• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AXYS vs DOO Comparison

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
you will get a good glimpse when you are passed on the hill:eyebrows:

G

Gobig510

Nov 26, 2010
Colorado
Actual Comparison

I am looking to pick up two of either (850 or axys) for my wife and I, the 850 or an axys. Or maybe one of both?? Probably in the 160ish length x 3in.

Weight
Anyone find out what a 163x3in axys weighs? Looks like they posted the 174 as 442 and the 850 165 as 441lbs. So obviously the 163x3 axys will weigh less than the 174x3 axys, but how much less will it weigh than the 850 165? Seems like they should be pretty close... The 850 165x3 might weigh like 10-15lbs more than the 163x3 axys??

Power
850 Doo is 165
Axys is like 152

Power/Weight
850 Doo: Probably the winner since over 10hp more but only about 10-15lbs more weight???

Drive
Both chaincase. Axys offers the 3in only in chaincase, correct?

Traction
850 Doo 165x16=2640 square inches
163 Axys 163x15=2445 square inches

Ski stance
850 Doo 35
Axys 39

Maintenance/ Reliability
850 Doo???????
Axys: seems like issues so far have been tps, some sort of bog, spindles, electrical connections, maybe weak tunnel and track?

Fuel Consumption
850??? Marketed as 19mpgs but we all know that can't be true
Axys: Probably fairly comparable to other 800 sleds?

Suspension
Probably comparable suspension stock??

Looks
850: meh
Axys: Definitely the winner here

Price:
850 X 165x3 $13900
Axys LE 163x3 $15000

So all in all kind of a hard decision it seems. Both seem pretty comparable. The axys probably beats it by 10-15lbs in weight, but then again, the doo is $1000 less, how much weight can you drop for a $1000? Ski stance of Doo is appealing. Doo seems to have more power and track on the ground, so probably will hillclimb better than the Axys. But what about agility in the trees? I wish I could test them both side-by-side.

I have to work A TON. When I get the chance to ride, I don't want to spend time tinkering, and definitely would like to minimize my down days due to a broken down sled. I know they all break, but honest opinions, which manufacturer has a better track record? Seems like Doo??

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I am looking to pick up two of either (850 or axys) for my wife and I, the 850 or an axys. Or maybe one of both?? Probably in the 160ish length x 3in.

Weight
Anyone find out what a 163x3in axys weighs? Looks like they posted the 174 as 442 and the 850 165 as 441lbs. So obviously the 163x3 axys will weigh less than the 174x3 axys, but how much less will it weigh than the 850 165? Seems like they should be pretty close... The 850 165x3 might weigh like 10-15lbs more than the 163x3 axys??

Power
850 Doo is 165
Axys is like 152

Power/Weight
850 Doo: Probably the winner since over 10hp more but only about 10-15lbs more weight???

Drive
Both chaincase. Axys offers the 3in only in chaincase, correct?

Traction
850 Doo 165x16=2640 square inches
163 Axys 163x15=2445 square inches

Ski stance
850 Doo 35
Axys 39

Maintenance/ Reliability
850 Doo???????
Axys: seems like issues so far have been tps, some sort of bog, spindles, electrical connections, maybe weak tunnel and track?

Fuel Consumption
850??? Marketed as 19mpgs but we all know that can't be true
Axys: Probably fairly comparable to other 800 sleds?

Suspension
Probably comparable suspension stock??

Looks
850: meh
Axys: Definitely the winner here

Price:
850 X 165x3 $13900
Axys LE 163x3 $15000

So all in all kind of a hard decision it seems. Both seem pretty comparable. The axys probably beats it by 10-15lbs in weight, but then again, the doo is $1000 less, how much weight can you drop for a $1000? Ski stance of Doo is appealing. Doo seems to have more power and track on the ground, so probably will hillclimb better than the Axys. But what about agility in the trees? I wish I could test them both side-by-side.

I have to work A TON. When I get the chance to ride, I don't want to spend time tinkering, and definitely would like to minimize my down days due to a broken down sled. I know they all break, but honest opinions, which manufacturer has a better track record? Seems like Doo??

Track record - depends on which years you are talking about - they seem to go back and forth

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
The "on paper" comparison does little justice to how these two will fair in the field.

The Axys is going to remain a more rigid, less forgiving 'track car" feel and ride.

The Doo will be a more forgiving ride Axys with slightly more power. A "sports car for dentists" ride. (I kid I kid...but it will be less sporty feeling than the Axys even if more capable on paper)

That's how I'd buy - what kind of feel do you prefer? What kind of rider are you?

And yes, the Axys had a few issues this season but they are all minimal in the grand scheme of things...

Last edited:
G

Gobig510

Nov 26, 2010
Colorado
Riding Style

I'm a relatively fit 27 year old that prefers to ride in the trees. I couldn't even come close to riding like Burandt, but that's the style of riding I prefer. I typically beat the s*** out of stuff, probably mostly due to my lack of skill. So I guess I am going for a more nimble sled that can take a beating, and is relatively easy to maintain. Probably asking for too much.

G

Gobig510

Nov 26, 2010
Colorado
Dynotech

150 range was the non HO
159-160.4ish is the HO engine.

HP was increased in the new Axys HO engine.

Thanks, well seems to be even more close then. Unless the doo has a lot more torque as a result from the longer stroke. I think only riding one you could really know for sure.

The 850 seems very risky though with no real ride reports. Axys owners, would you honestly buy an axys all over again if you had the chance? No brand bashing, I am just looking for honest opinions. I mean this is $15000 for a sled, it's a lot of money. It seems like the axys has been the sled to beat as far as agility, but is it worth some of the mechanical issues you have encountered? And how long has it taken for the dealer to take care of some of these issues? Warranty really doesn't mean much to me if it takes a dealer a month to fix a mechanical issue and I miss out on like 1/4 of my good snow season.

I am both a Doo and a Poo fan. I currently have a 2015 T3 163 and love it. I have driven the Axys in a 155 (in a 3in and a 2.6) and a 163 in a 2.6. I really like both sleds, if you pull your head out of your a$$ and not be a brand basher while driving them you will soon realize they both act close to the same. They both lift the front out of the snow well with the Doo maybe a bit more then the Poo. The Axys throttle response is definitely better. E-tec fuel consumption is the best, its seems that every riding day consistently mile for mile with my friends the E-tec is about $5-$7 less in fuel consumption, not very much. That can be offset by the lower oil consumption of the Polaris, Polaris burns less oil. Most things that the T3 guys complain about (wide footwells and side panels) LOOK to be resolved with the new Gen 4 chassis. Time will tell I guess. I love the Axys running boards so hopefully doo went that direction in a good way. I think the Pro 163x3 is listed around 421 or 426 so it is a bit lighter. Honestly driving the Axys to the T3 I cannot tell the difference in weight. Downhill carves the T3 does it better all day, sidehills the Pro Axys does it better all day. Flat carving both are the same, Axys you put a bit more effort in, T3 you put to much you loose control but 10 minutes saddle time you figure it out quickly. Maintenance, well my T3 2300 miles no engine maintenance yet, clutches 1 rebuild cause i am picky ($130), 1 handwarmer crapped out, 1 oil cap warped a bit, facotry belt lasted 2032 miles. The Axys I have seen alot of bent rear tunnels from touching things like trees and harder snow, I was a bit disappointed there. The track, currently Doo I would say, just seems better for all around conditions and doesnt "trench" or spin as much. Rear suspension ride I would say Doo, but even the X package has crap shocks and on big rollers on the trail they heat up and fade. The Doo suspension tends to lift the front skis up but over transfers and digs the back down. The Pro the front comes up a bit less and the rear of the track goes down a bit less. I would say Pro for overall performance, Doo for ride. Traction, I can tell the 16 inch wide and the foot print has more. And look at that rear bumper on the gen 4, its about time mfgs did this! Oh ya, skis, hands down the grippers and the factory scratchers the Doo ones suck. The Doo seems to have ski rubber issues, last year I went through 5 or 6 pairs. This year I put on a set of Munster spacers and i put new rubbers on at the beginning of the season and I still have them on.

I think they will be both great sleds man! As usual it comes down to dealer and what you like! I got a new Gen 4 850 165 coming, if I dont like it a Axys 163x3 will replace it thats all!

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Gotta ride them both.

Either you can learn to like/love the steering, or not. The answer is on the snow.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I'm a relatively fit 27 year old that prefers to ride in the trees. I couldn't even come close to riding like Burandt, but that's the style of riding I prefer. I typically beat the s*** out of stuff, probably mostly due to my lack of skill. So I guess I am going for a more nimble sled that can take a beating, and is relatively easy to maintain. Probably asking for too much.

Either sled will allow "burdanting". Seriously, have to ride both. I love my Axys but could certainly learn to love a Ski-Doo. Anyone who says one is so much better than the other is crazy these days.

Evanbcx

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2015
Newfoundland
I'll be ordering a summit this year as ive always had a good experience with them, was supposed to try someone's pro 155x3 and their sks 2.4 but could not as of lack of snow, if I got out to ride one maybe that would change my mind. Also my skisoo dealer is really go to me and do there best to get me back on the snow can't say the same about the polaris dealer.

G

Gobig510

Nov 26, 2010
Colorado
I am both a Doo and a Poo fan. I currently have a 2015 T3 163 and love it. I have driven the Axys in a 155 (in a 3in and a 2.6) and a 163 in a 2.6. I really like both sleds, if you pull your head out of your a$$ and not be a brand basher while driving them you will soon realize they both act close to the same. They both lift the front out of the snow well with the Doo maybe a bit more then the Poo. The Axys throttle response is definitely better. E-tec fuel consumption is the best, its seems that every riding day consistently mile for mile with my friends the E-tec is about $5-$7 less in fuel consumption, not very much. That can be offset by the lower oil consumption of the Polaris, Polaris burns less oil. Most things that the T3 guys complain about (wide footwells and side panels) LOOK to be resolved with the new Gen 4 chassis. Time will tell I guess. I love the Axys running boards so hopefully doo went that direction in a good way. I think the Pro 163x3 is listed around 421 or 426 so it is a bit lighter. Honestly driving the Axys to the T3 I cannot tell the difference in weight. Downhill carves the T3 does it better all day, sidehills the Pro Axys does it better all day. Flat carving both are the same, Axys you put a bit more effort in, T3 you put to much you loose control but 10 minutes saddle time you figure it out quickly. Maintenance, well my T3 2300 miles no engine maintenance yet, clutches 1 rebuild cause i am picky ($130), 1 handwarmer crapped out, 1 oil cap warped a bit, facotry belt lasted 2032 miles. The Axys I have seen alot of bent rear tunnels from touching things like trees and harder snow, I was a bit disappointed there. The track, currently Doo I would say, just seems better for all around conditions and doesnt "trench" or spin as much. Rear suspension ride I would say Doo, but even the X package has crap shocks and on big rollers on the trail they heat up and fade. The Doo suspension tends to lift the front skis up but over transfers and digs the back down. The Pro the front comes up a bit less and the rear of the track goes down a bit less. I would say Pro for overall performance, Doo for ride. Traction, I can tell the 16 inch wide and the foot print has more. And look at that rear bumper on the gen 4, its about time mfgs did this! Oh ya, skis, hands down the grippers and the factory scratchers the Doo ones suck. The Doo seems to have ski rubber issues, last year I went through 5 or 6 pairs. This year I put on a set of Munster spacers and i put new rubbers on at the beginning of the season and I still have them on.

I think they will be both great sleds man! As usual it comes down to dealer and what you like! I got a new Gen 4 850 165 coming, if I dont like it a Axys 163x3 will replace it thats all!

Thanks for the honest opinions. I love hearing from guys who have both, too bad the 850 didn't come out last year and you could give me the scoop on that!

I rented an xm 174x3 last year and loved it. I know a lot of people have bitched about the doo steering, but I really liked the way it felt. I didn't seem to have a problem sidehilling it, it had WAY more agility than my previous summit 1000, xp, and M8, and it seemed to climb anything I could throw at it.

I think the Doo may just slightly win for me. For one, it seems like it might be slightly more durable, and I've dragged my tunnel against too many trees to count. Second, I like having something that everyone else doesn't. Here in Colorado everyone and their mother seem to have purchased an axys. However, before I commit, I really need to hop on an axys and see how it feels. Haven't been able to try one out yet. Anyone rent axys 800's in Colorado?????

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Is this from your dyno? stock sled? I have only seen the 151 or 152hp number floating around. Not that the number really matters, just trying to get a sense for how it might compare to the doo.

The numbers obviously get "massaged" a little in both directions. I believe the doo guys are having a little trouble with fuzzy math when it comes to a few comparisons . .lol

What i DOO know is the AXYS is a sports car of a sled. Feels like the difference between riding a dual sport bike and a top quality dirt bike. She is Sleek, Slender, Great looking, Powerful, Great fuel mileage, Dependable . . what more could one ask for???

The doo is still a little chubby, packing a load in her "cheeks", still has the teeter totter skid, but is making some progress. They just need a few more guys to prostitute themselves (translated: paid to say good things) for the 2nd best sled, and maybe even more peeps will think its the best. Me, not so much. I will choose the best sled on the snow . . .AXYS :)

Premium Features