• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The thin, dry glove thread

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I use a finger throttle and really like thin gloves for dexterity. The problem is no thin glove I've ever used actually stays dry. From 20 dollars to just under 200, thin gloves seem synonymous with breathability which means not water proof.

Insulation is fine, as long as it's on the top, not the palm.

so what's out there?

Please enlighten, I'm tired of wasting money 'trying' new gloves by buying them.

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
Take a look at VO Gloves www.vogloves.com. Warmest damn glove I've ever worn! I would put them about in the middle-ish as far as bulkiness. Not bulky, but not thin.

My favorite part, is the zipper across the back of the hand! It allows you take your hands out of the gloves without having to break the seal between your coat and gloves. Also makes a good vent if your hands get too warm. :D

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Ive tried motorfist, true adventure, 509, Burton for thin gloves. All get wet. Seems like with thin gloves they need to get rid of too much breathability

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I use to like Mechanics gloves. The impact version for the palm padding.
Yes u get wet. They are cheap and u can carry 3more pairs in the same space one pair of bulky gloves fit. That was back when sleds actually had windshields, now they are too cold except for spring/summer riding.

Klim inversion and inversion pro are not to bad. But a lot more money. They are wind proof.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I wear a pair of cheap Harbor freight LATEX gloves (50 pairs for $8) and then put whatever over them as a winter glove. Of course thicker outer gloves for colder days

Same principle as a surfers wetsuit. Wetsuits help to preserve body heat by trapping a layer of water against the skin; this water is consequently warmed by body heat and acts as an insulator. Water conducts heat away from the body approximately 25 times more efficiently than air.

Last edited:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Never have found any glove that will stay dry in bad conditions. But what helps is to have a pair for riding and a pair for digging ;) And spares for each!

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I wear a pair of cheap Harbor freight LATEX gloves (50 pairs for $8) and then put whatever over them as a winter glove. Of course thicker outer gloves for colder days

Same principle as a surfers wetsuit. Wetsuits help to preserve body heat by trapping a layer of water against the skin; this water is consequently warmed by body heat and acts as an insulator. Water conducts heat away from the body approximately 25 times more efficiently than air.

With a latex glove on first... covered by an insulated glove . . .Seems like the latex glove would make the hands sweat. Then wouldn't that make your hands colder, if this setup conducts heat away from the body?

dboe03

Lifetime Membership
Mar 31, 2014
Fargo, ND
Been using the motorfist thin glove for warm days but yeah, never stay totally dry. I've just gotten used to carrying a morning glove set, a spare day set, and then ALWAYS keep a fresh, dry, warm set for the long, cold, wet, boring drive back to the cabin. Most times I never have to use the 3rd pair.

Been using the Motorfist WOT glove, for what its worth.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
With a latex glove on first... covered by an insulated glove . . .Seems like the latex glove would make the hands sweat. Then wouldn't that make your hands colder, if this setup conducts heat away from the body?

The rubber glove keeps exterior moisture and wind off the hand. Inside the moisture heated by hand.

Was out Sunday in 15F weather people start having cold hands during rides gave them rubber gloves …. no more cold hands

The cost to try rubber gloves are less than a dime

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
True Adventure Gear gloves are fantastic. Very nice, warm, and thin!

https://tagear.us/store.php?crn=223

These get my vote too. The leather palm will eventually get wet, but I can't say I've had problems with the water getting to the inside. If my hands feel wet it's usually from some heavy duty perspiration. Which is a personal problem I have from head to toe! lol

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Those tagear gloves look good.

I am also looking for light gloves.

Just last year a dirt bike buddy who likes to ride dirt even when temps are 20 degrees said they wear the thin latex (or whatver material) gloves under their summer riding gloves and though can be cold at first (no grip warmers), once they get going off road they are fine.

I might give the latex type gloves a try under my mx gloves and then carry a few extra pairs of light gloves. When they get too wet, I can swap to a dry pair and place the wet ones in my goggle warmer which never gets used because being so close to the pipe it will ruin the goggles if left in too long.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
When you guys say latex gloves, are you talking about the turn your head and cough/surgery variety?

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Seems like with thin gloves they need to get rid of too much breathability

Preach it brother.

I need thin, not 'breathable'

I may just buy some thin liners and use them inside the hestra outer shells that I have that come with way too thick of a liner.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I'm not sure how thin you guys are thinking...but Klim Powerxross gloves are a pretty awesome glove that's not bulky. Favorite sled gloves I've had. If you are thinking think like MX gloves, those would be out.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

Everyone is different on how much you sweat and under what conditions. Sweaty palms

Everyones skin excretes water. The latex or latex free glove shields out wind and cold external water.

The water trapped inside the glove next to skin is heated by body heat in the hand.

under normal or even aggressive riding

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
I don't always agree with donbrown but vapor barrier liners have a pretty big following amongst people who get out a lot in very cold weather. It seems odd but it works.

I have a pair of Outdoor Research Project gloves that I love on the sled. They're made for ice climbing so they have a thin and sensitive palm with lots of insulation on the back of the hand and a goretex liner. In PNW peanut butter pow they still get wet eventually but it takes a lot. Unfortunately they were replaced by the Bitterblaze glove this year which isn't nearly as sensitive or as well constructed. They are expensive but so far they've been my favorite gloves.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Definitely not buying anything from outdoor research because they give money to winter wildlands.

Colonoscopy gloves however....box o' 50. Can't beat that.

Premium Features