• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

18 mtn cat handling issues

R
Jan 23, 2008
High in the rockies
I'm sure I will get plenty of 18 mtn cat riders tell me this sled steers easy. From my experience this season(comparing to the 18 doo 850 summit and 18 poo axis) this cat handles like an elephant. How in the hell do you guys ride this thing, specifically the heavy heavy steering. I mean yes the motor, track, shocks are top notch but I can't ride this thing to save my life. The poo and doo steer and handle extremely light. I'm 190 pound expert rider with 30 yrs of mtn riding experience and just can't get over the heavy steering. Yes I have done the research and tried multiple psi and clicker settings. Could use some serious education on what to do for this problem. Or maybe I know exactly what to doo or poo. This experience is in snow not on the trail! Please help!

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
I ride a '16...same front end though. I'd say 90% is in the skis. I still have the stock skis on, but when I ride my buddies with SLP, it is night and day different. I have a pair of grippers in the shop I'm going to put on before my next ride to see how they are.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
ditch the stock skis!! you fight them all day long. put on the grippers and i like them in the narrow setting. stock cat ski rubber just cut down the bottom numbs on the rubbers with a razor where they hit the rib of the ski. next cut down your spindle insert to match the inside of the ski and get a new bolt or the one that comes with the grippers. if you don't want to cut down the spindle insert you can order the 12-15 stock cat insert.

Last edited:
S
Nov 5, 2014
I'm sure I will get plenty of 18 mtn cat riders tell me this sled steers easy. From my experience this season(comparing to the 18 doo 850 summit and 18 poo axis) this cat handles like an elephant. How in the hell do you guys ride this thing, specifically the heavy heavy steering. I mean yes the motor, track, shocks are top notch but I can't ride this thing to save my life. The poo and doo steer and handle extremely light. I'm 190 pound expert rider with 30 yrs of mtn riding experience and just can't get over the heavy steering. Yes I have done the research and tried multiple psi and clicker settings. Could use some serious education on what to do for this problem. Or maybe I know exactly what to doo or poo. This experience is in snow not on the trail! Please help!
What are you running for air pressures in your shocks?

I though the same thing as you the first ride out.

Factory settings are way to stiff.

Try 50 PSI range in the fronts.
50-70psi in the center skid shock.
This will take away alot of the ski pressure.
And then 150 range in the rear.

Basically the way they come setup from the factory all the weight rides on the front and rear shock and the center isn't carrying anything.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

TS Drag Racer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wa. st
I just came off an 850X and an Axy's the prior year. I like my new Cat better than both of them, mine doesn't steer heavy at all. I'm running 90psi in my front shocks and I'm a 6 4" 240lb without gear on, advanced rider. Check your throttle maybe your only getting half throttle...:face-icon-small-ton

S
Nov 5, 2014
I ride a '16...same front end though. I'd say 90% is in the skis. I still have the stock skis on, but when I ride my buddies with SLP, it is night and day different. I have a pair of grippers in the shop I'm going to put on before my next ride to see how they are.
So what is the difference in the skies that makes such a durastic difference in handling?

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
once the cat ski gos past 1/2 way into the turn it likes to try to go further on its own. so you end up pushing to get it to turn and them having to pull it back. a yo yo fight.

S
Nov 5, 2014
once the cat ski gos past 1/2 way into the turn it likes to try to go further on its own. so you end up pushing to get it to turn and them having to pull it back. a yo yo fight.
So the other skies have the saddle mounted further forward? Get the ski more under the machine?

S
Nov 5, 2014
Grippers or SLP Mowhawks are the best skis to go with.
When I hold the three skies up against eachother what will I see for differences?

Deeper keel?
Wider/narrower?
longer/shorter?
Saddle is offset diffently from factory ski?

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
So what is the difference in the skies that makes such a durastic difference in handling?

I can't comment on "handling" per se, I manage to get where I'm going just fine and I haven't ridden my buddies enough to know if it truly handles better or not. The big difference is in steering effort. I think it has a lot to do with the length of the ski in front of the spindle, but I don't know. Could be something else. The grippers are very similar in size and layout of the stock skis with some difference in the keel, slightly wider, and maybe an inch or so different in mounting location. The SLP are drastically shorter. Less ski to push equals less effort to move it.

As many tie rods as I've been through (probably 4 or more) vs my buddy (0) says a lot for steering pressure/effort.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
When I hold the three skies up against eachother what will I see for differences?

Deeper keel?
Wider/narrower?
longer/shorter?

Grippers are pretty similar in overall size. Slightly wider (1/4 - 1/2" maybe?), wider keel, maybe a little deeper keel (I'd have to look again). Seems to mount just a small amount further back, but not much. SLP much shorter. Probably 4-6" less ski in front of the spindle.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.

Deeper keel?
Wider/narrower?
longer/shorter?

Cat and Gripper skis have nearly identical dimensions and spindle mounting location with the keel being the only significant difference. Grippers keel is visibly wider. The only part of the skis i did not measure was the keel

Mountain Cat

R
Jan 23, 2008
High in the rockies
Wow! Two adjustments today made a huge difference in the steering issue. First, I would like to thank skegpro for the 70 psi recommendation in the front track shock. 55 psi is as high as I have tried until today and the 15 lbs more really made a difference. This new f.t.s. Presure along with some of the recommended skis(slp or grippers) and I might be able steer this thing. Second, I put on a 2in riser today and at 6 ft even this put the bars in a much more powerful position for me. I have always raised bars accordingly on past sleds, but for some reason I was trying to convince myself that the stock height was fine on this sled. Nope! No the riser does'nt make it steer easier just put the bars in a stronger position for me.

S
Nov 5, 2014
Wow! Two adjustments today made a huge difference in the steering issue. First, I would like to thank skegpro for the 70 psi recommendation in the front track shock. 55 psi is as high as I have tried until today and the 15 lbs more really made a difference. This new f.t.s. Presure along with some of the recommended skis(slp or grippers) and I might be able steer this thing. Second, I put on a 2in riser today and at 6 ft even this put the bars in a much more powerful position for me. I have always raised bars accordingly on past sleds, but for some reason I was trying to convince myself that the stock height was fine on this sled. Nope! No the riser does'nt make it steer easier just put the bars in a stronger position for me.
Right on.
Did you go down in pressure on your skis?

I am running 45 in my skis.
Clicker 2-3 on the trail.
Clicker 1-2 Alpine/Tree riding.
Clicker 1 powder

It will really roll up alot easier with more pressure in the center track shock and less in the skis.

Premium Features