• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Judge sides with backcountry skiers in use lawsuit

M

MNSnowCat

Apr 13, 2009
MN
BOISE, Idaho (AP) -- A federal judge in Idaho says the U.S. Forest Service broke the law when it didn't craft rules to govern snowmobile travel, handing a victory to powder-loving backcountry ski enthusiasts in national forests across the country.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Ronald Bush ruled that the Forest Service must re-visit regulations designating areas of use and non-use by off-road vehicles in a way that includes snowmobiles. Some forests opted to exempt snowmobiles when the rules were revised in 2005.

The Idaho-based Winter Wildlands Alliance argued that the agency's failure to cover the machines was leading to conflicts between snowmobilers and backcountry skiers.

Alliance director Mark Menlove says the ruling is a monumental victory.

Bush ordered the Forest Service to write a new rule consistent with the executive order within 180 days.

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Winter Wildlands Alliance has Attacked!

Alright folks, it is time to put our money and actions where our mouths are. The Winter Wildlands Alliance are folks that have more money and time than common sense. They are out to close as much country as they can so that the few of them, that might want to, can ski or walk in the back country without seeing or hearing a motorized vehicle. They will end up utilizing 1% of the acres they close up because they won't want to walk that far. They were told by the US Forest Service that they were unreasonable. They have been at the forefront of every motorized use on "PUBLIC" lands in the last several years. Remember, PUBLIC means all of us. We are being pushed out of our recreational areas by a few folks with buckets of money to hire any and all attorneys they need to persuade "our" courts to tie up the use of "our" land with lawsuits and judgements that benefit a very few. "Our" courts are to be used to protect us not make criminals out of us.
I apologize for ranting but this has gone too far. It is time for us to contact our Congressmen and local representatives and voice our opinions. I have contacted mine and I challenge you to do the same. I also challenge you to join a State or regional snowmobile, motorcycle, atv, or off-road vehicle organization. If you can afford it, donate to their legal fund. Idaho State Snowmobile Association is going to have their hands full trying to battle this, I know that.
I just purchased a new sled. I've been riding off and on for 20 years and this is my first new one. In 180 days I won't be able to give it away because no one will have any place to ride one.

Premium Features