• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 high country 8000 clutching, 0-3000

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
anyone have a decent (better than stock) primary and secondary set up, for the new ctec2, and team clutches? buy a kit, make your own, mds, others? ski

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
Ride in Maine, 2000-4000 ft. I used the low elevation Cat setup in my sled all last season. Switching to MDS weights, 48 degree Cat helix, 140/285 primary spring. Trying to get it all in before my trip Tuesday. Ill let you know how it goes

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
talked to Steve at MDS yesterday he stated, cat has the primary clutch shimmed different for the High Country's, and ZR sleds, that is different than the M sleds he built the new weights for the bearing fitted team primary.

he said the options are to shim the primary to M specs to run the new weight. or run the older 16-17 weights that are really aggressive that will have a higher engagement, that may lead to trenching, blowing the track at tree creeping type situations, due to higher engagement and the weight profile.

guess I will be running stock weights, need spring and helix recommendations, as I want, and need the lower engagement.

steve was awesome to talk to, very honest, upfront, and knowledgeable. Ski

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
bumping this, hoping ssi, racin station or someone in the know, can point me in the right direction of an adjustable weight, that will work with the current stock shimming on the high country, ZR platform primarys… without making them engage at an astronomical rpm.

or if someone can post part numbers for the stock weights for the new team primaries, so I can order a few sets of heavier weights.

a recommendation for a straight rate helix would be helpful as well. thank you in advance. Ski

G
Feb 6, 2011
Sweden
What do you guys think about the gearing? I have just picked up my new -19 141" coming of a -16 141", both sleds feels like a higher gearing would be great.
I just love my new sled, did a race yesterday against my brother who rides a -18 850 146" and it was really close! Only has 40km on mine so it runs a little fat

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
bumping this, hoping ssi, racin station or someone in the know, can point me in the right direction of an adjustable weight, that will work with the current stock shimming on the high country, ZR platform primarys… without making them engage at an astronomical rpm.

or if someone can post part numbers for the stock weights for the new team primaries, so I can order a few sets of heavier weights.

a recommendation for a straight rate helix would be helpful as well. thank you in advance. Ski
Talk to Kevin @ Hubs Performance; he's pretty knowledgeable. 208-221-6499.

G
Nov 24, 2008
SK, Canada
anybody try different gearing in their 2018+ High Country or M's? I had 20/49 in my '13 HC and was hoping to do something similar with the 2018+ but haven't found much info or sources for gears for the 2018+

Ridn

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2013
gearing

Gearing my 2018 XF High Country 8000 was def tricky, I wanted 22/48 gearing
so my quest began in December and ended 2 weeks ago
first of all the top gear 22T (AC PT# 3602-171) fits on the hollow top driven shaft but is not recessed in the center to allow for the snap ring to go into place, I found out after months of research and many phone calls a 19T, 20T 21T are the only top gears made for this shaft.
So I took my 22T top gear and my stock 19T gear and brought it to a machine shop in Edmonton, AB and they recessed the gear, been riding for sometime, boy its nice having some gears now!
Seems a little lazy on bottom would like the sled to slightly over rev then shift and pull it down.
More research comming up on a different helix and spring for the secondary, anyone have any ideas?

F

Fredrik

Nov 29, 2007
Try 180-240 secondary spring makes a big difference vs 155-220.

G
Feb 6, 2011
Sweden
Gearing my 2018 XF High Country 8000 was def tricky, I wanted 22/48 gearing
so my quest began in December and ended 2 weeks ago
first of all the top gear 22T (AC PT# 3602-171) fits on the hollow top driven shaft but is not recessed in the center to allow for the snap ring to go into place, I found out after months of research and many phone calls a 19T, 20T 21T are the only top gears made for this shaft.
So I took my 22T top gear and my stock 19T gear and brought it to a machine shop in Edmonton, AB and they recessed the gear, been riding for sometime, boy its nice having some gears now!
Seems a little lazy on bottom would like the sled to slightly over rev then shift and pull it down.
More research comming up on a different helix and spring for the secondary, anyone have any ideas?
I'm going for 20-49 on my XF ?

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
anyone have the correct stock gearing for the 2018 high country? my sled is 500 miles away. appears it may be 19-50 but, i cannot confirm that. would like a little less snap down low, and to be able to take off from a dead stop in the deep without trenching, or blowing the track, and have lower trail cruising rpms and a little better top end speed. we ride 0-2500 feet. probably going with tki belt drive, so looking for the sweet spot for gearing. thinking a 21-49 or 2.33 ratio set up will be the ticket. what sayeth you? thanks for the help. Ski

Last edited:
Premium Features