• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 apex with MPI supercharger any good? How's the chassis in the trees?

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
I'm running 12 lbs for now at 1800 ft elevation. I use around 10% race fuel and the rest 91 octane. Just a bit of a safety factor and 10% isn't a hell of a lot to keep around.

10 HP per lb of boost is theoretical. No sled will actually do it, especially at higher elevations.

Believe or not most of the time my 162" is trail ridden unless I can get to the mountains. I don't mind the track length and when you have boost it's nice to have the added traction.

If there are updates already done on the intercooler than hopefully it already has a blow off v/, AIS tubes and possibly even tabs welded on to strap it down so it doesn't pop off the boots.

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
Great vid man. How do these things work on the side in a steep hill, just crawling through the trees? One leg beside beside the sled kinda paddling along just creeping through the trees? I do lots of that when we can find a hill. It's rare that we find a nice hill with good snow around here, so when we do, it doesn't matter how tight the trees are, if it's five or six feet we'll try sidehilling through there. lol Very slow but but we will try and put the sled there. Is this a sled you can keep on it's side a super slow speeds crawling along? Very often totally stopping? It's rare that I ride those kind of trees, but we did all day last weekend and it wont be the last time now that we know where it is. lol I know nothing can replace riding the sled to find out, but one ride in a field tells you very little about how it will do on the hills in the trees.

Ok right on, I would be starting off with the boost as low as possible. Lets assume it's a stage two, how low can a guy bring the boost? This is my first time getting into SC's or turbos. Always been really interested, but have no first hand experience with them yet. With a super charger do you have to change the pulley to change boost at all? Or can you drop it with out having to play with pulleys?

They work okay at low speeds on their sides, one advantage of the S/C and boost in general is once you hit the gas track speeds come up quick and can help you get out of a tight spot. That can also put you in one too.

12 lbs is as low as you can reliably run the Stage 2 from what I've researched. You have to swap pulleys to change your boost although there is a new setup from MPI that you can pulley up for max boost but somehow lower it when required. Don't remember how it works but you can always call them or flip them an email.

One thing about the GEMS fuel controller, when it works, it usually works good, but when it doesn't it sucks big time. Keep all moisture out and seal it up and possibly even bring a spare if you are going out of town.

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
Alright well I gave him a call. It's got a stage one on it, head shim, and aftermarket head studs, I didn't catch what brand. At 10-12 pounds boost He was saying 270 HP, 10 HP for every pound of boost. Sounded high so I checked and at his current boost #'s he would be closer to about 220. That sounds about right for a stage one kit. Under tunnel exhaust, mountain mod seat, didn't get to talk long so not sure what it has for other mods, like track and suspension, but I'll find out once I see pics I guess.

Sorry man, didn't catch that it was a Stage 1. That's funny he would quote you that much HP, he definitely knows better than that.
12 lbs is awesome, you will have to try it out and see.
That's nice it's got the undertunnel and Boss seat. Keep us posted.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Good info thanks man. He said it had all the updates that MPI had requested be done, including the BOV and the AIS tubes as well I believe. Said it cost him about 2g to get the updates. Yeah I have been reading some interesting stuff on the gems controller, doesn't sound like much fun. But If it doesn't work for me I would I guess wire in something that does. Yeah that's what I was thinking, a big plus forsure to have some of the better extras already done.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
He just sent me a text. Turns out he sold it out from under me. So I guess that's the end of that. Thanks for the advice guys.

Premium Features