• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

F/R shocks?

T
Oct 28, 2017
so I bought 2018 summit x 154 with 2.5 track. I would need help with choosing good shocks for me. I'm usually 75% off trail riding. what shocks would you guys suggest?

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Pick your poison to manny good options . I run Elkas and love them.There are good reviews about Raptors as well.
The cheapest way is to revalve the stock shocks.
The high end shocks do ad some weight and are costly but worth it if your wallet allow it. Its nice to go a few clicks one way or the other to dial your ride perfect

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
To many options

Pick your poison to manny good options . I run Elkas and love them.There are good reviews about Raptors as well.
The cheapest way is to revalve the stock shocks.
The high end shocks do ad some weight and are costly but worth it if your wallet allow it. Its nice to go a few clicks one way or the other to dial your ride perfect

Lots of riders asking the same vague question. Narrow it down for us 3 or 4 categories #1 ($ price range $) #2 ( keep T-MO / delete T-MO or to keep T-MO with option to lock out ) #3 ( riding style ) #4 ( save weight or go for performance) this will really help you get the best answers the quickest. Pretty much price range will narrow it right down for in a hurry.

T
Oct 28, 2017
Lots of riders asking the same vague question. Narrow it down for us 3 or 4 categories #1 ($ price range $) #2 ( keep T-MO / delete T-MO or to keep T-MO with option to lock out ) #3 ( riding style ) #4 ( save weight or go for performance) this will really help you get the best answers the quickest. Pretty much price range will narrow it right down for in a hurry.

@ price- I would limit it up to 3000 usd for all shocks.
@ T-mo - keep it
@ riding style - I would say I'm semi beginner, I switched from stock 2016 viper mtx, i have knowedge how to do stuff but never had courage to try it with yamaha.
@ strictly performance

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
My experience on the 850 is only with the Elkas.That said Elka stage 4 would be my recommendation if you like to set up your machine perfect for you and do some of your own adjustments for fine tuning. Each set is build specific to your weight and riding style - Stage 2 are great as well ( a bit cheaper) However there is little adjustability afterwards. There are lots of other options available. I would make sure that whatever shocks you buy is build up to your spec.
Any generic set up can only get so close, that is in essence what the sleds come with. If you go that rout you might as well just revalve the stockers. Have fun with your Project.

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
F/R shocks

The front x shocks are pretty good on there own, I would keep them. K-Mod full rear skid set up. It will really help you keep the nose down & moving forward in the steep/deep. Best part is the you have a new stock skid to put back in your snowmobile when you buy a new sled. Keep that K-mod & install in your next sled. I've had my rear skid through 3 different sleds. With the remaining cash I would invest in some Polaris gripper skis. Install them after you ride 4-7 rides get a good feel for the new sled/rear skid in deep snow & hard pack snow. Then install the grippers, if you like em keep em. If not you will have no trouble selling them on SW. K-Mod is nice it lets you lock & unlock T-MO. Play around with the coupling blocks & T-MO locked out and unlocked. Best part about getting your sled dialed in is switching with a friend who has a bone stock 850 or taking a demo up to compare. You will be pretty happy with your set up.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Ride it, if you like the shocks in the 1st hundred miles, then when the oil gets toasted (first hundy miles or first hard rip through the bumps), then the stock shocks are a good candidate for fresh (good) oil and maybe a revalve. The stock shocks when fresh are actually pretty good until the oil gets cooked. Not a snowcross setup but good for a mountain sled.
Over the last 4-5 years I have run/tested just about every shock out there (except Elka), and in almost every case I have bought a very expensive shock setup that wasn't tested/set up correctly. That being said, I am running the following this year:
2018 175 Summit X - Stiffer Doo front springs with Hygear torsion bushings/spacers. A 175 sleds isn't a bump sled so there is no reason for me to try to make it into one
154 Narrow Freeride. Stock as stock can get. If it needs a revalve I will bust them open, if it needs stiffer springs in the rear I will put Hygear spacers in it.
There is only one aftermarket shock that I will ever buy again, but I won't bash by posting it here. ;)

Premium Features