• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 800 156 an early vertical escape?

S
Dec 26, 2018
I went to look at what I thought was an 03 vertical escape tonight, ended up being an 02 vertical edge 156 it has reverse, the Ryder FX shocks, and what looks to be T-post steering. Was this a special snow check model for that year? Also the chain case dip stick was toward the bulk head, not the front like most I’ve seen. Just trying to get info on this sled before I purchase it.

Thanks

Here’s current add if anyone’s interested
https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/snw/d/kent-2003-polaris-vertical-escape-800/6779278841.html

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
A vertical edge 151 was a snowcheck sled and commonly lengthened with 159" rails.

I had an 03 vert edge with 159 rails, big wheels, drop and roll and a 162" track. I added reverse to mine.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
Yes 2002 snow check special 156 was an option as well as 151. I purchased a black 156 for that year. They however did not come with perc electric reverse until they came out with the popular vertical escape package for 03 model year. You could buy the perc kit from the dealer and retrofit the 02 and many people did. As far as chaincase 02 is different than 03 escape. Escape is longer for more track clearance. If I remember correctly all rmk models got the longer escape chaincase in 04. Also 03 was first year for 159 track option.

dodgetruck2

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2018
Parker, SD
I just got done stuffing a 163" 2.4" in my escape and I measured no extra clearance between a standard edge using the cooler as my reference point to drive shaft location

the escape was built as a lighter weight sled over a standard edge is all I can find also having the stuffed seat cushion, the chain case is difference with the "quieter" gears and brake disc, but not longer, I had so hoped this rumor to be true but I cant find any facts to back it up

Also something I just discovered this week one way you could possibly verify and escape is they used a 3/8" bolt on the lower radius rod versus the 1/2" bolt a regular edge used but a simple rod end and trailing arm change could affect this so its not fool proof

dodgetruck2

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2018
Parker, SD
definitely post some pictures but I think what you found is just some custom modded sled, I personally haven't seen an edge with rear facing dipstick, my escape is different from a regular edge but it still faces the front of the sled, always that possibility Polaris was testing ground on some stuff and maybe it is a limited addition option of some kind for 02

and yea an good to excellent condition edge for 1500 sounds like a good deal, always try for less though haha

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
The nose pan is off of an 03 and nobody changes out the nose pan until it was in a major accident. The track alone is worth an extra $500, because it pulls 50% harder than the Series 4 Polaris track.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Guess I'm still a little confused about Vertical EDGE vs Escape. I thought "Vertical EDGE" was applied to all standard '04 and '05 RMKs, but apparently it was used on '02 snowcheck sleds? I do know "Vertical Escape" was snowchecked '03 and '04s. Also, the earlier chaincase was used on all '02 and '03s except the Vertical Escape; all '04 and later used the "phantom" chaincase. The dipstick by the bulkhead sounds like the older chaincase, where it's on the right side of the chaincase down low (and a pain to get to with the stock can in there). Never heard of an EDGE RMK with a different driveshaft and jackshaft mounting, so don't think any model will fit a bigger paddle than any other.

Just did some digging through part numbers to confirm some things I've heard about the Escape. The '03 Escape has the following upgrades over standard '03: lighter jackshaft, lighter trailing arms (with only the narrower ski stance), lighter radius arms, PERC, revised chaincase, RydeFX shocks all around (ski and rear shock are clickers). Let me know if I'm missing anything. '04 Escape got all those things except apparently the jackshaft. Also, some of the Escape-only things from '03 made their way (standard or optional) to other sleds in '04. I thought I'd read that the drive shaft was different too, but part numbers are the same for all '03 and later EDGE RMKs. What really confuses the identification is that these sleds are easily old enough that there are mix and match sleds out there.

Anyway, $1500 is a great price for a loaded out sled if everything is straight and solid. On the flip side, a seemingly functional sled could have all kinds of bent and broken suspension components, crank out of true, weak compression, worn out clutches, and so on. Truly a case where someone else's basket of problems will cost you more to fix up – even if you got it for free – than what you'd spend just buying one in better shape. You're likely to find something wrong on any used sled. Big thing I'd say is if it's not either a garage queen or been obviously well maintained, it's probably not worth your time and money unless it's close to or less than $1000. On an Escape, you can make money parting it, but again, if it's beat to death then the high-value parts may be junk too. Shocks are the real big-ticket item if they're straight and the shafts aren't pitted. If that's the case, add $200 to rebuild them all, and you've got the best shocks you'll find for these. Again, buyer beware: a new shaft for the rear clicker is $150, and I'm told the hollow shafts for the ski shocks are NLA (you can put in solid shafts – you'll lose the clicker, but still have a much better shock than the standard replacement).

Well, long post, just some (hopefully accurate) information I've gathered from working on and upgrading my sled. Given how little I see even pristine EDGE sleds listed for, I think these are the best "bang for the buck" sleds out there, and a great starting point. Understandably, most people move to newer sleds when they have the resources, but that doesn't mean these are best left to the bunny slopes!

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
The rear clicker track shock has been made less expensive in 06, and they can be bought new for $180, vs $460 for 04's.

The chaincase for the 04's had a higher dipstick that is on the front side. Nothing phantom about it. It is just a lot better setup than the 02's because you don't have to remove the pipe and can just to tighten up the chain.

The thing to look out for is the drive sprockets. The 02's have two double side sprockets plus two one side sprockets. At some point in time, some moron at Polaris decided to go with just the two double side drive sprockets. Which is not enough. If you only have those two, then it is best to replace them with extroverts.

Things that are most likely broke or need repair are: 1. front left engine mount 2. water pump center axle end notch 3. rear track idler wheel bearings are shot 4. bearings behind the driven clutch and below the driven clutch on sprocket shaft were never greased and are shot 5. rear track bearings are shot 6. crinkles in the tunnel below the foot wells 7. PTO bearings on the crank shaft 8. Mag bearings on the crank shaft 9. Pistons and rings 10. VES diaphragm tear 11. VES guillotines get dented on center post stop 12. the chain is too loose 13. not enough gas in the shocks because the seals are worn out and leak

If the compression is below 130 psi, then the rings are shot. Since the sled has an after market track, there is a chance that the bearings at both end of the sprocket drive axle were replaced, but not a certainty. If you are replacing crank shaft bearings, be sure and add the diagonal oil drain hole to the PTO bearings that is missing.

The 156 track was a spring issue model for the 02 vertical edge, and not originally available in the fall of 01. It probably had the same features as the snow check specials.

The Vertical Escape tend to be a 159" track with all of the snow check features, but they can be anything. The primary feature must be the lighter weight trailing arms and the front shocks with an adjustment knob at the top. The features to add are the steering post risers, the extrovert drivers. If you have a 159 track and change the track out to a Camoplast 3 blade across, 159 x 2" Arctic Cat track, it performs almost as good in powder as the 155" x 2.4" tracks on $14000 sleds.

There is no torsion bar on the front of that sled so the springs and shocks would be real soft in the corners. XC springs can be installed to restore the factory support for the corners, or some people tighten that wimpy RMK spring up until there is very little free play in order to stiffen up the front end in the corners.

Those double skid skis cause the front end to float higher and point the nose up in the air, causing it to get stuck sooner. They are also harder to turn the sled than with the best ski which is an SLP Powder Pro, with a deep keel for turning a long track.

Last edited:
Premium Features