• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Polaris predictions

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Makes me think of Sawyer. He's got a whole football team of kids, and probably double the amount of youth dirtbikes in his garage.
BUT, he only has like one adult sized bike. HAHAHA.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
I hope there comes a newer Widetrack soon. The ones they have now have been outdated for a long time. They still have the 500 in Edge chassis, and the 600 and 4 stroke in the IQ chassis. Bombardier and Arctic Cat have the best utility class sleds, no doubt.

I would like to see a Axys 800 Widetrack. Or atleast a Pro Ride 800 Widetrack.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Factory Snowbike?

So I guess I'm out of the loop here, somebody please provide me some good arguments for me to ponder.

Why would Polaris want to invest a bunch of money on a factory snowbike? What's wrong with Polaris just owning Timbersled and having people go buy their bikes from bike people (KTM, Honda, Yamaha etc.) and then putting on a snow conversion kit from Timbersled?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So I guess I'm out of the loop here, somebody please provide me some good arguments for me to ponder.

Why would Polaris want to invest a bunch of money on a factory snowbike? What's wrong with Polaris just owning Timbersled and having people go buy their bikes from bike people (KTM, Honda, Yamaha etc.) and then putting on a snow conversion kit from Timbersled?

Everyone who owns a Snowbike would like more power.

Many folks don't build projects.
A Snowbike is undoubtedly a build project.

3 see #1
End of argument :)

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK

A "kit" from any manufacture to convert any motorcycle is a huge compromise due to the manufacture (of the motorcycle) engineering it for wheeled use the geometry, balance, ergonomics, suspension tuning, gear ratios, lack of HP, etc. are all wrong for being used as a snow bike.

A purpose build narrow, technical terrain vehicle with a decent dose of Horse Power would kill all the kits for bikes produced by any manufacture. Especially if Polaris were to follow the engineering philosophy from the last two light, ultra rigid sled chassis'. I'd like to see a sub 300# purpose built narrow, technical terrain vehicle. But that would require a far more revolutionary view in the design stage, more along the lines of a Yeti KIT rigidly coupled to an AXYS like bulkhead with single set of A-arms straight out the front with a Yeti like spindle and Yeti ski. To get the weight down and efficiency up; a non-conventional "in the driver CVT" would be ideal. QD like belt drive from the 2 stroke 600 or 800 crankshaft to the "in the driver" CVT input.

IMO, Polaris buying Timbersled was a mistake. They bought the rights to manufacture the worst kit on the market. Granted Timbersled opened the gateway to this segment of the sport, but their quality just plain sucks. They do however have a strong following, so maybe it will be profitable for Polaris in the long run.

If Polaris builds it like the TimberSled Garbage, I'll make my own like described above.

Last edited:

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Whats the weight difference between an Axys motor and one of the 450 bike motors? Seeing the Axys motor on a stand it looks like I could put it in my back pocket.

Would be cool if a company built a bike with a twin stroke and designed it more for a better low end power.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010

Because a Timbersled conversion is not trail-legal in many states. Not considered a 'snowmobile'. If you're going to tool for a platform, volume is important, and you get a lot more volume potential when you can sell them to folks to also ride them on any trail.

This is the reason ACAT has been tinkering with their Sherco project - and hasn't released, yet - trying to get it classified as a snowmobile. First one to do this - get it classed as a sled - and lock some tech up with patents could get some serious sales momentum in the segment. Maybe Poo will beat them to the punch. You would think BRP has been working on something here, too, given their old supply agreement with the SnowHawk, Can Am stuff, etc., but ???

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin
141 x 2.6 track, 550 fan engine, all the light weight pro rmk items, 375 lbs, hand and thumb warmers, all other frills could be added as accessories. Market this just like the Indy Lites beginner sleds of the past. I will buy two of them for my kids to ride and learn on. If low volume is the issue offer them as limited build snow check only.
Polaris are you reading this?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
141 x 2.6 track, 550 fan engine, all the light weight pro rmk items, 375 lbs, hand and thumb warmers, all other frills could be added as accessories. Market this just like the Indy Lites beginner sleds of the past. I will buy two of them for my kids to ride and learn on. If low volume is the issue offer them as limited build snow check only.
Polaris are you reading this?

Forget the proride chassis.
Axys based and 350#. :)

A

AMAX

Dec 22, 2014
Another vote for basic kids sled with some track length. Guys are long tracking all sorts of the old lighter, smaller sleds so their kid can tag along in the mountains without being stuck every 15 minutes.

Probably not profitable but there is something to the fact that kids who grow up on sleds become adults who buy sleds. A decent kids sled that gets used by a few kids for 15-20 years and gets some of them hooked must have some value.

My 10 year old on his 340 Yamaha Ovation 136" mod in the Snowies

RyanDeepSnow2016a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
This is my son's old mountain mod fanner it's a 1997 xcf 440 fan with a 99 rmk 136 skid and 136 1 1/4" track he's ridding a 12 600 pro 155 now but likes this one so I keep it to ride around home.

I would have loved a EFI, electric start, long tracked fanner kids sled.

IMG_20161118_144348959_TOP.jpg IMG_20161118_144338978_TOP.jpg

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Usually mfg quit doing things that lose money.

Don't forget that snowmobile sales are only 8% of Polaris corporate revenue. (Word from the only dealer I trust)
Frankly I'm surprised they invest what they do.

Adults spend money first and foremost on themselves.......
Ideally it might be different but reality is what it is.
When they are not making snowmobiles they are making ATV's in the same plant. They make a lot of money on snowmobiles and everything that goes with it. They put a ton of money recently into the Roseau plant and the R&D facility in the town of Wyoming, MN. I am glad they are here.
I took a video with my phone of the six new models for 2018. I was in the right place at the right time. :eyebrows:
https://youtu.be/j_7cE3bNCjM

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Polaris already makes the sled some of you are asking for and has for years.

A 144, 550 Fan cooled Pro-ride sled. It's called a voyager and you just need to put a taller track on it or Snowcheck one and I believe you can even get a taller track on it from the start.

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/snowmobiles/550-voyageur-144

They also make it in a 155:

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/snowmobiles/550-voyageur-155

This is as close as your ever going to get because there is no way they will build a mid-size chassis for the few people that would actually buy them.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
How can a fan cooled smaller track sled weigh 50lbs more than a 600 or 800 liquid cooled sled???

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
They are heavier because there is no lightweight equipment on them.

It would be nice to see a RMK-Lite 550F, an AXYS Pro chassis...but with no tunnel coolers extrusions and the fanner. I'd bet that sled could be delivered at 375 stock weight w/155".

Last edited:

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin
Polaris already makes the sled some of you are asking for and has for years.

A 144, 550 Fan cooled Pro-ride sled. It's called a voyager and you just need to put a taller track on it or Snowcheck one and I believe you can even get a taller track on it from the start.

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/snowmobiles/550-voyageur-144

They also make it in a 155:

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/snowmobiles/550-voyageur-155

This is as close as your ever going to get because there is no way they will build a mid-size chassis for the few people that would actually buy them.

I would agree that low volume on a mid size sled would be an issue. I have asked for that and believe the first MFG to build one will own the market. The MFG are spending a lot of money protecting patent rights to block mid size imports from entering the US, and they don't even have a product that would compete with it. Yamaha and Cat are putting together joint ventures on other products, and if volume is the issue this could be an option to help all the MFG to grow the sport. Past history shows that affordable entry level sleds are possible (Indy Lite). If the mid size is so unobtainable there are other options. The current Polaris offering are tanks when compared to water-cooled 800 @ 408 pounds. Polaris has all the parts to build a 375 pound deep snow entry level sled with parts from the shelf. I don't understand how it would be so hard to offer this as a snow check only option. They are currently building to order with snow check so I know they could make this happen. Again the first MFG to offer this will own this market and pull other brand loyalist to their brand.

Premium Features