• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just bought a MTX Nytro 153, need track advice

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I wouldn't say don't waste your time, the pc does just fine and as you pointed out they can be found for less money. I've had one on for three seasons and it hasn't let me down yet.

Sent from my Commando

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
It funny that people compare a 2.5 CE to a 2.25 powerclaw and say it a better track well of course it is in certain conditions because it has bigger paddles. it comes with its own issues though. if you dig a little deeper you will find that most of those people are running boost. The additional power works well with bigger paddles. that is not to say the 2.5 doesnt work on a N/A sled just that the running more HP you can benefit from running a larger paddle. The 2.25 track really works well on a N/A sled. Avid now makes AC drivers that fit the yamaha that no longer require you to trim the nibs off the interior of the track. However I was told to clip the entire track but have read on SW and TY people have run them without clipping the track and have not run into any issues. Both tracks work well on the Nytro and you cant go wrong with either one. As mentioned before I ran the Powerclaw and am very happy with the choice i made. and as MOTOjunkie said it hasnt let me down either.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I had an 08 Nytro and the Maverick was junk. I installed a power claw and it worked extreamly well for our type of riding, it's a good track. I do think I would consider clipping all the windows as the bare rubber could be hard on hyfax in lesser snow conditions. Scratchers did help but you had to use them a lot.

If in dought, ride it with the Maverick a while, pick up a Power Claw at your lesiure and install it later. Your not gonna believe the differance that track makes in your sled.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Yeah, I'd run the Mav for a while, then switch to see the difference, and you'll definitely notice. I'm in the PC camp, but both are huge improvements.

How bad is the Mav? I rode an 09 with the mav and it cupped out in about 600km's. Then picked up a leftover '11 and after a year sitting on the showroom floor, the weight of the sled had already cupped the track significantly, so it came off and I switched straight to the PowerClaw 2.25.

One thing to consider if buying the PC is that they come in different durometers (rubber stiffness). Check country*cat on the web. 80 (soft) 85 (med) and there used to be a 90 (hard), so not all Power Claws are the same. I chose the 85 for the combo of powder and set up snow/braking conditions and it works well in both worlds. I'd give it the nod in set up more than powder and it seems to manouver the trees very well.

The PC is a direct replacement, for sure on the newer 2010+ sleds. No nub cutting or anything.

I did fully clip mine, and run scratchers. 2500km's and it still looks good. Even the hyfax is holding up.

BTW, the track change is pretty easy. No need to go to the dealer for this. First time took a couple of hours with 2 guys. THe reverse forks in the chain case are the hardest part, and it ain't too hard.

OTM

N

nitris223

Nov 26, 2007
We have 2 nytro mtx's 162 and 153. They are 2011's and supposed to have the updated maverick track The 153 had the new part # but the 162 had the old part #. Both show the same cracks at the base of the lugs and folded lugs at 1000 miles. So updated is still junk. Found a ad on the internet for some take off cat tracks for sale cheap. They needed to clear out some stuff for this season. Ended up getting 2 powerclaw tracks, 2.25" for $250.00 each shipped from B.C Canada. The guy said they were used one or 2 rides and guys swapped them out for the CE 3". Sent pictures and they looked new. For that price I am willing to give them a try. Sure beats shelling out $1000 each for a track.

Premium Features