• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help turbo apex

R
Jan 4, 2009
If i get into the throttle real slow about 2800 rpm the sled will start to studder and choke when i let off it will i idle down and studder and die but if i give it a bunch of throttle it will pull through it. Also when i climb with it the mid range is real crappy studdering and falling on its face when i let of the gas and try and get back into it. I check all the little things i think but it sounds like it is running fat but my aem o2 gauge says 14.1-14.8. Can someone please help. It is a boondocker kit built buy outlaw motorsports. I have called pure logic and outlaw but cant seem to figure it out.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
If i get into the throttle real slow about 2800 rpm the sled will start to studder and choke when i let off it will i idle down and studder and die but if i give it a bunch of throttle it will pull through it. Also when i climb with it the mid range is real crappy studdering and falling on its face when i let of the gas and try and get back into it. I check all the little things i think but it sounds like it is running fat but my aem o2 gauge says 14.1-14.8. Can someone please help. It is a boondocker kit built buy outlaw motorsports. I have called pure logic and outlaw but cant seem to figure it out.

It is running lean, add fuel in the bottom to midrange. Lean fart :face-icon-small-con

M

Menace1

Oct 23, 2008
Calgary
Fuel

Listen to what the guage reads, try adding some fuel, if that doesnt work maybe look into getting another fuel controller, those things can be finicky. Also check all you injector connectors.

S

SpokaneRMK

Oct 29, 2004
Spokane, WA
Is your a/f gauge working, when the sensor goes out it'll read a steady mid 14's, sounds like you have to much fuel to me.

A

APEXMT

Nov 27, 2007
Check your throttle positions sensor. just fought for a week with mine. sounds similar. you can check it right on the yamaha display.

R
Jan 4, 2009
I changed my plugs before i went out today and checked for all over for boost leaks. How do i check my throttle position sensor? I went out for a bit today and messed around with the pl box and got it down to the low thirteens but i almost have my midrange yellow stepped out any suggestions on where the settings should b. I was told only to adjust green, yellow, red, and green with blue. seem like i got it a little better. the only thing i have changed on the sled since i got it is i went with a grate with a prefilter on it instead of a kn filter because it kept icing up. Thanks for your guys help. Anything else is appreciated.

A

APEXMT

Nov 27, 2007
tps sensor test
first disconnect your controller and hook up to stock.
now press and hold the reset and select and turn on the key, keep holding for about 8 secs till d1 comes on, then press reset and select again for about 4 secs, then do1 will appear.
in the lower window will be the tps numbers
at no throttle should be at 15-18 and full throttle should be 95-100

mine was 102 at no throttle and 118 at full throttle. sled would idle with the box unplugged but was rich, soon as you hooked up the gems it would go super rich and would not idle.

R
Jan 4, 2009
thanks am going to check the tps been working to much lately. Does anyone have any ideas or what they have already done to improve breathability on the boondocker kit i put a cage with prefilter material around it but it stil fills up with ice and can't breathe should it be up further in the air?

S
Oct 15, 2008
Bozeman-MT
I extended my snorkel's about a foot and they work much better in powder.

I would change plugs regardless of how they look. Test for boost leaks, and check the TPS.

Once you know all these are right put tape over the O2 sensor so you can't see it and go ride the sled. Add fuel in each range until it gets noticeably better or worse. This will tell you if your rich or lean and it may be different from low to high. Give the sled what ever it wants for fuel to run clean from idle to full throttle. I hear guys on the mountain all the time popping and banging. They won't change fuel because they were told to set it here or there, or they're tuning to their O2 sensor. I never trust my O2 sensor. I trust my motor when it's running smooth and clean regardless what the O2 sensor says. Nothing ever makes sense with a turbo. All I know is my motor is safest when it's running smooth and clean. I have not put an O2 sensor on my last 3 sleds. Learn to tune from sound and feel. Until you figure this out always add fuel to solve your problem until you know your to rich, then start backing it out until you get it where the motor wants it. IMO

Premium Features