• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AXYS vs DOO Comparison

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
Comparing your summit 13 and 16 years compared to your Pro 14 and 15 years, could you comment on reliability/ mechanical issues?

I've not really had any issues with any of them, The Exhaust valve blots broke on my 15 but dealer had it repaired in one day.

So I wouldn't base my choice on base on reliability. Each has different features that I like.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Traction
850 Doo 165x16=2640 square inches
163 Axys 163x15=2445 square inches

I suppose there are multiple ways to argue this, but one would think "traction" would be based on there only being a certain amount of track on the ground (snow) at any given time, since the track goes over the drivers in the front, contacts the snow, then around the wheels in the back and and up through the tunnel. So I'm pretty sure the square inches on the ground is only a little more than 1/3 of what is listed there :) Still should be a little more flotation / traction with the doo doo since it is 16" wide. No real biggie though.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Your numbers from dynotech are inflated on the ho poo motor.. Here was the average from three runs on latest shootout .

8200 153.9 98.6
8300 154.1 97.5
8400 149.9 93.7
8500 136.8 84.5
Taken from there site

Now if you add some pipe mods you can get to your number but need some $$

Are you looking at the correct numbers? These look like the 11-15 non ho numbers.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
When Dynotech did the live feed back when it came out they had like 3 pulls at 159 and then reached 160.3.

Last edited:

Smoke Show

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2008
Fort Nelson, BC
When Dynotech did the live feed back when it came out they had like 3 pulls at 159 and then reached 160.3.

"dyntoech ran the new 800 ho polaris 77 times in one day. The most power they saw with a stock ecu was 153.8

It wouldn't make any more power than that, until a special ecu that was sent directly from polaris, was installed."

Nobody has got more than 153.x on a stock axys HO

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
"dyntoech ran the new 800 ho polaris 77 times in one day. The most power they saw with a stock ecu was 153.8

It wouldn't make any more power than that, until a special ecu that was sent directly from polaris, was installed."

Wow, Ok... Had not seen that one. Crazy how this 153hp sled does then and is much better than the non-ho with about the same HP.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
Wow, Ok... Had not seen that one. Crazy how this 153hp sled does then and is much better than the non-ho with about the same HP.

all you are looking at is the top end HP. are you strictly drag racing this sled? strictly chute climbing? if not, then look at the other aspects of it. i rode an axys off and on one day, and the "better" feeling of that ho engine is alot more than WOT top end HP. the smoothness, the low end grunt, and the quick rev is better than the old 800......alot better. maybe some of it is clutching too, i dont know. i have never compared pro vs axys clutching to see what changed. that extra grunt you can feel with the ho is not all top end HP.......................so please, get over the frickin numbers game already

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID

You had better go read the Axys 800HO Update: dated March 3, 2015 Sled #1 w/1200 miles (which was the sled that got the 77 dyno runs). Stock sled, original sled's ECU, and he's now at 156.4 running 5% eth gas, ECU set for non-eth.

Funny thing is a really really good rider can do more a lower HP sled than someone that's only so-so on a higher HP sled. Rider is majority of the equation and always will be.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I am looking to pick up two of either (850 or axys) for my wife and I, the 850 or an axys. Or maybe one of both?? Probably in the 160ish length x 3in.

For the AXYS don't bother with the 3" for your wife. She will probably appreciate the light weight 2.6" way more. The weight is a noticeable difference but the traction isn't.

At least try both before you buy. Expect the Doo to feel much heavier than the 2.6" version of the AXYS too. I have many Doo guys that tell me they feel the belt drives I sell make the Doo's fell lighter just because the lower rotating mass.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Thanks, well seems to be even more close then. Unless the doo has a lot more torque as a result from the longer stroke. I think only riding one you could really know for sure.

The 850 seems very risky though with no real ride reports. Axys owners, would you honestly buy an axys all over again if you had the chance? No brand bashing, I am just looking for honest opinions. I mean this is $15000 for a sled, it's a lot of money. It seems like the axys has been the sled to beat as far as agility, but is it worth some of the mechanical issues you have encountered? And how long has it taken for the dealer to take care of some of these issues? Warranty really doesn't mean much to me if it takes a dealer a month to fix a mechanical issue and I miss out on like 1/4 of my good snow season.

I would buy an AXYS again but not spring check and buy the 2.6" track and you can get a price way lower than the Doo. You will get more for less, especially if you find a 2016.

Ken Climb

Premium Member
Your numbers from dynotech are inflated on the ho poo motor.. Here was the average from three runs on latest shootout .

8200 153.9 98.6
8300 154.1 97.5
8400 149.9 93.7
8500 136.8 84.5
Taken from there site

Now if you add some pipe mods you can get to your number but need some $$

Well the doo's sure aren't getting that power to the track. The T3 174 in our group is a trench monster and doesn't even come close when climbing against the 164 2.6 axys. Just doesn't make track speed.

T3 horseshoe to tree!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
Since this is the comparison thread, I thought it would be interesting to look at all three. They all look really good but Doo needs to work on that attack angle

View attachment 267819

If you think about it, it's pretty much impossible to get a better attack angle out of a Doo. The chain case is already in the foot well. All that centralization has left no room to push the drive forward and decrease attack angle. They screwed themselves there The Only way is to move the suspension back. But then that changes the pivot point of the entire sled and the advantage of that centralization is lost. Without a total rethink on layout it just isn't going to happen on where doo is currently going

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
If you think about it, it's pretty much impossible to get a better attack angle out of a Doo. The chain case is already in the foot well. All that centralization has left no room to push the drive forward and decrease attack angle. They screwed themselves there The Only way is to move the suspension back. But then that changes the pivot point of the entire sled and the advantage of that centralization is lost. Without a total rethink on layout it just isn't going to happen on where doo is currently going

If they dropped the front of the sled 2" (shorter spindles) it would help a ton. Look at the axys and cat. The fronts are lower but the rear bumper is just as high as the Doo. Between that and not stuffing everything so close together they have really good angles.

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
If they dropped the front of the sled 2" (shorter spindles) it would help a ton. Look at the axys and cat. The fronts are lower but the rear bumper is just as high as the Doo. Between that and not stuffing everything so close together they have really good angles.

I'm not sure that would have a positive effect. You'd lose some clearance to the belly pan, and would just cause the sleds pivot point to move forward, which can be argued either way. Also the centre of gravity would move downwards causing the ability to be rolled side to side to change. IN my mind a lower centre of gravity would be a negative effect. On a trail sled that wild be a positive. But on a mountain sled it causes you to have to fight more in the deep snow

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
or tighten adjustable limiter strap if you prefer the oldschool heavy front end feel:)

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I'm not sure that would have a positive effect. You'd lose some clearance to the belly pan, and would just cause the sleds pivot point to move forward, which can be argued either way. Also the centre of gravity would move downwards causing the ability to be rolled side to side to change. IN my mind a lower centre of gravity would be a negative effect. On a trail sled that wild be a positive. But on a mountain sled it causes you to have to fight more in the deep snow

As it is right now the Doo sits higher than any of them. There's more than one reason the poo has a better angle but having a lower front is one of them. Another reason is the drivers and mounting points for the skid are further forward.

R
Feb 29, 2016
That brings up one of my peeves about both thee Cat and the Doo, crap in the footwells... How is it that Polaris has been selling the best handling mtn sled on the snow for years now without a chanicase or brake rotor where your foot needs to be?

The Axys is arguably the best balanced yet I do not have to fight for space in the footwell when I need it. If that isn't fixed and the steering post angle isn't fixed then the general ergonomics are still badly flawed compared to the Polaris. I am not a customer of theirs until they fix those issues.

Smoke Show

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2008
Fort Nelson, BC
Well the doo's sure aren't getting that power to the track. The T3 174 in our group is a trench monster and doesn't even come close when climbing against the 164 2.6 axys. Just doesn't make track speed.

T3 horseshoe to tree!!

Then your buddy can't ride or he has his setup wrong because that's not what I'm seeing.

Its the same ol story. Ford vs Chevy. Ride them both and pick what you want. G4 will probably climb better and be easier to ride and the Polaris will technical ride better and be more consistent on its side.

But if you don't pull them out of the garage its pointless so make sure you get out and ride!

Premium Features