• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RPM gauge install??

MUZBOMB

Lifetime Membership
Aug 15, 2008
Albeta sometimes Saskatchewan
Hey guys on my sons 2001 340 Indy deluxe is it possible to put a RPM gauge on it? I see there is a spot for on next to the speedo. If I bought a factory one would the harness already be on the sled just a matter of cutting the hole for it and plugging the harness in??

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Hey guys on my sons 2001 340 Indy deluxe is it possible to put a RPM gauge on it? I see there is a spot for on next to the speedo. If I bought a factory one would the harness already be on the sled just a matter of cutting the hole for it and plugging the harness in??

Not sure about whether the sled would be prepped with a connector but I would think hooking up to the lighting coil from the stator(usually yellow) & the ground(usually brown) would give the required signal for operating a tach.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I assumed it would need a signal from the ignitor to the coil for the pulsed signal which is what the tach would read. The lighting coil and ground would only illuminate the bezel.

I would have to go check to see what color wire it would be though Should be a white connector just behind the recoil housing that has all the wires in it.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I assumed it would need a signal from the ignitor to the coil for the pulsed signal which is what the tach would read. The lighting coil and ground would only illuminate the bezel.

I would have to go check to see what color wire it would be though Should be a white connector just behind the recoil housing that has all the wires in it.

The value the tach. displays is basically a measurement of the frequency(AC Hz) of the lighting circuit & therefore must be calibrated to the configuration of the stator - I.E. ____ pulses per revolution of the flywheel based on winding configuration.

My explanation may be lacking but I've installed a handful of aftermarket EGT / tach. gauges(Racepac, Koso, etc.) over the years & all used the yellow(lighting coil circuit on Polaris machines) wire as both the power supply & tach. signal.

S
Mar 16, 2008
Idaho
Check to see if there is a plug already there in the instrument cluster. I'll bet that there is. The next thing you need to find out is what pulse coil you have (probably 2 pulse). Lastly determine the diameter tach you're needing and try to find one from the same model year with the correct pulse number. Usually the tachs and speedos from a given year have the same color face, pointer and numbers (ie. I put a 97 XLT hood, instrument cluster, wiring harness on my grandson's 1990 Indy 500 and to get the tach to function I needed the 2 pulse tach so I got one from the 97 500 so that the tach and speedo matched).

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
It was an accessory on the Indy 340 Deluxe so I expect the wiring should be there. If not then just hook to a yellow lighting wire and brown for ground connection. You need to get a 2 pulse tach for the 340 so one from a Indy 500 Classic etc would work fine. Polaris part #3280293 should be the part you need.

Premium Features