interesting idea.
Would have never thought of it.
Since the headlight is ALWAYS on, pulling the plug on it has to free up many watts of power that could be redirected at your cold hands!

Very Good Idea!!

C

charger0926

Nov 14, 2010
Elk Grove CA

Look forward to having WARMER hands on some of those colder mid-winter mornings and evenings than I did this last winter!

you will be totally happy with that purchase. i know rock and have been to his production facility back home and he is a top notch guy with the best service you can get. i just talked to him yesterday, so if you have any problems, let me know and i can get you in touch with him.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Sweet!
Pass along an invitation to him to come and join us here on SnoWest.
Always nice to see one of the manufacturers participating in support of the products they build for our sport.

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
I was involved with the early developments of the yamaheater and messed with capacitors, etc to get the grips to stay warmer. The yamaheater is a great add on, and you dont need it on hi all the time, its funny I use mine to get my hands warm then the factory seems to keep me ok, in a frigid temp like riding in -30 like i have its a frostbite saver!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The worst of course is when your gloves get WET and after a long day in the spring snow finally just soak through the gortex. Then the Grip heaters are life and death for your frozen hands!

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
The worst of course is when your gloves get WET and after a long day in the spring snow finally just soak through the gortex. Then the Grip heaters are life and death for your frozen hands!
You should have a couple of extra pairs of gloves with you for that reason. I also carry a set of mitts too.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado

so how does the yamaheater work? have you tried it?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The box is sitting on my "Summer Project" shelf.
Have not opened it up yet.

Plan on replacing my handlebars this summer and will do the Yamaheater at the same time.

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
so how does the yamaheater work? have you tried it?

In simple terms it uses the factory controls to activate a relay and run 12V constant power to the grips. They will get smoking hot because the factory NEVER runs a full 12V without pulsing the power ie 12V ON for 2 ms, then off, etc.

Once they get hot tap the factory warmer button up and it will return to the factory controlled ECU.

Very slick unit that works WITH the factory controls and ecu's and doesn't require more then 5 mins to install.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Got mine installed and they are keeping my hands TOASTY WARM.
And engine speed no longer makes any difference at all!

M
Nov 21, 2018
Yamaheater

I've had the Yamaheater on my Attak for several years. I froze my hands working on a radar back in 68' and they are quick to get cod now.The things really work! I rarely have to turn them up all then way.Easy to install (1 hr).I had a problem recently and Rock at Yamaheater answered my question promptly on a Sunday! I was easily able to solve my problem with his advice.Fantastic customer support.

Premium Features