• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha temp too low?

skiutahcabin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2012
Timber Lakes Utah
I have 600 miles on my alpha, stock, it started flashing for temps too low, showing in the 50's and 60s! this was during deep powder riding after 2hrs or riding constantly- with the low temps it would act like it was misfiring. Had to sit and wait for it to warm up then ride a mile or so, repeat and got back to trail head.
air vents were clear. this was day 5 of really deep pow, it's been running great. coolant and all are at perfect levels- any ideas? something is stuck open is my guess, as snow on the cooler certainly lowered temp more.

Thanks!

skiutahcabin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2012
Timber Lakes Utah
t map sensor went bad

so took it in and the dealer found the T-map sensor went bad- the other diagnostic that you can use to weed this out is the elevation readings were not holding accurate, as the t-map senses barometric pressure and temp so it sent out bad data. thanks!

update: still down-
Water got into the ECU!- cooked it, the seal on the harness may be the issue- the harness may be defective

Last edited:

skiutahcabin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2012
Timber Lakes Utah
New update-

So looks like some of the Alphas may have issues with the wiring harness allowing water into the ECM and killing it. since this is water your sled may act totally crazy- one of the consistent issues may be elevation showing wrong or way off.

The issue may stem from poorly sealed harness allowing super light powder to get in, then melt and make its way down to the ECM. AC has now had a couple of these occurrences with Alpha sleds, they are replacing my entire harness and ECM to repair it, I am going to entomb it in silicone when they are done- never again.

T
It’s looking like this happened to me too. Computer acting crazy after cleaning/drying all connections and it still persists with inaccurate readings..t stat sensor was cleaner and inspected also.. Hopefully warranty pulls through.

A

akdanno

Feb 22, 2022
Alaska
Any updates on this? Seems like I am having a similar problem, about 100 miles on a 2023 alpha

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Any updates on this? Seems like I am having a similar problem, about 100 miles on a 2023 alpha
If you're getting a constant cold temp warning and sled wont warm up, best to change your thermostat. 2019 had bad thermostats that break and are stuck open. If that still doesn't fix it, disconnect all your connections and dry them. If that still doesn't work, remove the T-Map sensor and clean the oil/residue off the sensor with map sensor cleaner and dab dry with paper towel.

332180130_1253592095583140_4123358341073463466_n.jpg

A

akdanno

Feb 22, 2022
Alaska
There's water in the left side plug for the ECU. Temperature readings are everywhere between 50 and 400 degrees, elevation readings are off, no reverse, and hand warmer controls do weird stuff. I think the thermostat works because even when the temp gauge said 60 the motor felt much warmer.

IMG_20230219_105224895.jpg

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
There's water in the left side plug for the ECU. Temperature readings are everywhere between 50 and 400 degrees, elevation readings are off, no reverse, and hand warmer controls do weird stuff. I think the thermostat works because even when the temp gauge said 60 the motor felt much warmer.
Best dry every connection on the sled. Having water in the connections of the ECU is inevitably going to fry your ECU or leave you stranded. A little dielectric grease never hurts.

A

akdanno

Feb 22, 2022
Alaska
Agreed, I just wish I didn't have to go through all the wiring on a brand new sled. I hope the warranty is good for the repair, and even then I'll grease every plug. Know a guy just had the same thing happen to his Polaris boost, this shouldn't still be a problem in 2023

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Just a FYI-
If you happen to order a thermostat- get one for the 2020 and up models- Same thermostat but way cheaper-and the gasket is still the same unreasonable price.

A

akdanno

Feb 22, 2022
Alaska
Mine is a 23, I wouldn't order an older part for it without a good reason. But that's good to know, SC.

UPDATE: I went through every plug on the sled, dried them out and packed dielectric grease in them. The plug for the coolant temp sensor up under the servo motor was literally full of water, like someone had filled it with a cup. Multiple other plugs were the same. Seems to have fixed the problem!

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Mine is a 23, I wouldn't order an older part for it without a good reason. But that's good to know, SC.

UPDATE: I went through every plug on the sled, dried them out and packed dielectric grease in them. The plug for the coolant temp sensor up under the servo motor was literally full of water, like someone had filled it with a cup. Multiple other plugs were the same. Seems to have fixed the problem!
While you have it in the shop, go to your handlebar harness as well. It's by the coolant bottle, unplug everything in there and dielectric it as well. Then on top of your fuel tank, do your fuel pump harness. My killswitch was full of water like you described. And the fuel pump harness isn't even water tight. So i had a couple days where it wouldn't want to start, wouldn't fire, nothing. One was the fuel pump wouldn't run because of corrosion. And the other couple times is the kill switch plug was shorting out and it thought the kill switch is depressed.

Make sure all your plugs are inside and are horizontal in the heat shield wrap. And kind of vertical mounting will somehow let the water get into the connections.

A

akdanno

Feb 22, 2022
Alaska
Yessir, did all that. Literally every plug on the machine I could find, even the back up alarm

Premium Features