• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ON-THE-SNOW RIDE IMPRESSIONS: 2016 AXYS-PRO RMK ... OUR DAY IN APINE WYO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com

Got Questions... ASK AWAY!!

ALSO NOTE:
This is just ONE of the models in the entire 2016 AXYS Mountain Line-up...
There is MUCH more coming on March 2...
You're all gonna be STOKED!!

post-teaser-rmk-sled.png

Working with Polaris this year...We had the pleasure of riding the new platform to get our impressions. .

We were able to have a small group of riders out this year to get impressions of the 2016 AXYS PRO RMK's out in Alpine Wyo. a couple of weeks ago.

Polaris stoked us out , like they did in 2013, for Sneak Peak of the '16 PRO 155's.

CLICK HERE FOR THE POLARIS AXYS PRO RMK WEBSITE.

Our group consisted of

Scott
Murph
Tammy from 2cool
Allen from 2cool
Phatty
MilehighAssassin
Max
Winter Brew
Sunridge Sledhead
MtnPull
Kim Long
mountainhorse

Other riders that were there with us... Guests of Polaris

Cole Wilford
Sahen Skinner
Dan Adams
Levi Tormenen
Jared Sessions
Engineers and
Andy Kroll (Snowmobile marketing director)
Chris Wolf (Head of Snowmobiles at Polaris)

MORE TO COME!

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
<iframe width="900" height="506" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WllZTgqD8rQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

2016-axys-pr.jpg
NEW Patented Raised AXYS® RMK® Chassis

The AXYS® RMK® features a patented, raised chassis that increases clearance and reduces drag to keep you on top of the snow. This new chassis, purpose built for mountain riding, allows for improved sidehilling, faster and easier climbing, and instantaneous lift allowing the sled to pop onto the snow faster. The carbon fiber overstructure offers reduced weight without compromising strength. New, taller spindles for 2016 increases clearance to reduce drag.

2016-axys-btyrear.jpg

NEW Rear Suspension

The new lightweight, rigid rear suspension design features revised geometry to control pitch. This improves weight transfer, delivering better control and a more compliant ride. The rigid suspension delivers power directly to the snow. Off-trail, riders will notice improved weight transfer while maintaining the approach angle. On-Trail, riders will notice a more compliant and comfortable ride. The rear suspension features a new durable, lightweight rail design that helps lift the rear skid while driving it forward.

800-engine.jpg

800 H.O. Engine

Developed in conjunction with the AXYS® platform, the proven 800 Cleanfire® H.O. Engine delivers increased power and quicker throttle response to generate instantaneous lift. The integrated mounting position optimizes the balance of the chassis.
Featuring:
  • 3-stage electronically-controlled exhaust valves for increased power and responsiveness

• Electronic oil pump for reduced throttle effort and improved durability
  • Thermostat with bypass warms up to operating temperature 40% faster and improves durability
  • High-efficiency intake and exhaust for improved breathability which increases power
  • Exclusive VForce Reeds for more power and improved reed life
  • Lightweight crankshaft that’s 2.5 lbs lighter and 25% less inertia
  • Grooved piston for improved durability and engine life

This is the same 800 H.O. engine released with great success in the 2015 Polaris® Rush® and Switchback® models, and has been proven through 100,000+ field testing miles

valves.jpg

3-Stage Electronically-Controlled Exhaust Valves

3-stage electronically-controlled exhaust valves provide improved running quality, crisper throttle response, smoother idle and improved fuel economy. The active feedback for the exhaust valve position provides more accurate fueling in transient situations. These exhaust valves also improve combustion stability, leading to improved durability and engine life.

exhaust.jpg

High-Efficiency Intake and Exhaust

New porous intake duct material and high-flow exhaust system create a better breathing engine package for more power. An all-new silencer provides reduced sound levels. Vforce reeds provide improved performance, throttle response and reed durability.

vforce-reeds.jpg

Vforce Reeds

Provide improved performance, throttle response, and reed durability

lightwieght-crankshaft.jpg

Lightweight Crank Shaft

The lightweight crankshaft is 2.5 lbs lighter and generates 25% less inertia, for quicker-revving power to pop the sled on top of the snow even quicker.

800-ho-engine-piston.jpg

800 H.O. Engine Grooved Piston

New grooved piston was designed specifically for the new 800 H.O. Cleanfire® Engine to increase durability and engine life.

serious-6-track.jpg

Series 6 2.6" Track

The all-new Polaris® exclusive Series 6 2.6" track provides the ultimate all mountain performance. The new lightweight track is designed for improved deep snow and hard pack traction and better lift.

quick-drive.jpg

QuickDrive™ Low Inertia Drive System

The QuickDrive™ Low Inertia System is designed to make the sled rev quicker for instantaneous lift and reduces rotational inertia by 21% for easier handling and flickability. Not simply a belt-drive, it is a complete lightweight drive system — featuring an extruded drive shaft, lightweight brake, RMK-specific brake caliper and of course the most visible piece of the system — a maintenance-free belt drive that requires no oil or tensioner system. The complete system reduces rotational inertia by 21% which means 5lb. less effort when carving.

Walker Evans® Monotube Shocks

The new Walker Evans® Monotube Impact-Extruded Shocks are the lightest weight shock option from Polaris for those riders counting ounces. The one-piece, simple design is lightweight yet durable.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Unfortunately, We were not able to take any photos... heck... Polaris even confiscated our cell phones for the day.

All in all a super satisfying experience and we were grateful to have Polaris invite us for the roll out.

Let me get my niece and nephew fed this morning and post up my thoughts.

I'm inviting others from our ride to chime in as well

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I want to thank Eric (MH) and Polaris for the opportunity to spend a day checking out and riding the new Pro. I got to ride about 30 miles in a variety of terrain and came away impressed with the changes....a lot of changes. Same skis and seat, other than that it's basically a different and all around improved sled.
I don't have time to go into detail right now but will share my impressions and specific details as I have time. I don't think anyone will be disapointed!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I'm very greatful for the invite to this event. We were treated great by Polaris and had a really nice time.
I knew several people there and it was no secret who they were, but I didn't realize which forum members were there also. LOL

After we finished the walk-around and inspection of the chassis we began to leave the parking lot and head for the hills.

My first impression was standing on the sled...the ergos felt REALLY similar to the 13-15 Pro RMK. Almost identical. But not quite.
Taller spindles, lug room in the bulkhead, BRIGHT LED headlight. The model I was riding had the big fancy GPS display. That was awesome. I'll have that on my sled. No doubt.

7t drivers at 2.86 pitch. Room for 3" lugs? I think so, IMO.

NARROWED Pro-taper bars. Felt MUCH better on my shoulders.

NARROW AXYS paneling will be nice when carving. Low mtn windshield comes stock. I like that.

The bonded A-arms are gone. I like that.
Not sure about the difference of the new monotube Walker Evans shocks, but there were not reservoirs on them.

Big exhaust can. Lots of weight can come off with that. You WILL have a sub-400 pound sled when you put an aftermarket can on it!!!!

FACTORY V-Force Reeds will help with throttle response.

The 2.6" series 6 track reminds me of my X3. No nubs on the lug tops either.

Upon leaving the parking lot and hitting the moguled-out trail, I immediately noticed that the throttle response due to the power to weight ratio was a BIG difference. Holy cow.
It pre-loaded and actually hopped REALLY nicely from one mogul to the next. I could feel like I was setting it down how and where I wanted. It really did.
In that sense, I felt like I was on an ultra-light snowcross sled.

Throttle pull was REALLY soft, due to the electronic oil injector.

We ran up a usually-groomed road (CRUMMY snow conditions) and turned off after a couple miles.

The actual ride report will come in a bit...I've got a couple things to do right now.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Ok... a break....

Short thoughts.

The same "DNA" as the PRO RMK's you've grown to love.... The threw out the bathwater...but kept the baby this time.... The sled has a familiar feel BUT in a whole new way.

Right off the bat... you can see that the sled sits a bit higher... throttle 'snap' is instantaneous, and is much more responsive to rider input.

More to come...screaming kids for the pancakes!!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
A few quickie specs...

2.6" lug, lighter than last years 2.4".
7T, 2.86 pitch.
Taller Quickdrive ratio but overall lower ratio with the smaller drivers.
Heavier silencer to meet noise regs so you will have a sub 400 lb sled with a silencer swap.
Narrower bars.
Highest HP.
Changes to primary clutch sheave angle for better belt life and new calibration.
Better bump ride with geometry changes and different spring rates.
skid is 2.5 lbs lighter.
LED headlight.
the list goes on.....

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I rode INTO the riding area on the 16 and then hopped onto a 15 a bit later.
I didn't think there was much of a difference with the 16 until I got onto that 15...THEN I could REALLY appreciate the handing differences.

FAR LESS rider input, even on crappy crusty snow.

Less effort, less energy to ride=longer riding day.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I'm at work and a tad busy but a few quick thoughts of what I noticed right away:

1. Polaris info on website:
http://www.polaris.com/en-us/snowmobiles/2016-axys

-Lift, you cannot say this enough, this sled gets up on the snow significantly faster than the current pro.

-Power, this new motor has it everywhere. They changed to electronic exhaust valves which gives them more precise control of when they are opening and closing. It was explained that the valves do not get their input from RPM alone. It is 3D, meaning the valves open and close based off of, throttle input, RPM, engine load, etc.

-Weight. 408 lbs total weight. They dropped even more weight and it was dropped in some important places. The rear suspension lost I think 2 lbs in the rails alone. They are stronger and stiffer. Check out the pic from their website (not the best angle but look at the back of the rails)
2016-axys-btyrear.jpg

They also lost 2.5 lbs of weight from the crank. This gets the motor spinning much quicker, helping with power and the speed at which the sled gets up on the snow.

2 lbs lost in the FORGED aluminum A-Arms. Also note they have a different spindle which is noticeably taller.

-Electronic Oil pump. All controlled 3D again, not just RPM based.

-All new Track, Series 6. 2.7" I hooked up great, help gets you up on the snow. "Lift" (yes as others pointed out it is lighter, 2lbs seems to be the number). Also, many were guessing the track width changed. It did not. 15" wide.

-Motor, V-Force Reeds, Super trick intake that is very lightweight. I can't remember the exact weight savings of the intake but it was trick. Not only was it light, but it was a direct shot into the motor. The exhaust and intake lineup better for improved efficiency. It's pretty obvious when looking at them how simplified they are.

-Grooved Piston on the exhaust side, is supposed to hold oil in the grooves to help with lubrication which should help the skirts and improve cylinder/piston life:
800-ho-engine-piston.jpg

It was great to be invited to ride the sled. Polaris did a wonderful job hosting this event. I wasn't sure of everyone that received the invite and there were two groups. Because of poor snow conditions they had to change the venue which threw a curve ball to everyone involved with travel, etc. Polaris did a full VIP treatment with food, lodging and the ride. Not the greatest snow, but that is completely out of their control. I think it shows how well this sled can handle different snow conditions and still be very predictable with rider input and the feedback you get in return. It was awesome to be able to talk with the guys/team that designed this sled. I enjoyed talking with them as much as riding it.

The two things I noticed the most are how fast it gets up on the snow and the lift you have, as well as the power of the motor. For a stock sled it had pull everywhere. The weight reduction again was welcome for it felt flickable and easy to maneuver, transition. For the guys that want to get a sled and ride it out of the box, you're set. I would say a change of the can and you are sub 400 for weight

More to come...

Last edited:

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
My wife is emphatically shouting "NO" in the background!

Thanks for your thoughts - keep 'em coming!!

Just remember, based on that Forest Service ruling that got handed down on Wednesday, find a lightweight can but a quiet one. We lost a lot this week, let's not lose any more.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Also, the Engineering team will be answering questions tonight (1-30-15), they are encouraging anyone to join in:

What: Live chat with 2016 AXYS RMK engineers
When: 6:30pm MT
Where: Twitter… #AXYSCHAT

Also, when we were on this great ride from Polaris, we rode ONE sled. They have an entire lineup. The sled we rode was the 155" AXYS RMK.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I liked the taller CG. Much less input to initiate a carve.

The gear down is VERY noticeable over the 15. VERY.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Thought I was going to pass out from holding my breath...

Finally! I can talk about this.

To my buddies who "I held out on" , it wasn't my choice, believe me. Polaris asked us not to discuss until they released.

Polaris sat us down in a room (after confiscating our phones), and gave us a presentation on the new sled, including the video that is posted above.

I'll be honest, when we were watching the video, I wasn't that impressed with the technical details. It didn't seem that much better than the Pro. I've been involved with more than my share of new motorcycle model roll outs and my BS detector is pretty well honed in the motorcycle arena---- after riding the new Axys I realized how WRONG I was about my assumption. The new Axys RMK cannot be fully appreciated in the technical details. It has to be ridden. I didn't buy the 13-15 generation Pro, I kept our mini fleet of four first generation Pros. I didn't feel the performance difference was there to justify the investment. The Axys is head and shoulders better than the Pro in the mountains.

After talking with others who were on the ride, almost all of us came to one conclusion. Time to sell the Pros to buy an Axys. Speaking of which, hey Polaris, what is the plural of Axys chassis anyway? Axyss, Axysii, or????

First impressions, and there were a LOT.

Throttle pull is light

Motor response is SNAPPY

Track hooks up well

You can feel the new exhaust valves (downhill closed throttle, it engine brakes a lot, almost four strokish-- I liked it)

New position on vents will mean I don't have to constantly wipe them off on a deep day

When I would change my line through the trees and come off the throttle and then get back in the throttle, the track would hook up and lift the skis--even in a couple feet of snow-- and just keep going forward. It is really hard to explain how much better it is.

I know that the video just looks like a lot of hype and marketing hyperbole-- I thought the same thing. UNTIL I RODE IT.

I could only think of one "negative"
It's a bit of a handful on the trail. When talking with another rider (you know who you are ) who was riding it for the first time also, he mentioned looking back on the trail ride out to see who was behind him because he was worried that they were going to think he couldn't ride. I laughed when he said that because I was thinking the same thing. After riding it in the trees, I DONT CARE AT ALL. The Axys chassis changes direction so fast, I was over- correcting on line changes. I felt like I was a half step behind the sled. This is truly a purpose built MOUNTAIN sled.

This is the sled that those of us who ride in the MOUNTAIN WEST have been asking for. It might not win the "race" down the groomer, to the goods, but I don't care. I suck at riding groomed trails anyway, my skis on my sleds don't even have carbides, just wear bars. So when the haters say, "the Axys sucks on the trail ride out..." I'll agree with them. This sled was built for OFF- Trail and this is where it shines. This is what a no-compromise mountain sled is like.

I really can't wait to get Val on one. At 5'2" 115 pounds she throws her Pros around with authority. When she gets on the new Axys, she is going to make a lot of guys look bad-- and I can't wait.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Murph, I agree, the downhill "braking" was VERY nice. It worked really well on the crusty show. And that new track hooking up, worked well on the downhill as well.

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
I know this will seem like small potatoes given all of the other changes, but any more feedback on the new GPS gauge? Heated glove box? Oil tank location? Bulkhead cooler? Temps on the trail ride an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features