• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Speedwerx supercharger install pics.

K

Kyle91rs

Jan 23, 2011
Fort mcmurray Alberta
Can someone share as many installation pics as possible please? I'm going wayy out on a limb here, been tossing the idea of building something completely different that no one else has ever done. Im in the process of acquiring motor mounts to drop a 1000 cc engine into my proclimb. Now I'm wondering how a supercharger bolts on, and if I could mate it to a 1000 bottom end. In the end, it'll be a m1200 supercharged proclimb, 5-6psi range
belt driven tki or c3
stm, tapp, or ftx p85 primary, team secondary,
Belanger trackshaft
3" 153 to start, possibly bigger later
independent water to air intercooler custom made
custom air intake
bdx throttle bodies or equivalent
Bdx oil delete
Would lean towards a vipec ecu to tune the engine

Am I missing anythin here? Someone talk some sense into me!

K

Kyle91rs

Jan 23, 2011
Fort mcmurray Alberta
Won't coat that much. I'll regenerate most of my spendings by parting out a donor m1000 and a bunch of proclimb stuff. This won't happen overnight. I want to do the 1200 swap first, make it reliable, then look at adding a supercharger in the off season. And just because no ones done it before makes me want to do it more. I have my boondocker pro to use as a main sled, this would be a little side project.

tundramonkey

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
MN
Do a search for supercharger build or look for threads I have started. You should find what your looking for.

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
Man, Kyle I was just talking about how cool a m1200 on a supercharger would be. Keep me in the loop..

R
Dec 22, 2007
Alberta
Can someone share as many installation pics as possible please? I'm going wayy out on a limb here, been tossing the idea of building something completely different that no one else has ever done. Im in the process of acquiring motor mounts to drop a 1000 cc engine into my proclimb. Now I'm wondering how a supercharger bolts on, and if I could mate it to a 1000 bottom end. In the end, it'll be a m1200 supercharged proclimb, 5-6psi range
belt driven tki or c3
stm, tapp, or ftx p85 primary, team secondary,
Belanger trackshaft
3" 153 to start, possibly bigger later
independent water to air intercooler custom made
custom air intake
bdx throttle bodies or equivalent
Bdx oil delete
Would lean towards a vipec ecu to tune the engine

Am I missing anythin here? Someone talk some sense into me!
I have a vipec for a 14 m8 that i dont think im going to use on my boondocker kit im installing.

K

Kyle91rs

Jan 23, 2011
Fort mcmurray Alberta
Man, Kyle I was just talking about how cool a m1200 on a supercharger would be. Keep me in the loop..

RIGHT?!? lol
I can't believe no ones tried it. From what I can tell, it should bolt right up. The mag side of the 1000 block bolts up to the 800 motor mounts, if the cases are relatively in the same position, the speedwerx pulley should adapt to the 1000. Only way to know is to try I guess. This isn't gonna happen overnight tho. I'm currently in talks with a few people about motor mounts. Really don't want to build my own lol. I need to sell my 800 engine to help fund the build tho. Only has 85 miles on the entire thing so if anyone needs an engine hit me up! Haven't listed it yet cuz it's still in the sled.

S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Just spent a fair amount of time on a 156x3" Supercharger. You might really wanna re-think that track size if riding in the mountains.
The power comes on so strong it's hard to get a good run at anything in boondocking conditions. The track just spins so easy off engagement and trenches to china town. I would definitely recommend a 174' no matter what. This was on a stock skid and could have been setup, I was not impressed with that version of Camo Extreme with the smooth paddles compared to my old style 174x3" on my TM8 and TM1200 sleds.

This would be impressive, but from experience, you would need a 55gal drum in tow for fuel. I never seen a sled burn fuel faster than that Speedwerx Supercharger on a stock ProClimb. Now your adding the big bore factor and M1000 into the mix, she's gonna be a thirsty one!

I have an M1200T and it's an amazing sled. I couldn't see ever wanting it supercharged over how that sled works from top to bottom.
I contemplated swapping out or trading my OVS Tial Turbo on my TM8 for one but just can't justify the fuel consumption due to always being on boost. I'm always coming back on fumes as is... Propane has been pretty even to my sled on straight AV.

It does however work much better around Fort McMurray than my turbo does. I was very impressed by that!

In the end I think I am going to stick with my Turbo's and just add a big bore kit to the M8. It's like the best of both worlds and surprisingly good on fuel too, especially in comparison to the supercharger.

My next sled was going to be a big bore supercharger, I'll leave that up to others now. I pretty much let go of the supercharger idea entirely now after running out of fuel down a drainage struggling to get the 156x3" track to hook up. My stock 163x2.5" ski-doo ended up climbing out much easier as a result, same with a stock 174x2.5" ProRMK.

Those chargers are retarded down low and need all the track they can get! They are like a 4 Stroke 800 with all the torque and bottom end power that Charger provides.

Last edited:

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Just spent a fair amount of time on a 156x3" Supercharger. You might really wanna re-think that track size if riding in the mountains.
The power comes on so strong it's hard to get a good run at anything in boondocking conditions. The track just spins so easy off engagement and trenches to china town. I would definitely recommend a 174' no matter what. This was on a stock skid and could have been setup, I was not impressed with that version of Camo Extreme with the smooth paddles compared to my old style 174x3" on my TM8 and TM1200 sleds.

This would be impressive, but from experience, you would need a 55gal drum in tow for fuel. I never seen a sled burn fuel faster than that Speedwerx Supercharger on a stock ProClimb. Now your adding the big bore factor and M1000 into the mix, she's gonna be a thirsty one!

I have an M1200T and it's an amazing sled. I couldn't see ever wanting it supercharged over how that sled works from top to bottom.
I contemplated swapping out or trading my OVS Tial Turbo on my TM8 for one but just can't justify the fuel consumption due to always being on boost. I'm always coming back on fumes as is... Propane has been pretty even to my sled on straight AV.

It does however work much better around Fort McMurray than my turbo does. I was very impressed by that!

In the end I think I am going to stick with my Turbo's and just add a big bore kit to the M8. It's like the best of both worlds and surprisingly good on fuel too, especially in comparison to the supercharger.

My next sled was going to be a big bore supercharger, I'll leave that up to others now. I pretty much let go of the supercharger idea entirely now after running out of fuel down a drainage struggling to get the 156x3" track to hook up. My stock 163x2.5" ski-doo ended up climbing out much easier as a result, same with a stock 174x2.5" ProRMK.

Those chargers are retarded down low and need all the track they can get! They are like a 4 Stroke 800 with all the torque and bottom end power that Charger provides.

Sounds like a suspension setup problem... Seems like backwards thinking to me if you light the track up that fast why wouldn't you be popping up on top that much faster? Track speed is what gets you up on the snow. A 156x3 is gonna need setup to keep it from wheelieing and trenching out with a stock sled let alone with the added power.
The way you talk about the bottom end makes me want a SC even more except for the fuel consumption of course. That sucks they take that much more fuel.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My buddy has one on a pro and they are hard on fuel. Never had any deep powder days after it was installed. Can't imagine how much fuel it would go through then. His is on a 155 and in some conditions it is hard to use all of the power. He needs arc or a different suspension. They are without a doubt the funnest sled in the trees. That review is fairly on par other than a 174. I would rather keep a 155 and work the suspensions over. We may put my timbers led under it.

S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta
I agree it needs a new skid. The owner had made adjustments to the skid and had the limiter straps at tightest setting so yeah naturally it wasn't set ideal.
It appeared that it had no issue transferring the weight. He had the Ice Age Pro-Motion rear linkage and Skinz Front A-Arm setup. This did not really work well in my opinion for the sled, it was all over the place when it did finally hook up.
The snow was really unique, sugar like on top, and slimey slippery below when half packed. It really felt like most tracks wouldn't have had a chance. Half of our steps would be in a sinkhole up to our waists with not much of a solid base anywhere until you filled in the holes and packed it down.
There was no way around the fuel consumption of the Supercharger. This will come evident the more people use them. An ultimate weapon on the drag track, in competition of anykind no doubt where fuel consumption isn't much of concern.
We all know how much a pain in the arse it would be to drag around two extra 3.5 gallon cans instead of gear on the tunnel on the deep days or long trips... Get expensive too! Even on pump which this sled ran flawlessly on too I might add! Just was a bit rich on starts until cleaned up with minute amounts of throttle. Simply loading up a bit at idle, easy to clean that out.
Even another boosted member in our riding group mentioned he is done with his 156" and wanting more track. He is on a Racer's Edge skid... Just hard to come around a tree on the boost and not trench out at low speeds with the 156x3".
Attached is a pic of a drainage we didn't think we were going to have much problems climbing out of until we found out the hard way. Sled in the pic is my 163x2.5" XM. Really doesn't look that bad, but there wasn't much room to move around especially when the boost came on. Very low margin for error in picking your lines. We were almost out near the top in this pic. We made it out just after dark, we were in there for a good 5-6hrs trying to get out. Mostly because of the Supercharged 156x3" sled.

photo (2).jpg

S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Sounds like a suspension setup problem... Seems like backwards thinking to me if you light the track up that fast why wouldn't you be popping up on top that much faster? Track speed is what gets you up on the snow. A 156x3 is gonna need setup to keep it from wheelieing and trenching out with a stock sled let alone with the added power.
The way you talk about the bottom end makes me want a SC even more except for the fuel consumption of course. That sucks they take that much more fuel.

Your right to a certain extent. Note how I said it seemed to work good once under speed in a hillclimb? But getting going it just wanted to dig down to china town... It was brutal, there was no "ramping" it up onto plane. The area we were in was just too tight, snow too slippery and the short runs to the hills too close.
When we were running at a hill above 15MPH this sled felt great. Every other time especially on the trail it would spin and not wheelie over obstacles including moguls and whoops. I stood a better chance on my XM lifting the front end up. I just don't like those tracks, we had another ProClimb with the 153x2.6" Powerclaw and that felt way better off the bottom end for traction. It was definitely a Powerclaw situation, on a soft deep day of normal pow, yeah I would hope the 156x3" would do it's job better. LOL

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Your right to a certain extent. Note how I said it seemed to work good once under speed in a hillclimb? But getting going it just wanted to dig down to china town... It was brutal, there was no "ramping" it up onto plane. The area we were in was just too tight, snow too slippery and the short runs to the hills too close.
When we were running at a hill above 15MPH this sled felt great. Every other time especially on the trail it would spin and not wheelie over obstacles including moguls and whoops. I stood a better chance on my XM lifting the front end up. I just don't like those tracks, we had another ProClimb with the 153x2.6" Powerclaw and that felt way better off the bottom end for traction. It was definitely a Powerclaw situation, on a soft deep day of normal pow, yeah I would hope the 156x3" would do it's job better. LOL

Huh, yeah maybe the 3" wasn't working in that snow condition that day, maybe the 3" is just too much for a 153" with big power? But honestly sounds like the whole sled has setup issues. With that particular sled Im guessing the Pro motion does nothing but make matters worse, making it even harder to control. I bet with the right shock tune or revalving and a ARC it would be a blast, or a Kmod.

What I find with my turbo is when stopped or going real slow through the trees and you come to a spot where you need to pin it and get going real quick the sled will spin the track slow at first causing it to trench way down and then turbo comes on and and lights the track up but by that time your trenched in and now the turbo has to over come it with track speed and pop it back out. By the time you get back on top its to late sometimes. This is in really tight CO trees though. This scenario is really evident when you stuck and somebody gives you a ski tug by the time the track speed is up your buddy is already done pulling, usually the turbo will get ya back out though. I just wish I had that quick off idle power to pop it up on top right away.

S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Huh, yeah maybe the 3" wasn't working in that snow condition that day, maybe the 3" is just too much for a 153" with big power? But honestly sounds like the whole sled has setup issues. With that particular sled Im guessing the Pro motion does nothing but make matters worse, making it even harder to control. I bet with the right shock tune or revalving and a ARC it would be a blast, or a Kmod.

What I find with my turbo is when stopped or going real slow through the trees and you come to a spot where you need to pin it and get going real quick the sled will spin the track slow at first causing it to trench way down and then turbo comes on and and lights the track up but by that time your trenched in and now the turbo has to over come it with track speed and pop it back out. By the time you get back on top its to late sometimes. This is in really tight CO trees though. This scenario is really evident when you stuck and somebody gives you a ski tug by the time the track speed is up your buddy is already done pulling, usually the turbo will get ya back out though. I just wish I had that quick off idle power to pop it up on top right away.

Your on it Iceman! Your starting to pick up the issues I was having. We had two guys doing the ski tug deal like 2-3ft at a time and the track would just drop shortly after engagement. It just couldn't get on the power without blowing through the surface right after engagement.
What I have found with this deal that works really well and much better to get on top of the snow with my TM8 is lower gearing in the DD. I can walk my 174x3" TM8 out of the trailer with ease in reverse, forward, or creep through 1ft of fresh snow in the yard with ease without breaking that track loose on engagement everytime.
This is exemplified and carried through on the mountain and honestly have maybe only gotten stuck twice on this machine as a result, it works freakishly good that even when I was stuck it didn't take much to creep on right out without having to dig out again and again.
So gear down to 70MPH top speed IMO and lower your clutch engagement as low as possible too! Magic recipe for the mountains and tons of power and speed for the big pulls too! Every time I think it's too low, I do a technical line and it proves to me the setup is right on the money.

Now like you said, I don't lay soul blame on the track, but it should hook up and wheelie like mad with that kind of bottom end power irregardless of how much weight (250lbs) I threw back on the track pulling up on the bars. You can always feel the hook up and tug factor from the bars as well on most machines and this sled just doesn't have that and feels like your spinning and slipping track no matter what. I love to wheelie and typically pull so hard that I pull bars back like mad with my weight all the time especially on XM steering post setups.

This is the X3 track version it was running in 156x3". I don't like the smooth paddles. My TM8 has the more aggressive version with the nubs on the paddles...

ee4b2b35-75d6-45a1-a7e6-09adfb4e04ef.jpg

S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Just wanted to add as well guys for more info, that Supercharger is amazing in a way if you could ever turn your 800 2 stroke motor into a 4 stroke feel for torque, this is how your going to do it!
It works so good you can have your belt deflection way off and still torque onto engagement without burning the belt bad.
We were towing back my 174x3" TM8 that ran out of fuel with the 156x3" Supercharger on the Proclimb, and started spinning out on some ice and having a hard time dragging the old beast. I hopped on the tow sled with my buddy and with one of us on each rail for some extra weight on the track I simply could crawl on the throttle and just torque our way along controlling track spin with ease. Didn't have to rev it up and very fine throttle control like a 4 stroke would have on the bottom end. This really impressed me into wanting one real bad.
I just can't justify the fuel consumption, it would be neat if someone could figure out a way to clutch the supercharger and have the map adjust accordingly to boost pressure so you could engage or disengage the supercharger pulley at will since it is belt driven anyhow.
At this point I think a big bore kit with turbo would be lighter and best powerband and fuel consumption like my TM1200.
I do think it would be sweet as hell a Compound supercharger/turbo setup on an 800 but would sure add a lot of weight to a machine that you want as slim as possible...

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Funny everyone talking about supercharger fuel consumption. We are running two and have 4 customers with them and have never had an issue running out. I have done multiple 50 mile deep powder days, and never put in more than eight gallons or so.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
A couple skid (kmod) makes a 153 more controllable and usable than a 174.

The biggest issue with superchargers is not creating enough pipe back pressure, after so much boost it starts to blow the fuel through.

From what I've heard they are hard to start and a 1000 with charger would be real interesting.

With a 1200 you already have massive bottom end so using a charger over a turbo is pointless, the turbo so had been perfected and you have more ability to turn it up.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
A couple skid (kmod) makes a 153 more controllable and usable than a 174.

The biggest issue with superchargers is not creating enough pipe back pressure, after so much boost it starts to blow the fuel through.

From what I've heard they are hard to start and a 1000 with charger would be real interesting.

With a 1200 you already have massive bottom end so using a charger over a turbo is pointless, the turbo so had been perfected and you have more ability to turn it up.

What do you mean by "blow the fuel through"?... Are we still in denial that the SC's won't make big power after it won the Jackson hole dash for cash last year and dominated the X Games "drag race" as I like to call it, because the first person to the top of the hill usually won the race. That SC Cat was killing claimed 300hp sleds at Xgames. Not sure how much boost it was running. Supposedly the SC Pro RMK that Carls built for Levi Lavalli was running 23psi.

Yes I believe the turbos will make more power boost for boost but its hard to say the SC's don't make power and won't build any power over so much boost when Speedwerx has proved that wrong numerous times.

Premium Features