• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ZX- Top end rebuild

X
Dec 1, 2007
NW Iowa
Going to do a top end "freshen up" on my 2000 MXZ 700 since I just dumped some money into long tracking it(156 Camo Extreme). I want to make sure it will hold on another season or two before upgrading. Has about 3500 miles and was wondering the following:

1. What should I look for while I have it apart?
2. Do I just need to do the pistons and rings- what else must be replaced while apart?
3. Do I hone the nicasil plated cylinders so the rings get "seated" well? If so, what do I use to not damage the nicasil? Does this need to be done by a shop or can a "do-it-yourselfer" get it?
4. I've seen/heard rumblings that the crank seals often go bad on this motor, any quick and easy way to check that out?

I've had this sled since birth and have done the typical maintenence items. However, I've noticed the power/compression declining for the last couple seasons. Any help you can offer is much appreciated!

Is it a budget build? you MIGHT look into either Big Johns or RKT's kits. By the time you get done with most of the little petty crap, you could have invensted in a mod motor for about the same price! Usually around then on the miles the cylinders need to be plated. While it's apart have the crank seals checked and the crank looked over aswell.

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
correct me if im wrong buttt the 700 uses a sleeved cylinder does it not? its not coated as far as i know. for my 600 they just bore it out no coatings. the 800s are nikasiled.

X
Dec 1, 2007
NW Iowa
Thanks for the info guys.:beer; I have SPI moly coated pistons and rings on the way. I did verify the cylinders are nicasil coated. Any thoughts on honing the cylinders prior to re-assembly or leave it alone? Also, how does one go about checking the crank and crank seals? Will there be obvious defects if any?

J

jbsumbc

Oct 26, 2008
Tumbler ridge b.c. Canada
I would say if you want a reliable sled, I would do top end, and bottom crank! Yes renikesile by a pro, I had a 800 motor turned to a 830 motor done for me for $4000 canadian, by Terra Alpps, everything done to the motor for that Upper, Lower, port, and polish. All I can say is if you want your motor done right, you better get it done now!!! I sent mine off in October, and never seen it till Febuary!
Cheers, and good luck!
Any questions feel free to ask!

K
Sep 21, 2001
You'll do just fine with the SPI's. They are better than the stock pistons. I have an extra set for a 700 twin if anybody needs them, they are brand new.

O

olymon

Hell I'll sell you a set of 00 700 cylinders that have intake tracts opened up quite a bit. No porting done to the actual size of the port windows. $300 shipped. parting out the sled and the cylinders are just sitting on the bench. I have pics I can send if you're curious.

Premium Features