• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 RPM hangs

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
There's definitely a change after 10 hours but one of my 850's seems crisp when you let off the throttle and the other one takes forever to come down off throttle. Like to the point I have to grab the brake cause I'm not slowing down quickly enough. I know of 3 other people here locally with similar symptoms.

Im having the same issue once throttle is let off, it stays at a higher idle for a second or so, gotta be ready on the brake.

D
Nov 29, 2007
Im having the same issue once throttle is let off, it stays at a higher idle for a second or so, gotta be ready on the brake.

Hello

We inspected same behavior over here in Finland. We are mostly riding on sea level and currently lack of snow forces to ride just break-in trail riding and wait for more snow. This issue is probably not so visible in the mountains and on deep snow.
Anyway, I did ask few of my friends about this hanging idle/throttle behavior and already have 10 sleds acting the same way. Using non eth setting this is clear issue, eth setting might be running bit richer and issue is not seen. Throttle is not sticking. I also tore whole thing down to see if there is something wrong on throttle bodies/cable but no, everything is ok.

This has to be software related issue. Probably Lack of gasoline when letting throttle to idle mode causes high idle (just like carb motors rises idle rpm if you have forgot to put fuel switch on and float bowls starts to run out of fuel).

So please everyone having same issue tell your dealers/Polaris about it. Hopefully Polaris will address this issue as well and act soon. It can cause accidents if rpms hang on the wrong place.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Most of us having the issue seams to be at lower elevation, but we have some that are not having the issue so not really sure. I myself also checked for leaks and had none. Also if it was an air leak would always be there and the idle would not come back down. The 850 TB plates have a hole in them unlike the 800 that would just hold them open slightly for idle. This could be the change we are seeing as they are just taking some extra time to come down. It has worried me at times but we shall see moving forward!

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Bumping this thread, has anyone found out more about the RPM hanging and taking forever to come down? It seems intermittent but when it's bad I have to grab the brake quickly because I'm not slowly down like I should be.

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Mine does it flatland riding around home at 2200 ft. 16 hrs. Interested to see what happens when it’s fully out of break-in mode.

sledneck322

Premium Member
Sep 26, 2013
ADK's
Same thing here. Acts as if there is snow/ice in the throttle block, but that is not the case . Thought it may have been clutch related but I am properly clutched for my elevation.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Another thing I just noticed, is my other 850 I rode yesterday doesn't seem to suffer the same problem. So I'm more inclined to think there is an issue vs just how things will be with this sled.

S
Oct 7, 2013
My sled has been doing that since day one. I have about a month on my sled 250 miles, 13 hours. It's dangerous when I am creeping in the trees and give the throttle a little burp. RPMs hang at exactly 4200 for 5 seconds and the sled ghost rides. As others have stated, if I don't have my hand on the brake, I'd be crashing into trees.

I asked my dealer about it and he said he hasn't heard anything from Polaris. I hope the techs at Polaris see this and correct it, or I'll be selling and going back to the 800 RMK. I ride in Maine and we aren't ripping up canyons so an 800 has always been just fine for boondocking out here. 0-3000 foot elevation.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Too funny....a bog when you pin it and a delayed rev down when you let off the gas. Suppose they are related?

Mine has it too but more than manageable. It's maybe 1/2 a second max and it is a bump at just above idle.

I think it's break-in related....maybe to avoid fouling plugs.... who knows....time will tell.

Maybe break-in is really longer than Polaris is letting on :eyebrows:

OTM

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I thought it was just me coming off a 13 and not use to the light throttle. 3 others rode my sled yesterday and confirmed, mines hanging around 5000 for a half second or so. More noticeable for sure on a packed trail. Hopefully the new map fixes it.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Way out of break-in and it's still doing it. Last ride was trail riding at 50KMH for maybe 40 kilometers. -6C so not cold and didn't do it right away. Seems to happen after riding for a while.

Going in for the flash this week to see what it fixes.

OTM

D
Dec 2, 2012
Quahog
Of course the dealer does not know any thing about the new tune as my sled is there and told them I want it done. They have just about had it for a week now. The more time I don't have it is the less miles I rack up and the better for them I guess. They seem to despise warranty work and pray the 4 years is up tomorrow.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Saw on the Facebook machine that a couple of people solved this by some lock de-icer or we-40 in the throttle cable from the throttle block side. Sounded to me like they are thinking a run of throttle cables didn’t get enough lube from the factory or got some moisture in the jacketing.

Makes sense as mine defiantly happens more later in the day always, but won’t get another ride to prove it out before getting the reflash. I’ll do one at a time just to be sure of what solves it but may be worth a try.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Let us know when you find this out. My one sled that didn't have an issue with this now is boosted and it's worse than the 850 that was doing it all along haha.

Premium Features