• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Project: Function and Form, IQR mountain build

StolenNolan

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2014
Minot ND
My new member intro: http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381669

Hey everyone, I'll try my hand at this build thread thing! I bought my dream sled last year (so I thought :twitch: ). The sled looked okay in pictures and I only seen a few things I wanted to change until I got my hands on it. Then all hell broke loose. I know many of you have seen this sled and several of you have owned it. It was a great concept and probably was originally a very nice build. But someone just "let it go" and that's when I got it. Broken motor mounts and torque damper, no oil in chain case due to stripped bolts, the ez ryde was falling apart, the plastics were butchered, the tunnel was Swiss cheese, steering post was bent, fuel system had a breech which wouldn't allow it to start for about 8 pulls. And many other small things I have ran into. So I decided to take on another full build since it's been a few years.
It was however a good start, it had a 700cfi turbo, and an ez ryde and I scored some new plastics cheap. So I put all the plastics on and did some work on the fuel system and took off the bov, that's when I found the broken motor mounts on the maiden voyage. So I proceeded to tear her down.
First picture is the sled when I bought it. I have since decided to do a full build that will turn heads (since I own a powder coating company) and perform in the trees and deep pow. I have some more pictures and details of progress coming soon.

image.jpg

Last edited:

StolenNolan

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2014
Minot ND
So since the fuel system is faulty somewhere I wanted to put all new on from a donor dragon I have. So I decided to do the fuel tank and the fuel pump system which made me think the tunnel would be nice for the mounting system and the seat. So I tore it down to bulkhead. Also I didn't want the super wide stance for side hilling so I'm going to put the iq a arms on as well. More to come

image.jpg

StolenNolan

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2014
Minot ND
Decided to shed some more weight up front. Fox claims up to 6lbs lighter than traditional coil spring front suspension

image.jpg

StolenNolan

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2014
Minot ND
The hood was black and had about 7 layers of paints and primers on it that was causing it to flake and crack. Stared sanding her down

image.jpg

R
Nov 29, 2007
I would be one of those former owners its sad to see how bad its gotten since its changed hands but i'm glad to see you're bringing her back to life good luck ill be following this build for sure!

167135_128796250522252_54869_n.jpg

StolenNolan

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2014
Minot ND
I would be one of those former owners its sad to see how bad its gotten since its changed hands but i'm glad to see you're bringing her back to life good luck ill be following this build for sure!

Thank you! It's going to be fun!

StolenNolan

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2014
Minot ND
Got the tunnel riveted to the bulkhead and the front suspension temporarily mounted. Had to do some clearance work for the shocks to fit. new steering post as well. Sled is going to have custom foot boards made this week. Then ill finish tearing down to bear bulkhead and tunnel for powder coat. I ordered powder Monday. Figured I saved roughly 20lbs up front already.

1609933_956264651053877_7959416958246047375_n.jpg 10659291_956264554387220_7669364167193229920_n.jpg

Last edited:

StolenNolan

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2014
Minot ND
I did these last night for the local exhaust shop. I might do something like this on my tunnel. This is white over stainless

image.jpg

StolenNolan

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2014
Minot ND
No, I've been super busy running my Powdercoat business. I'm hoping to har my running boards done soon though!

StolenNolan

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 20, 2014
Minot ND
Welp. 4 years later, I figured I'd pick up where I left off. First major hurdle, fuel tank. The dragon tank does not fit and I do not want to run the IQR tank/seat.

I'm currently in the middle of building and aluminum one. Now I need to figure out how to post pictures again

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin
Welcome back to the build. We should start a club and call it the someday I will finish this build club. I have a build on this forum that is in a pile in the garage that I will finish someday, as it is now almost becoming an item on my bucket list. Just too much life and other things that keep getting in the way of getting back to it and finishing it. The good thing is it is fall and the colder weather keeps tugging at me to get back at it so it can be ready when the snow fly's.
Keep picking away at it and it will get done.

Premium Features