• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BURANDTS 355 LB 165", NON-TURBO, AXYS-RMK.... (Video)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
355 lbs... and it looks awesome.... I'll bet it is a real fun sled to ride !!
I'm sure there will be some members here asking "Why didn't he do {such and such}?"

Well... He actually has this one ready to ride with some great equipment on it that he likes from his sponsors and stuff that he's bought ... and is proud to show it off... I would be too. You can see how excited he really is about this sled...

Looking forward to the ride videos !!

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FChrisBurandt%2Fvideos%2F1372181359512831%2F&width=1000&show_text=false&height=343&appId" width="1000" height="563" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Last edited:
A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
im surprised he didn't put the cArbon body work on that sled it would probably be under 350 lbs.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
how much does a sled wrap weigh? 3-4 lbs? If your going for every last oz, leave the wrap off it. But then he couldnt list all the people that paid for the parts :) Eric

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
He said in the video that he is going to weight the Turbo tonight he thought.

Then post full build sheets with retail prices. Should be interesting to look through and see what all they did. I'm more curious how much 1 off stuff these two sleds have.

I thought I heard the Turbo had all the carbon fiber panels and hood but this sled did not. But maybe that was wrong.

Makes me wonder if his wrap on these is the same material as the normal wraps or is a thinner material. Because your right if your trying to save every OZ why put a full wrap on it. But then again you need to show off the sponsors on a build like this too.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Float X shocks, Arc, Skinz A arms, Skinz running boards, Skinz bumpers, SLP can, etc are all heavier items as well.

340 would be pretty "easy" to achieve. Craziness

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
When he posts the build / Cost list, could someone post it or a link?

My guess is they still left a lot on the table. Especially if he only used currently available aftermarket items, or soon to be released stuff.

There are a lot of stock and aftermarket parts that can be lightened further without losing necessary strength if done properly. The manufactures don't do it due to the cost, and most customers don't want to pay for the time and detail work required to make a truly lite-weight but strong part.

Other stock parts can benefit from a material change.
For example; If someone were to replicate the Bulkhead and tunnel pieces as they are in true Carbon fiber (not the Polaris Faux Carbon Fiber). The weight savings would be another 10-15 pounds and be stronger and stiffer than the current aluminum.
Another would be all the fasteners replaced with Titanium or Aluminum where allowable. He likely did the easy fasteners (Alt Impact's kits) but those only cover less than 1/3 of the total fasteners (although most of the larger heavier ones).
As well as Ceramic bearings or at least Hybrids.

The biggest gain in the future will be revolutionizing the CVT. Eliminating the clutches as we know them. Another easy 10-15 pounds if we can get beyond the current box.

I've hinted at some Intellectual Property I've been sitting on for about 25 years that would do just that. Just don't have the means currently to finalize and market it.

I would bet that sub 340# is still in reach. Less than the stock dry weight when Wet, fueled and Ready to Ride.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
It's ready to ride though

I hear ya LH... theres lots that he 'could' have done, or built, or designed... but he seems to have went with what was avail to him so that he could ride it this season and enjoy it... then, I'm sure, flip it end of the year.

It still does not diminish that this sukka is built and ready to ride... and he cut over 50 lbs out of the sled.... That's worth some praise in my book.

I have too many projects sitting in my shop that are half-finished because I'm thinking I'll make it 'perfect' in my vision of what it should be...and they still sit there.:face-icon-small-blu

In the end.. the pragmatics and self discipline of making something.... and finishing it.... are something that I've come to admire.

Could he have cut another 10 lbs out of the sled?? Probably (maybe that will be on a future sled)
Would that have worked with his sponsors and been finished by now with his current work load... probably not.

You can see it on Chris's face and smile....He is STOKED to have built this sled... who wouldn't want a cool toy like this ??

When he posts the build / Cost list, could someone post it or a link?

My guess is they still left a lot on the table. Especially if he only used currently available aftermarket items, or soon to be released stuff.

There are a lot of stock and aftermarket parts that can be lightened further without losing necessary strength if done properly. The manufactures don't do it due to the cost, and most customers don't want to pay for the time and detail work required to make a truly lite-weight but strong part.

Other stock parts can benefit from a material change.
For example; If someone were to replicate the Bulkhead and tunnel pieces as they are in true Carbon fiber (not the Polaris Faux Carbon Fiber). The weight savings would be another 10-15 pounds and be stronger and stiffer than the current aluminum.
Another would be all the fasteners replaced with Titanium or Aluminum where allowable. He likely did the easy fasteners (Alt Impact's kits) but those only cover less than 1/3 of the total fasteners (although most of the larger heavier ones).
As well as Ceramic bearings or at least Hybrids.

The biggest gain in the future will be revolutionizing the CVT. Eliminating the clutches as we know them. Another easy 10-15 pounds if we can get beyond the current box.

I've hinted at some Intellectual Property I've been sitting on for about 25 years that would do just that. Just don't have the means currently to finalize and market it.

I would bet that sub 340# is still in reach. Less than the stock dry weight when Wet, fueled and Ready to Ride.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
1ece44a925adc4986f6015e2f309dcb0.png

That doo 850 size tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features