• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Issues with Axys aluminum a-arms

Jul 22, 2009
It doesn't bother you to buy a $13,000 toy and find out the manufacturer hasn't made the front end strong enough to ride? Bothers me. I have bent both of my lower arms, the left one twice. I have not hit anything hard with the sled.

EVERYBODY that has bent an a-arm needs to file a claim with Polaris so they GET IT. I did and they gave me one freebie but claim this is not a product defect. No, it isn't a defect it is an engineering FAIL and they need to hear from customers, a bunch of them, before they will acknowledge the mistake and take action.

Haha, to clarify I meant that the "it doesn't bother me what the other opinions out there are, whether you agree with me or not" and that I was absolutely backing those up that have said these are WAY too soft. The a-arms do bother me, other peoples's opinions don't if you think they are doing what they are supposed to. I've read that a few times on here... they could be a lot stronger and still do what they are supposed to. I will be calling Polaris.

C
Dec 24, 2014
They are currently sticking to the party line of DENIAL. I love the "you will break something else" excuse. Have you seen some of the non RMK arms bolted to this chassis? Heck, I would take an old set of Pro lowers, even glued they are WAY tougher than these.

Part of having the newest model I guess... I just hope they get on board with a solution. Swallow a little of that pride and engineering cost.

I rode all day today and didn't bend an a-arm...

OnlyPolaris

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
i dont know what your guys idea of barely hit anything is. But the last ride out i hit a rock and a tree enough that it bucked me off the sled. zero damage. Also hit a couple more trees that left tree bark on the lower arms. again zero damage. i will add in that my a-arms are powder coated. if you tear lugs off your track and bend an upper suspension mount, you hit something pretty hard.

C
Dec 24, 2014
i dont know what your guys idea of barely hit anything is. But the last ride out i hit a rock and a tree enough that it bucked me off the sled. zero damage. Also hit a couple more trees that left tree bark on the lower arms. again zero damage. i will add in that my a-arms are powder coated. if you tear lugs off your track and bend an upper suspension mount, you hit something pretty hard.

Well my sled still cleans up just like new. Perfect track, plastics and all other parts.

If you think these arms are strong enough to bash through the woods like past years, your time is coming...

M
Apr 8, 2015
Where does this "you will break something else" excuse come from?

Is it even valid?

Sofar, Polaris has not made an official statement either way. But they do state the following on POLARIS.COM:

" Polaris mountain sleds have always been light AND rigid, and for 2016 Polaris has added strength & durability while reducing weight on the RMK® AXYS® platform. Polaris uses design optimization software to analyze the loads and stress points for various systems and components of the snowmobile which allows the team to design lightweight yet durable snowmobiles."

AND

"Polaris continuously pursues new innovations and technology, and for 2016 the Polaris® RMK® features an industry-first...forged a-arms. The one-piece, forged a-arms are lighter (approximately 1.5 lbs lighter) while providing optimal strength. Forging is widely used and proven through the automotive industry. This design reduces unsprung mass leading to a better ride quality and increased maneuvarability."

So, from this we learn that "Polaris uses design optimization software to analyze the loads and stress points" AND that the forged a-arms have "optimal strength". Which in other words means that they have chosen a specific compromise between strength and weight that they think is "optimal".

However, coming back to the "you will break something else" excuse. How can it be that the 2016 Polaris 800 RMK Assault has a "Competition-Spec Front End" ?

To me "competition-spec" means stronger, tougher, more durable. Does the RMK Assault have a different, stronger, bulk-head to accomodate the "competition-spec" non-aluminium Assault a-arms? Or is it it just a matter of fact that it is perfectly ok to use a-arms stronger than the forged ones on the Axys RMK bulk-head???

Excuse valid or not?

Are there any 2016 RMK Assault owners out there that can chime in and let us know if they have busted any of their a-arms, or bulk-heads for that matter?

11-rmk-assault-800-h.o.-155a_reference.jpg

C
Dec 24, 2014
Where does this "you will break something else" excuse come from?

Is it even valid?

Sofar, Polaris has not made an official statement either way. But they do state the following on POLARIS.COM:

" Polaris mountain sleds have always been light AND rigid, and for 2016 Polaris has added strength & durability while reducing weight on the RMK® AXYS® platform. Polaris uses design optimization software to analyze the loads and stress points for various systems and components of the snowmobile which allows the team to design lightweight yet durable snowmobiles."

AND

"Polaris continuously pursues new innovations and technology, and for 2016 the Polaris® RMK® features an industry-first...forged a-arms. The one-piece, forged a-arms are lighter (approximately 1.5 lbs lighter) while providing optimal strength. Forging is widely used and proven through the automotive industry. This design reduces unsprung mass leading to a better ride quality and increased maneuvarability."

So, from this we learn that "Polaris uses design optimization software to analyze the loads and stress points" AND that the forged a-arms have "optimal strength". Which in other words means that they have chosen a specific compromise between strength and weight that they think is "optimal".

However, coming back to the "you will break something else" excuse. How can it be that the 2016 Polaris 800 RMK Assault has a "Competition-Spec Front End" ?

To me "competition-spec" means stronger, tougher, more durable. Does the RMK Assault have a different, stronger, bulk-head to accomodate the "competition-spec" non-aluminium Assault a-arms? Or is it it just a matter of fact that it is perfectly ok to use a-arms stronger than the forged ones on the Axys RMK bulk-head???

Excuse valid or not?

Are there any 2016 RMK Assault owners out there that can chime in and let us know if they have busted any of their a-arms, or bulk-heads for that matter?

That was one of the "excuses" given to me by Polaris customer service. Along with the statement that replacing an a-arm for me does not constitute an admission that the arms are not strong enough. It was a "goodwill" replacement.

The excuse is definitely not valid. It is way to avoid a hugely expensive replacement program.

Just keep sending them pictures of their optimized arms bent like pretzels.

No wonder they had such limited demo rides....

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
8ba8f82bc580dc366348a6a0cd9548d3.jpg

If you are worried about the bulkhead ripping apart in the front.

Weld a piece between the studs. :)
Preventative measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rain Man

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2002
Brainerd,MN

I have a 2013 RMK Assault, bought it exactly for the reason of chaincase, and front end durability concerns. Since I travel from MN to ride, am not as good of a rider as everyone else on the forums are, and want to minimize down time when I run into stuff. The front end I believe is still the same front end A arms, or very similar to this years Assaults.

I've had two tree hits on my front end that were not saplings that I thought the result was going to be a tow out of the hills for sure, prior to inspection. They ended up being only one dented lower A arm that I'm still riding with today, well riding with soon hopefully anyway. No separating glue because of the solid Assault arms, no bending such as appears to be happening with current AXYS, and no bulkhead exploding or anything like that. Not to say I couldn't do it, part was luck, and it just hasn't happen yet. With what I've done so far, the gamble to go to the Assault instead of Pro at the time has paid off for me. Trade off is mine just isn't as "flickable" as a Pro because it weighs a few pounds more. If I was really as worried about that amount of weight though, I shouldn't be eating the all you can eat spaghetti at the Gusher anymore then either.

Last edited:
M
Apr 8, 2015
Yes Rain Man, I think you are right.

Here is what SNOWMOBILE.COM has to say about the 2016 AXYS RMK ASSAULT

(http://www.snowmobile.com/manufactu...s-800-axys-rmk-assault-review-video-1941.html)

From Front to Rear

The AXYS RMK Assault has the same raised front as the AXYS RMK Pro, but does not rely on the new forged aluminum A-arms. It uses the A-arms from the 2015 RMK Assault. Though slightly heavier than the RMK Pro’s A-arms, racers demand these for their brutal strength.

Ski stance for the RMK Assault is an adjustable 41.5 to 42.5 to 43.5 inches. It uses Walker Evans Needle Shocks and the reliable Gripper ski. The RMK Assault, unlike the Pro RMK does not have a sway bar. With a wider ski stance, the Assault compensates for the width by dropping the sway bar. This, too, is a racer’s demand. We recommend the 41.5-inch ski stance, which is similar to the RMK Pro’s narrowest. Front suspension travel is 10 inches.

Seems like the good ol' "you will break something else" excuse took a hike all of a sudden...

2016-Polaris-800-AXYS-RMK-Assault-Action.jpg

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Poll: Bulkhead or tunnel damage-aftermarket A Arms

I have bent both of my lowers now, one of them twice. I have not hit anything hard, in fact both initial bends happened on roads, covered in snow, at ~5 mph. If you give that ski and tall spindle just the right bump it prangs that a-arm super easy.

I talked Polaris out of a freebie this time. Maybe it will last long enough to get me past x-mas to where I can buy a new set from Alternative Impact.

They gave me a new arm but claim this is not a product defect just goodwill. The guy at customer service I spoke to said they have to be that way to save the bulkhead and tunnel. I told him I had insurance for that.

While I was at the dealer I looked at the Switchback they had there. Looks like the same bulkhead as the RMKs but uses much beefier steel arms.

So they can build a ditch banger with much stronger a-arms but ours will break the bulkhead???

EVERYBODY that has bent an a-arm needs to submit a claim to Polaris. It is the quickest way to get them to realize this design is seriously flawed and they need to beef up the front end some.

I have posted on here that I think the a-arms are going to be ok...until now. Broke my left lower today. Damn snow snake jumped out and got me. What is most interesting is how it happened. While I hit it hard I have previously hit stuff harder with no damage. I was riding a steep drainage holding a line and found a rock. Seems like the angle is what did me in as earlier in the morning I hit a log much harder (threw me off the sled) but not on an angle and didn't cause damage.

207.53 later I have a new a-arm. I got the last one my dealer had. Jury is still out for me on how any arms will hold up on this sled.

3d07a894284db0fef604788cd6e28ca8.jpg

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If you are breaking the uppers then you had an extremely hard hit and are risking shock damage
People are paying for take off kits and it is the lowers that are needed 99.99% of the time. I guess, as long as the whole kit doesn't cost more than 2 lowers.

T
Jan 12, 2009
I hit a tree hard enough landing a jump yesterday to fly over 10 feet from the sled. hit right at the spindle and there is zero damage, so far I am impressed with the strength, as I was on my 13

J

Jona$

Sep 29, 2012
Sweden
Man coming off a heavy Tapex to this im kind a bummed right now..people allready taking about a-arms,spindles and rails etc.. are they really this week, my Tapex held up for every beating i gave her :face-icon-small-ton

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
IMO its not as weak as the internet alludes. I have slightly tweaked one of my rails on my AXYS, but it was a HARD tail landing right on ice from jumping beaver dams on a creek. My buddy's xm jumped it right behind me and bent is tunnel and cracked his rails from the same landing.
At the end of the day, things bend/break when they hit hard things. Of course there is a balance between light weight and strength, but if you ride hard with low snow you may want to consider building your sled to take that type abuse. My arms have been holding up well with some hits, but I am sure they are the next weak link. Since I too hit hard things every once in a while I will be getting some stronger zbroz arms... Just debating 36 vs 39 lol....

Premium Features