• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New snowmobile rack utilizing LINQ mounts

M

Mountain_Man

Apr 17, 2014
Western Montana
I have been designing some racks, here is one model. It is fully CNC machined in house from 6061-T6 aluminum and the Ski-Doo LINQ hardware bolts right on. I wanted something that would be easy to take off and put on that would give versatility to carry various types of cargo, gas jugs, packs, Pelican cases, other specific snowmobile bags/cases, and etc.

The rack weighs about 3.55 lbs. without the LINQ hardware, and about 4.3 lbs. with the hardware. It’s more than sturdy enough to carry as much weight as the LINQ mounts and sled can.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
It has plenty of places to use straps, cord, rope, bungee cords, and etc. It is designed so the cord or bungee hooks have a place to attach to where it won't slip up and down the rails cause difficulty in the cord slipping and the load shifting. Most of the tie down places are smooth to keep from fraying straps and cords. The rack has plenty of room between it and the tunnel to hold the load up and avoid diminishing the cooling system capacity.<O:p</O:p
Plans are too make similar racks in a single version and also for the other sled brands too.<O:p</O:p
I'm planning to make them available in raw aluminum and powder coated. Price is being determined. If you have any comments and suggestions I would like to hear them.<O:p</O:p

Added 1/09/2015: Inside the side rails the dimension is 14.7" (37.38 cm) wide, length on the double rack pictured is 19.5" (495.3 cm). Overall height is 1.95" (4.953 cm) not counting the LINQ parts.

15610622864_005126f308_b.jpg

16207131536_19111622c8_b.jpg

<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

Last edited:
M

Mountain_Man

Apr 17, 2014
Western Montana
Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it. I am thinking about configuring it so the LINQ mounts can be moved to go either way;

(1) As it is pictured now or,

(2) Invert the rack for a lower support deck with higher side rails.

I will alter the side profile around the LINQ area and drill/tap another set of mounting holes. I want to make it as versatile and useful as possible while keeping it reasonably simple.

I have other projects to finish up so it will take me a few days probably to revise it, machine the parts, and come up with firm prices.

Nice looking rack, curious if it possibly could be inverted and still clear the tunnel? Height is a concern, just trying to keep a low profile, guessing, but it looks to be about an 1 1/2" above the tunnel? Having the sides to help lock in cargo would be a plus as well. Let us know what you're thinking price wise.

jorgy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Iowa
That is really neat. I would agree with others on trying to lower the profile a bit. Otherwise, nice work. Keep us posted.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
really good idea.........but when you start talking aluminum and cnc work, i can about imagine what this will cost. i would assume you have thought this through already, but just think about what the average joe is willing to pay for something like this before you spend too much money on testing and development.

also, bare aluminum seems to be fading out due to snow sticking to it so bad. you may want to figure out the prices of powder coated steel vs bare aluminum vs powder coated aluminum

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I see what you are doing with the height, if it could be turned over so there was about half inch clearance to the heat exchanger with the side rails up. Any ideas on platform diemensions?

M

Mountain_Man

Apr 17, 2014
Western Montana
Inside the side rails the dimension is 14.7" (37.38 cm) wide, length on the double rack pictured is 19.5" (495.3 cm).

I'll definitely make so the rack be flipped either way, low with high rails or high with short rails.

I see what you are doing with the height, if it could be turned over so there was about half inch clearance to the heat exchanger with the side rails up. Any ideas on platform diemensions?

Stevoreno

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2010
Park City, UT
Is it just going to be a single size? Would be cool to have one that works with a single line, so you could get the gas caddy and this on.

Regardless, definitely interested.

M

Mountain_Man

Apr 17, 2014
Western Montana
I plan to make single racks too, as I know some people want to use the Ski-Doo gas can in conjunction.

Is it just going to be a single size? Would be cool to have one that works with a single line, so you could get the gas caddy and this on.

Regardless, definitely interested.

M

Mountain_Man

Apr 17, 2014
Western Montana
After thinking about concepts of what I wanted in racks last spring I had since become aware that they were offering a nice looking rack too. I thought about abandoning my project, but in the end feel they are different enough that I have decided to move forward. I have some other plans that revolve around a system.

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307
I do like having a alternative and still using the linq system instead of drilling more random holes. This would be a good rack for when we have to carry things out in SAR

SledGuru

T
Nov 27, 2007
Eastern Washington St
Nice looking rack for sure!
I really like the LINQ system as well!

This is a little off subject but.
Here's a little something I use it for!
Only issue with them is there isent a detent to keep the lever locked! Have occasionally had them come open?

Dog kennel mount.jpg

M

Mountain_Man

Apr 17, 2014
Western Montana
I revised this so the LinQ mounts can be installed either way so the rack can be positioned to suit. Also have the single rack ready to go as well. I will machine up a couple of samples and get them powder coated. Initially will plan to do the parts in 2-3 basic colors and maybe a clear for people who like the natural aluminum "billet" look. Due to the modular design it will be possible to mix and match colors for 2-tone.

I am closing in on a price, will post that when I post finished product photos.

I used the rack for 2 or 3 rides and it does what I want, securing various cargo. It's also works good to pack a bunch of snow in when needed on trails to assist in cooling, as it allows more snow to be packed on the tunnel and retains it better as it doesn't slide right off.
16295114132_b18dec0aa0_b.jpg

Premium Features