• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled deck Marlon or TruckBoss

grizzly7

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Just thinking of getting a new sled deck and was wondering which one everyone likes and why? Currently have a Silver Lake deck but wanting an all aluminum.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
My choice is to go with the TruckBoss first. I've been trying to buy one for the last three years but my wife seems to think there are other priorities. We need to work on that.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think a major drawback to the truckboss is the removal process for summer.

I'm still using a classic Marathon deck, but Marlin is building decks a few miles from my house. Maybe I'll have to check them out.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
I bought a truck boss 1 year ago. its super nice but it is atleast a 12 hr install the first time when you do the winch and the whole nine yards. it come out in about 30 mins and probably take 1 hr to reinstall.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I think a major drawback to the truckboss is the removal process for summer.

I'm still using a classic Marathon deck, but Marlin is building decks a few miles from my house. Maybe I'll have to check them out.
Drawback? I see it as an excuse to buy some wheelers for the summer. I plan to leave it on all year, especially since I have the Truckboxx. Installed the rails and feet last night. Took about 2 hours. Guessing it'll take 8 hours for everything.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Depends how you look at it I guess :)

I didn't realize you could take it all out in under an hour, my buddy who has one made it seem like it was a huge process.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
So how does it come out? In modules? Do you just take apart enough pieces to pull out the biggest piece you can? And how does it sit on the ground once you get it out? I really want one but I need to have a fifth wheel in the summer, so it has to come out.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Remove six clamps (or 8 on the 8 footer), 2 nuts on each foot and the whole assembly can lift out in one piece. You could set it on the feet, but I'd probably remove those so you could lean it up against a wall.

Made progress on the install. Still need to put on the headache rack, ramp stuff and the Truckboxx. Will probably have about 10 hours into it when all is done.
1dbdaedbdc299f4c95aa2ebac319333b.jpg

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
I back my truck into the barn and hook a strap to each corner and ratchet it up about 6"and drive out from under it. It hangs there all summer and back under it in the fall and bolt it back up. I am thinking of selling mine and going with a flat bed, but it has worked great for the last 5 years I have had it. Fred

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Remove six clamps (or 8 on the 8 footer), 2 nuts on each foot and the whole assembly can lift out in one piece. You could set it on the feet, but I'd probably remove those so you could lean it up against a wall.

Made progress on the install. Still need to put on the headache rack, ramp stuff and the Truckboxx. Will probably have about 10 hours into it when all is done.

Makes that Dodge look good! :face-icon-small-win

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.

that's what I thought when I removed mine the first time. you actually unbolt the modules from the rails and lift it off and then unclamp the rails and pull them off. I don't remember for sure but I think the feet can stay on

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Funny, the TruckBoss website says the install takes 3 hours for the basic install and you add a little bit more for options.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Three hours is probably about right, with zero accessories and no slideouts. I've got it all installed, minus the final electrical connections and flip extension. Very happy with the quality.

Got my wheeler loaded and ready to go!
ffea4d73b683c68b528061349b9c78f9.jpg

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
The new trucks are starting to come with the fifthwheel and gooseneck hitches installed from the factory. One of the sled deck manu's should make a plate that uses the 4 pucks in the truck box to fasten their decks in. It would speed the process up so much and it would probably be more secure than using the box anchors. This is my idea and I will sell it for a small fee (patent pending) :)

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
You forgot to put your tow mirrors up for the picture. :face-icon-small-win

That's a sharp color combo, nice truck.

Three hours is probably about right, with zero accessories and no slideouts. I've got it all installed, minus the final electrical connections and flip extension. Very happy with the quality.

Got my wheeler loaded and ready to go!
ffea4d73b683c68b528061349b9c78f9.jpg

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I like my marlon, but the winch and snowbike deal for the truckboss looks sweet.

I have doubts about the snowbike loader. Never used it but the last time I saw it you used a cordless drill to pull the loader up. Seemed like a hack job. But I do like TruckBoss' other innovations. I'm working on ordering one now.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I have doubts about the snowbike loader. Never used it but the last time I saw it you used a cordless drill to pull the loader up. Seemed like a hack job. But I do like TruckBoss' other innovations. I'm working on ordering one now.

Hmm the video I saw it was all hand quick release levers/pins, and a remote winch. Looked awesome.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The new trucks are starting to come with the fifthwheel and gooseneck hitches installed from the factory. One of the sled deck manu's should make a plate that uses the 4 pucks in the truck box to fasten their decks in. It would speed the process up so much and it would probably be more secure than using the box anchors. This is my idea and I will sell it for a small fee (patent pending) :)

I've already been scratching out ideas to do this on my new truck, I just don't want to give up any box space!

Premium Features