• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MTNTK Performance New Product Release Part 2

MTNTK

Premium Member
Nov 5, 2009
Ashton, ID
mtntkperformance.com
Pictures please!! Is there easy access to the quickdrive belt? That would be the main thing holding me back from a boondocker turbo. Even if you've been having good luck with your quickdrive belt there will be a day when it needs to be replaced.

Pictures are coming! It does maintain access to the quickdrive belt, in fact it allows factory electric start also.

MTNTK

Premium Member
Nov 5, 2009
Ashton, ID
mtntkperformance.com
what would be nice to know about this bully dog kit is is it something that needs to have a fuel map applied to it and then it learns from there or is it something that basically works off your engine sensors to self correct for all conditions. getting rid of the second set of injectors would be the whole reason i would switch over.

The bully dog tuner works exactly like the stock ECU. It just re-flashes the ECU and places a new map in. In fact the tuner can be completely removed from the snowmobile after re-flash and left in the truck or at the shop. It does have the ability to read engine codes and display the parameters that the ECU reads like injector pulse width, timing, engine coolant temp, intake air temp, barometric pressure, speed, rpm, exhaust temp, etc. Although it has been waterproofed and could replace all gauges, there will be some instances where gauges should still be installed because the screen can be difficult to see in bright light conditions and it is expensive, so leaving it exposed all the time may not be to everyone's liking. Yes Hairy Mark, it allows us to use only one set of injectors. Low boost kit can run the stock injectors, and higher boost levels just have to switch out to larger injectors along with a new fuel map. A really helpful feature is the ability to send a map by email and you can install it yourself. No sending the box back for reprograming, and you can upgrade it theoretically allowing you to place it on upcoming model years.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
How much of the Polaris/Kokusan Base-Map do you have access to with the Bullydog?

From what I've heard from reliable sources... only part of the factory map has been "hacked" by Bullydog... Can you elaborate on that?

Last edited:
H

Hairy Mark

Nov 21, 2007
kettle falls
The bully dog tuner works exactly like the stock ECU. It just re-flashes the ECU and places a new map in. In fact the tuner can be completely removed from the snowmobile after re-flash and left in the truck or at the shop. It does have the ability to read engine codes and display the parameters that the ECU reads like injector pulse width, timing, engine coolant temp, intake air temp, barometric pressure, speed, rpm, exhaust temp, etc. Although it has been waterproofed and could replace all gauges, there will be some instances where gauges should still be installed because the screen can be difficult to see in bright light conditions and it is expensive, so leaving it exposed all the time may not be to everyone's liking. Yes Hairy Mark, it allows us to use only one set of injectors. Low boost kit can run the stock injectors, and higher boost levels just have to switch out to larger injectors along with a new fuel map. A really helpful feature is the ability to send a map by email and you can install it yourself. No sending the box back for reprograming, and you can upgrade it theoretically allowing you to place it on upcoming model years.

thanks for the reply. i called last week to ask a few questions about this and you guys were in a meeting. what i am really wondering is how will it know how much boost you are running. wouldn't the map be different if you were running say 8# max vs say 14# max. how will the map know how much fuel to add without a boost interface. i know it is done on the turbo diesels and it works because of the turbo already being on the pickup and you are just adding and changing the fuel numbers with equipment that is already installed on the setup. is it something that with my one off build that i am going to have to run something very close and if it is not perfect then i call and you make changes and email them to me. the reason that i ask all this is i don't want to waste your time on the phone and maybe you can answer more then my question.

is the tuner something that i can put in a bag in my backpack while riding. make a change or two to the map and download it and then put it back in the backpack. or are all changes going to have to be done with their fueling interface, meaning that you will have to make the changes and then send them to the customer?

EDIT: so i read through your response in the first thread about absolute pressure. so what your saying is that the sled doesn't care what the altitude and boost level is, it is just worrying about the BAR level in the air box. and it does this by the turbo doesn't really care what the altitude is it just makes boost until it starts to waste it. and it always provides a certain level of BAR in the box and you are changes the fuel levels based upon what the BAR level is. am i even close?

Last edited:

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
You take my Boondocker turbo, ill run your Big boost turbo and give an honest comparison. Will let people ride it and hell, Ill even throw a sticker on for yah :)

PS you should have sold me that dune sled at Jackson.

MTNTK

Premium Member
Nov 5, 2009
Ashton, ID
mtntkperformance.com
How much of the Polaris/Kokusan Base-Map do you have access to with the Bullydog?

From what I've heard from reliable sources... only part of the factory map has been "hacked" by Bullydog... Can you elaborate on that?

Bullydog "hacked" the entire ECU. There are many maps and parameters that are unnecessary to change or even use, and as such Bullydog did not make them available for your "reliable" sources to change. Bullydog does much more complicated ECU cracking on a daily basis and you can be assured they have complete control. There are well over 100 individual maps that can be modified by those persons Bullydog has allowed to use the programing language. From experience it is a daunting task to analyze and validate changes that work better. Despite what people think of Polaris calibration engineers, the stock set up is the culmination of thousands of hours of work to make it run well. Much easier to make less horsepower (or worse), than it is to make more. That being said the Bullydog ECU Tuner is without a doubt the most powerful and cost effective method (for major changes to the engine operating system) of making your snowmobile reach its full potential when in the hands of competent students of internal combustion.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
what i am really wondering is how will it know how much boost you are running. wouldn't the map be different if you were running say 8# max vs say 14# max. how will the map know how much fuel to add without a boost interface.

The factory tmap sensor is replaced with a 3 bar unit and rescaled in the ecu mapping as far as how much fuel to add at which voltage (pressure) so it doesn't have like a normal stock fuels up to 14.7 psi then the controller does boost it sees the full range so instead of "boost fuel" on the controller its just a reworked map sensor voltage vs rpm type map.

MTNTK

Premium Member
Nov 5, 2009
Ashton, ID
mtntkperformance.com
We have in the past made some sweet running 600 turbo kits, but the sales just were not strong enough to constitute building them. 600 kits were very popular in years past because the bore size and overall engine strength for its displacement made them more resistant to explosion and detonation. But since the adoption of detonation sensors on engines it has allowed the once prone to destruction 800 to be turbocharged safely. So the short answer is get an 800 and run a little less boost and it will easily out do a 600 near its max output.

B
Jan 10, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
will the bullydog ecu reflash and new injectors be compatible with any turbo kit? I already have a turbo pro but am very interested in the reflash and injectors so I can eliminate my aux injectors.
thanks

MTNTK

Premium Member
Nov 5, 2009
Ashton, ID
mtntkperformance.com
will the bullydog ecu reflash and new injectors be compatible with any turbo kit? I already have a turbo pro but am very interested in the reflash and injectors so I can eliminate my aux injectors.
thanks

Theoretically yes, but the implementation of it will be prohibitive. It will require map sensor installation ( which may or may not require a charge box) and a map designed which is the largest cost (labor) to the retrofit. It looks like a good idea now, but when you see what we have and how the new system works you will be looking to upgrade anyway. You might want to sell the kit you have before it's value goes down anymore!

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
the reason for extra injectors is simple

the stock oem injectors are only capable of allowing enough fuel for lower boost levels, then they run out of fuel delivery capability this is around 190-200HP. at lower boost levles, if you want to get ore power from your turbo sled , lets say 240-250HP, you will need xtra injectors, higher octane fuel, and higher boost. ex. 110 octane, 12-14 psi, maybe around 250HP.

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
the stock oem injectors are only capable of allowing enough fuel for lower boost levels, then they run out of fuel delivery capability this is around 190-200HP. at lower boost levles, if you want to get ore power from your turbo sled , lets say 240-250HP, you will need xtra injectors, higher octane fuel, and higher boost. ex. 110 octane, 12-14 psi, maybe around 250HP.

This is exactly why Boondocker hasn't fully jumped on board with only using the Bullydog, they will be using it to fine tune some points of the motor but without larger injectors/extra injectors 6lbs really is the max.

I think this has been said before.

It sounds like most turbo builders are using larger injectors in place of the stock ones.

I wish the companies who are selling kits with bullydog fuel controllers would expand on their fuel delivery.

Premium Features