• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IF YOU WERE TO SIT WITH THE ENGINEERS TO DISCUSS THE THE AXYS... WHAT WOULD YOU ASK?

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
TONS response on a factory tether...

But PLEASE engineer one that works!

Polaris' oem tether has caused more problems than its solved, since 1980.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
First i want to say, i am jealous that the polaris forum not only has a moderator but one that participates in creating and managing threads.
Good job mountain horse!

I cannot believe that Polaris has not yet made a heat exchange very similar to cats???
It has proven to be a better design.
I ride with mostly polaris sleds they hold alot of snow on the back of the boards and rear drop brackets.
Tether needs to be standard on mountain sleds. Doo wins that one.
Get rid of the CF rear bumper.
Goggle/glove warmer standard.
Reversible ice scratchers.

GS6

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Great posts... and thank you for making them...just trying to keep it in track.

Instead of a 600?

Ace

Trying to keep back-n-forth conversations out of this thread...

Just a place for people to Air their "wish list" for new sleds coming out.

I hope you can understand.

Good for their own threads... and more content can be explored in depth.

S

St0rm77

Oct 17, 2009
Fort McMurray, Alberta
things i'd like to see:

1) broader option for shocks, like make Raptors, Exit, Fox available at a premium.... seeing as some already pay for them after we get the sled, might as well take advantage of a volume discount if available
2) after riding my buddies free-ride, i have to admit that it was similar in feel ( as far as leaning into a carve) to my SKS.... imagine if poo decided to rubber dildo and track edge flex an AXYS....WOW, that would be quick to fold.
3) i agree with above statements of a 146 x 2.6, or a 146 x 3 would be a helluva lot of fun
4) 16" wide track?
5) as nice as the stock running boards are over previous generations, how about tube boards like the Skinz ones? had them on the old IQ, and they made that chassis alot stiffer, and i think i was more sure footed than the current Axys ones.
6) x 1000 about having goggle sized storage SOMEWHERE on the sled without needing to buy any of the aftermarket or add-on versions
7) boost or not to boost... option would be nice though
8) adjustable or REMOVABLE toe hooks. a couple of billet clamps and the choice would be yours
9) that's about it other than the 'y' pipe to pipe doughnut puking oil into engine compartment crap.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Though Polaris would likely have to have broad contracts with all shock manufactures to offer such a variety of options. I would DEFINITELY like to see that. The majority of users would NOT benefit from such adjustable shocks though. Most would not take the time to understand the science with so many variables (low speed dampening, high speed dampening, rebound AND, oh yeah, spring preload).
Many people don't even know how to diagnose and set their spring preload all the way around their sled for optimal performance during winter snow, let alone different settings for spring snow. But, with that being said...let's offer it.

--Options of Elka, Raptor, Exit, Fox, Walker Evans, etc
--ProArmor tether.

--reduce rotating mass on both sides of the engine. Lighter clutch cover and starter recoil assembly.

--Goggle warmer. Larger dash compartment. Padded dash compartment. Larger, heated and padded dash compartment. There, that's the ticket.

--hyperfax from the factory

--keep the hoses and electrical from rubbing and causing gremlins.

--Clean up the mid range bog?

--factory boost, 6lbs at 6k feet. Dealer controlled, no consumer tuning.

--How are the Axys rear drop brackets doing with snow build-up? Not as well as 2016 Arctic cat in my observations.

Last edited:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Why did Polaris go from the button clutch to the team clutch?
What are the year to year belt sales figures pre team and post team clutch?

S

St0rm77

Oct 17, 2009
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Though, Polaris would likely have to have broad contracts with all shock manufactures to offer such a variety of options. I would DEFINITELY like to see that. The majority of users would NOT benefit from such adjustable shocks though. Most would not take the time to understand the science with so many variables (low speed dampening, high speed dampening, rebound AND, oh yeay, spring preload).
Many people don't even know how to diagnose and set their spring preload all the way around their sled for optimal performance during winter snow, let alone different settings for spring snow. But, with that being said...let's offer it.

--Options of Elka, Raptor, Exit, Fox, Walker Evans, etc

--reduce rotating mass on both sides of the engine. Lighter clutch cover and starter recoil assembly.

--Goggle warmer. Larger dash compartment. Padded dash compartment. Larger, heated and padded dash compartment. There, that's the ticket.

--hyperfax from the factory

--keep the hoses and electrical from rubbing and causing gremlins.

--Clean up the mid range bog?

--factory boost, 6lbs at 6k feet. Dealer controlled, no consumer tuning.

--How are the Axys rear drop brackets doing with snow build-up? Not as well as 2016 Arctic cat in my observations.

agreed Scott about the shocks, but i think there would be enough of us (i would hope) that would take the opportunity with zeal and completely outfit an allready wicked handling sled and take it to the next level

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I am amazed that the AXYS is so much better in some areas than the PRO was, but there are things that were totally ignored as well.

Get rid of the center driver, use real extrovert drivers.

Get rid of the band aid fix on the drive shaft and actually engineer a real fix. I think that I have a simple one that would only need changing the one end.

I want to see the primary clutches have better durability. Why not use the washers like Cat does to stop the weights from wearing into the clutch?

Speaking of durability, I'm currently replacing a jackshaft on my Pro due to it spinning inside the bearing. I've seen this on another sled, so it is not just mine. This is something that needs to be checked. Quality control for better clearances or use bearing Locktite during assembly.

A tether needs to be standard.

I am happy to see the spindle foot extended, but they missed the mark. The ski rubbers still tear, they should have also made them the same width as the spindle.

The compartment by the windshield is worthless, they need to engineer it to actually be useful. Make it so goggles or a gps can fit in it.

Running boards should be powder coated for less snow sticking.

Y

yooper 8

Apr 14, 2008
Spring check should have option for fox shocks (easy)
More foot loop space(easy)
Stronger A-arms(easy)
3" track with quick drive option(easy)
Heated goggle storage(easy)
Simple, $3500, warrantied turbo from factory(not easy, but would sell)
Tether(easy)

M
Apr 8, 2015
Ok guys, let's face it. Whatever we discuss here is for the 2018 and beyond models. 2017 is locked.

I want to see:

- Coded tether - get rid of the key.
- A decent built in GPS, 10 years ago there were better hand held units than this IDD crap. If you need clues look at an old Garmin Montana or whatever, where you can load all kinds of maps, standard or custom.
- Torsion spring secondary
- Throttle by wire, one on each side of the handle bar for left and right hand "gas".
- Better paint jobs for gods sake, my skid is already rusting after two trips to the snow.
- Improved manufacturing system in the Polaris factory to handle a much larger "make to order" complexity. Let me truly build MY sled.
- Optional ultrasilent can (riding in some very sensitive areas)
- Extra headlight options -led bars or whatever
- Tail/brake light that does not ice up.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
My recommendations/critiques:

Out of range TPS settings causing idle and starting problems, like mine!
Coolant hoses rubbing on engine parts, missing hose clamp on coolant lines.
Very poor quality steering post bushings, nevermind wearing out after a few hundred miles, mine has a huge amount of play to begin with!
Standard Tether

The critiques I mention already have real-world solutions, that's why I'm so frustrated with my $13k new sled that won't even idle in the garage :(

Yes, based on my experience with my Pro they really need to goto to higher quality electrical components and TPS hardware.

T
Nov 26, 2014
Goggle warmer bigger hand grips and sense polaris is starting to buy out some smaller companies they should offer those parts on the snow check and for sure factory turbo:face-icon-small-coo they really need to fix tps and the tss I still have to unplug my kill switch every ride I think this is in the works dealer said they had a couple come in with a 109 tss codes

Last edited:
W
Nov 26, 2007
Powville, WA and BC
Production Quality Improvements-wiring and electronic components

Durability-focus on making the sled hold up for 3-4 hard seasons of Mt riding.

Handlebars-height options are great but would also like a hook or slight bend option for the bar ends.

Factory Turbo-low boost pump gas for an additional 4K

C
Dec 24, 2014
I will just echo more of the same...

Lower a-arms need to be stronger

Needs better dash storage. If you are going to have it, at least make it functional, unlike the one on the '16s which just fills up with snow...

Tether

I think Polaris has been missing the boat since they started using WE shocks almost ten years ago. They have been crap since day one. At least give us some options. The Fox package on the '16 Cat is an example. Light years ahead of the junk they keep selling us.

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
The number ONE thing I would like too see is the lower A arms being a little stronger ( this is a must ) I have got to ride my friends 16 AXYS Pro a lot,and I love it , I ride a 15 Pro now and their is a big difference, I plan on buying a 17. Just hope they do something about the arms so I am not forced to buy a set of after market.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
More room in foot-wells and make that goofy "hoop" removable so people have the choice.
I have experienced and heard of many twisted and broken ankles getting caught in there.

Premium Features