• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HTA 2868 on a BD Apex - Thoughts

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
Ok I am a little bit of a newb on the details here but I have seen the benefits of the updated Garrett turbos with Tial housings and custom setups on cars and now on sleds first hands. I am looking at turbo upgrades for my built motor BD Apex. Lots of people talking about the various options from forced performance. Had a nice chat with the guy from Push and he said going to the 2868 was a no brainer. In theory it flows slightly more than a 3071 and I could likely just replace one side and not have to weld or mess with the vband change over. Any thoughts on this setup? Would it be silly not to get the full Tial housing and convert to v band?

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I've been thinking about a turbo upgrade for my BD too. I'm going to give the 2860 the 20 lb treatment this year and see what happens. Have you gotten rid of the BD tunnel dump yet and replaced it with a 3" dump pipe?

If I still feel like changing the turbo after this season, the new one will find it's way to the back of the motor ala Impulse kit. I wonder what kind of money I could get for my BD kit and MM seat?

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Well, I decided to do the slip joint fitting update to my old BD header with the flex bellows so while I'm in the process of doing that I might as well do the FP 2868 HTA thing. It should be here monday, I'll let you guys know what the difference is from a plain jane 2860rs. I'm hoping for a 8lb weight reduction, a little quicker spooling, and a few more ponies at the same boost levels.

Zeb, how's your FP HTA working for you? I would have liked to go to 30 series but with the BD kit there isn't much more room over there and they aren't as responsive with the header being so much longer. Didn't want to add any lag. IF I do decide to go with a Impulse header over the summer, do you think I'm leaving much on the table by using the 2868 in that location?

Oh yeah, I went with the external wastegated Tial housing on mine with a Tial QVS gate. Got some fab work ahead of me, should be fairly straight forward though.

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
I think the 2868hta is the best turbo for a snowmobile application. Any 30 series is overkill, like I said before unless your running over 25 psi all the time. I went with the 30 series because all my intake piping is made for a 4" inlet. 2868hta should flow close to what a 3071r does anyway.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
How is service going to be on a HTA turbo compared to a standard Garrett if you blow one? I assume you have to send them to FP?

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dealing with FP was a treat. ALWAYS answered the phones and were eager to help. They had to put this turbo together for me and it only took a couple of days. Great people. Other than the extra cost of the cnc'd wheel I would guess having them rebuilt will be just as easy/costly as a regular Garrett.

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
The cost of the initial turbo and the cost if you have to rebuild a hta is WAY more then a Garrett. If you have to rebuild it the only one that will touch it is fp and they charge $800 for a rebuild compared to a Garrett rebuild which is $425. Garrett dealers won't have anything to do with them.

i have been looking at the 68HTA for my 1st gen gsx, the hta flows 47lbs/min and the 2860 flows i think around 35 lbs/min. that hta is a small chassis and packs a punch. i dont know if FP is using a garrett center or not but i do know that the garrets are built a lot better than the mitsubishi turbos. engilsh racing has a 1st gen eclipse running 1050's on a 2.0 4 banger with the 68HTA :eek:

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
I hope you had them make a second set of all the needed parts for me. I am ready for mine

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LOL, all that fab work is being done by a buddy of mine, but I'm sure he could duplicate all of it when you need. Can't wait to pull the trigger!

Premium Features