• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit 850: Ratchet, Slap, Rocks and Carnage!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So, I can GUESS which rock caused this looking back in hindsight, but at the time I would NOT have suspected ANY significant damage from what I thought was a pretty minor hit that I went up and over on a gentle slope I was climbing down in Hell Roaring..

Oh well
Live and learn

These Doos are a whole lot more fragile than my nytros were.

There is a trade off to save all this weight, all that armor on the yammi costs pounds but apparently saves $$$

This one is going to be Expensive!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
More carnage found!
5a8998243f01f1e925e75807ef016758.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I assume you did not hit something worth mentioning? Looks like the swaybar did that !?
Further clarification just arrived.
This one is on my SON'S 850!
This looks like further damage from the big hit he took 3 weeks ago at Togwotee that we MISSED...

ALL THREE of my 850s are in the shop all being worked on as we speak.
All three are SERIOUSLY BROKEN.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Further clarification just arrived.
This one is on my SON'S 850!
This looks like further damage from the big hit he took 3 weeks ago at Togwotee that we MISSED...

ALL THREE of my 850s are in the shop all being worked on as we speak.
All three are SERIOUSLY BROKEN.

YIKES!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Sorry to hear that Christopher.

Honestly though, that is one of the reasons i prefer Cat. They have the strongest mountain chassis.

GS6

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Sorry to hear that Christopher.

Honestly though, that is one of the reasons i prefer Cat. They have the strongest mountain chassis.

GS6

For a 2 stroke that might well be the case.
But over all, none of the hits I have taken in the past 3 weeks would have caused any damage of note on the Nytros..

I am really learning what a huge difference that 100lbs of metal actually makes to durability.

My riding style WILL have to change and become FAR MORE CAUTIOUS going forward.

I was SPOILED on the Nytros...

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Get the brace kits and a skid plate. Ski-doo has NEEDED brace kits sine 2003.5 when the REV came out. I had an 06, and when i totalled it with a ski hit, i ran away from DOO. I was hoping the G4 was finally going to be the sled that would bring me back to DOO........

GS6

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Get the brace kits and a skid plate. Ski-doo has NEEDED brace kits sine 2003.5 when the REV came out. I had an 06, and when i totalled it with a ski hit, i ran away from DOO. I was hoping the G4 was finally going to be the sled that would bring me back to DOO........

GS6

WHO is making the BEST KITS??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Can you give us a rundown on what's broken on each one? That's a tough weekend...

My sled and my youngest son's sled both broke the chaincase from direct impact on the bottom.

His remained wet, mine drained out.

Both Tunnels are bent and have to be either replaced or straightened, and the jury is out as to whether they can be straightened or not yet..

His inner and outer chaincase have to be replaced.
My inner and outer and ALL internal parts have to be replaced.

My oldest son broke his Suspension Module, shattered a side panel and punched a hole in the inner clutch cover. We are not certain about suspension damage "Yet", will know soon, but his skis do not line up with each other so at the least the bulkhead is tweaked.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Adjusting Track Tension: Ski-Doo Rev 4 850

Sorry to see all the damage on the sleds. I have run RPM Composites skid plates on a couple of machines now and have sold them with no sign of any impact damage. Raffi is working on his new molds now and should have some product very soon. He is a great guy, give him a call and see what he recommends. I believe that his skid plate will be two piece. The second piece will cover the area that is not covered by the Doo skid plate, the brake area. If the second piece works out and can be added to work with the Doo skid plate I may purchase it separately?

I am concerned that you have a broken bulkhead (not the first we have seen) as the cast one was supposed to be much stronger than the original one?

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Did you have the limiter strap in the stock position? Even with a skid plate it doesn't protect the chaincase. With the 3" track they extended the chaincase, but this makes it more vulnerable.
I recently ordered the ZRP z motion, which they claim will add ski pressure, ZRP also says you will be able to most likely let out the limiter 1 hole add more front track shock travel. I am thinking this may make the chaincase a bit less vulnerable, if there is more suspension travel up front.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
My sled and my youngest son's sled both broke the chaincase from direct impact on the bottom.

His remained wet, mine drained out.

Both Tunnels are bent and have to be either replaced or straightened, and the jury is out as to whether they can be straightened or not yet..

His inner and outer chaincase have to be replaced.
My inner and outer and ALL internal parts have to be replaced.

My oldest son broke his Suspension Module, shattered a side panel and punched a hole in the inner clutch cover. We are not certain about suspension damage "Yet", will know soon, but his skis do not line up with each other so at the least the bulkhead is tweaked.

Damn. That sucks.

Premium Features