• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 engine rebuild or 1200??

T

tgoodwin

Dec 6, 2007
Blackfoot
So here's my situation: 2007 m1000 just under 2000 miles. SLP single, PCV, 3 post, other clutch changes etc. Stock DD. So...the sled crapped out on me on the last ride of last season. Still haven't torn into it yet since I've been working since it happened. So here's the thing, I'm pretty sure I at least lost a bearing in my crank, and it's possible that it will need a new top end. So I'm just wondering how much would a 1200 kit cost, and are there any good local shops (SE Idaho area) that do them. I'm also curious as to the reliability of these setups. Any suggestions would be nice.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I don't have any experience with the 1200's but I've read a few people on here think that it makes the cylinder walls too thin. Cutler has a 1300 with new cylinders, so you wouldn't have that problem but no one seems to have much experience with it. I bought one, but haven't gotten it together to ride yet.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
I had the same thing happen to me and found a two inch hole in the bottom of my crank case! So make sure before you spend BIG $ on rebuild kits that you know where all the damage is top to bottom! :face-icon-small-win Then start looking!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Hold up! find a deal on a new engine, I have seen some sell them for as little as $1500 up to $2500, it cost me $1800 to put a reman crank in mine so do yourself a favor and even at $2500 its a deal. drop it in and let it rip. You can then part out the old one and get some back.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Hold up! find a deal on a new engine, I have seen some sell them for as little as $1500 up to $2500, it cost me $1800 to put a reman crank in mine so do yourself a favor and even at $2500 its a deal. drop it in and let it rip. You can then part out the old one and get some back.

I bought a new complete motor from RV Sports probably a month or 2 ago for $2065 delivered to my door. It came with power valves (not cables or springs), reeds, water pump, coils, stator, and recoil starter. The only thing it didn't come with was an oil pump but the guy Troy thru one in for me for no extra cost. I'd agree with Wyoboy, but at least get it apart first to see what you're dealing with before you do anything.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Ditto last two posts... NEW MOTOR, then sell the carcass, there's always some sucker whose time means nothing to them!!:face-icon-small-win

Man, 2k for a complete motor... hard to compare to that!!
Also, having a new stator, recoil... just having the other stuff that wears out is sure nice as well.

Only way to go on the 1000 imo.

Premium Features