• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is there any way to make an 08 Nytro run with the 800's w/o boost

D

DUCKMAN

Feb 5, 2010
Orangevale
I test rode a Nytro MTX 153 last weekend in Tahoe that I might purchase for 5000 with 1400 miles but I was very dissapointed with the way the sled performed. My girlfriends stock 99 700 way out performed the sled in the 1-2 ft of fresh powder. It was a fun sled to ride but I feel it lacked the power and traction needed to be a decent sled. I will not even begin to compare it to my 800 poo but i am kind of in the market for a sled I do not have to rebuild every 2 years. I looked into the limiter straps to lessen the approach angle but it was already sucked up to the second notch like it suggested in some of the forums. All it wanted to do is dig down to the tunnel and barely float along consistently getting highmarked when I would compare it to the 700. But if the only way I can get this sled to perform to my standards is to boost it i am not interested. I feel like i is a good deal so if you hve proof or ideas to make it good please change my mind.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Its been said time and time again, but the best thing you can do for a Nytro is to swap the rear skid and track. I couldn't get out of my own way half the time when I was stock, but after putting on a timbersled mtn tamer and a 162 power claw I was outclimbing mod 700s and going everywhere the M8s were going. The stock mav track sucks for the most part, and the skid doesn't help it any. I had a lot of fun with only those changes...boost seriously made everything easy on my Nytro....almost too easy sometimes. haha.

The general rule is that if you swap for a power claw or a camo extreme you'll be in good shape.

Last edited:

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
Its been said time and time again, but the best thing you can do for a Nytro is to swap the rear skid and track. I couldn't get out of my own way half the time when I was stock, but after putting on a timbersled mtn tamer and a 162 power claw I was outclimbing mod 700s and going everywhere the M8s were going. The stock mav track sucks for the most part, and the skid doesn't help it any. I had a lot of fun with only those changes...boost seriously made everything easy on my Nytro....almost too easy sometimes. haha.

The general rule is that if you swap for a power claw or a camo extreme you'll be in good shape.
bullchit. you must have been riding with a bunch of girls on m8's then. mod 7's will outdo most stock 8's....I have ridden with a lot of nytro's where the guys buy all the chit that's supposed to make them work without boost, and they just end up boosting them anyways. why did you boost yours if it was so good without it? just sayin....

D

DUCKMAN

Feb 5, 2010
Orangevale
When i say without boost I mean after my cash is spent and you most likely cannot finance turbos i am sol in that department. Is exhaust the only thing you can do for that to get a few extra ponies out of it?

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
We had a bunch of nytros out in revy last weekend . Every thing from short tracks , stock 08-10 mtxs , low boosters and a couple running 17 pounds of boost . They were all fun sleds ! a they all kept up with or sometimes beat doos and cats all weekend it was unreal !the snow was quite set up though . The best bang for youre buck seemed to be a header power comander and a camo x track . That set up rocked! buying an 08 i would change the skid out to any thing , even an 2010 skid that some one swaped out . teeroy the 10 nytros are very impressive , id take one out for a rip before knocking them too much . Adding boost just puts you in a diffrent ball game ! :face-icon-small-hap
duckman check out a summer mod list thread on here its pretty helpfull

Last edited:
T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Not interested

You can mess around with all sorts of little things that will add up to a lot of cash after a while and you will still not stay with any 800 sled. Exhaust and header kits....blaa..blaa...blaa...forget it. Your Nytro is a 600lb+ sled and has at best 140hp. It has a horrible track(maverick) and substandard suspension and very poor running boards etc. If you wanna hang with any decently set-up 800 I believe you will need at least a low boost kit. If you spend a couple extra grand(likely 3g) and go with something that will show 12-14lbs on pg you will be all alone in any group of 800's and you don't have to change the skid or even the track for that matter, until you have recovered from the hit of the turbo. Your sled will out last any 800 you ride with and you will learn how to ride a 650lb sled because you will have to....and its not that difficult,just like every other sled that is new to the owner.
You can make a project out of the sled because you can own it for 3-4 seasons at least and budget around the build. In your case you could have $20,000 in to it over four seasons and be in about the same financial boat as your 800 buddies because they will likely have gone through at least 2 sleds in that time and.........other than the M-series 800's who's 800 engine is running worth a crap right now? How many Nytro engines(even on boost) have you ever heard of that give trouble...cranks,mysterious melt downs, mapping, cranks!!!!!!!!!!!
The down side of buliding your sled would be, all that cash you spent to make it what you want will not be recovered in a future sale. Maybe you'll get half of it back maybe not. The other down side is.....the power your sled will have is very hard to give up. You will have to boost your next sled too.
That's a long answer to your question but I do tend to babble when sled are involved. The short answer IMO is...Your likely not interested in an '08 Nytro.

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
my mountain air suspension rocks. dont really know what tranq. is talking about. it hangs with 800's all day. 140 hp? try 154 on a dyno! track isnt all that better than the 08-09. header,pipe,pc3and k&n's makes them work great.

S
Oct 15, 2008
Bozeman-MT
Yes there is a way. Learn how to ride it. A stock Nytro will run with any 800 on the market if its being rode by someone who understands how to make it work. It takes a completely different riding style than a 2 stroke. Your increasing the weight of the sled, but your also increasing the torque which will more than make up the difference ( that's why Yamaha keeps making them) once you learn how to ride it. Unfortunately it requires a commitment because it may take 2 years of riding to figure it out. It took me 2 years to relearn how to ride when I bought an Apex, but now that I've put the time into it I understand what everyone else is missing. Always remember, the sled does the work, all you do is the balancing. If you ride it like a 2 stroke you will always be trenched and stuck.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I know we are getting a lot of "well mine does this" and "I've seen that" but I'm a 280 lb guy...just bought a nytro ONLY because of the reliability. I've had about 8 total rides on it and you HAVE to believe that 4 stroke power is completely different than 2 stroke. I love it and with it's fat @$$ and my fat @$$ we can't highmark any 800 but I've ridden with 10' m8's, UBR 900 RMK's and I can go everywhere they want to go so far, a lot of it really does have to do with the rider. I'm not saying that a if you point the sled straight up a hill the better rider will make it higher before he turns out or starts to sidehill but if you can control the sled and make it do whatever you want you can start zig-zagging up the hill and get to the top. I have a blast on the nytro knowing it's underpowered because I have to work to get to the top. I truly believe with about 10 more horse, clutching, a diet for the sled or it's rider, and a long track to match my weight I will be right there with the competition
My 2 cents.

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
How would you know?
I ride a nytro. 08, this is my third season on it. Maybe we need to define "run"? I ride with 800's all the time, never had an issue when I was stock. Though, when it was deep out, I could not take the same line as they could. With a bunch of mods, I still can't. Though, the ones I can't keep up with are on 16x163" tracks compared to my Nytro's 15x153" track. Maybe that is where the biggest difference comes from?

Sorry for the OT, but I think it is important that Nytro buyers get into it with realistic expectations. I LOVE the sled. The 4 stroke power and sound is intoxicating. BUT, it needs a little more help then the rest of the sleds to make it all that it can be. I think we could all agree with that?

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I truly believe with about 10 more horse, clutching, a diet for the sled or it's rider, and a long track to match my weight I will be right there with the competition
My 2 cents.
I completely agree with this. Mostly on the track. The nytro has enough torque to turn pretty much anything. I think it requires a deeper lug and longer track then normal.

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
I ride with a guy who can hang with any of us on his stock Nytro. He even gets the mark on some days. Would you like me to see what he would charge you for riding lessons?
sounds like maybe you're the one that needs lessons....650lbs and 130hp won't hang with 500 lbs and 155+ hp. same weight of rider, and same skills.....the nytro will lose every time....it's simple physics.

S
Oct 15, 2008
Bozeman-MT
sounds like maybe you're the one that needs lessons....650lbs and 130hp won't hang with 500 lbs and 155+ hp. same weight of rider, and same skills.....the nytro will lose every time....it's simple physics.

With those physics in mind the lightest guy on the lightest sled will always out ride the rest of the group?

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
With those physics in mind the lightest guy on the lightest sled will always out ride the rest of the group?
if they all have the same riding skills? yes. unless he's on a tundra....but we're talking premier class mountain sleds here. lighter will always win, why do you think guys spend thousands of dollars to make their sled light...to keep up with stock nytros? pull your head out your azz.....

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I think you / we guys are comparing different types of riding conditions.

We might want to talk about what type of conditions we are trying to compare.

Last edited:

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
Can we keep this focused on the sleds on not penis size? Also, I think you guys are comparing different types of riding conditions.

We might want to talk about what type of conditions we are trying to compare.
what other type of conditions do we strive to ride in? deep, bottomless pow. not hardpack drag racing, that's for sure. why do nytros run in the 600 class if they are so awesome? because they are 600 class horsepower, with more horsepower and more weight than a stock 600 2 smoker.

A

akhammer

Nov 26, 2007
anchorage, AK/ SLC Utah
[ If you wanna hang with any decently set-up 800 I believe you will need at least a low boost kit.

Not a chance, I have a mcx 180 kit and your "Decently set up" 800 better have more then a few engine mods. I ride at sea level to 3,500 feet so the 800 around here are making good power.

Premium Features