• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wet Rods #830 Dry

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
As much as it makes sense...that is not a great achievement on Yamaha's part. Those models never accounted for much of anything.

I disagree with your consensus of the SHO; they had their following and the only reason they got dropped from the Ford line is they made the Mustangs look silly slow. Which was quite embarrassing for Ford Executives to have a family sedan and station wagon / hatchback kick the snot out of their top of the line model.

I am not a Yami fan by any means and have stated so many times over the years, but I believe in give credit where credit is due. I do think yammi deserves some serious kudos for that achievement.

From memory you had to do very minor things to bring the true animal out of the engines. Probably worth a few minutes Googling it and get a history lesson.

Last edited:

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I believe yamaha has to deal with additional regulations when they build in house and import to the US which could be restricting what they can bring to market. The partnership with arctic cat, building sleds in the USA gets them around the red tape and may open some doors in the years to come.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
I believe yamaha has to deal with additional regulations when they build in house and import to the US which could be restricting what they can bring to market. The partnership with arctic cat, building sleds in the USA gets them around the red tape and may open some doors in the years to come.

I don't buy that......they import a bazillion other things, they should be pretty good at it.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Do you understand that 1 win was with the same hp and more weight?

So your saying that riding a Yamaha is a big handicap and winning 1 race is one heck of an accomplishment?:face-icon-small-ton

O
Dec 6, 2007
The Chevy small block design is over 50 yrs old and the Porsche GT3 motor design is at least 20. What design features would improve it is what I should have asked.

Only if you count the current LS GM V8s as the same small block introduced in the 50's. The original ws replaced in the late 90's with a MUCH updated version. Porsche flat sixes like the current GT3 became water cooled instead of air cooled in 1999. That is a pretty major redesign as well, not the same engine in either case for the time periods quoted.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Yammi sled motors except wieght. Clearly they can still make good reliable power.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
I'm struggling why Yamaha had to out source anything when they could do everything in house and under the Yamaha label. Lets not forget when it comes to deep pockets Yamaha carries a lot of weight .

Yamaha could have easily built an SC for the R1 and even there smaller 3 banger added a warranty and sold sleds it's not rocket science ...After all I'm sure there waverunner sales aren't exactly Yamaha's bread & butter profits either. Manufacturing is all about addressing consumer demand "in the moment"' weather it's purple, pink ,yellow or blue.... Yamaha's sled division management team messed up or maybe just got spooked by Clinton/Gore threats and born was RX1 four banger and than the Vector 3 banger mountain sleds. Which is sad because Yammi has Big $$$$ and has tremendous manufacturing strength to build anything.

FZS Wave runner 1800 CC 250 HP Supercharger. FAST :face-icon-small-hap....I'm sure the MTX will be a great sled but the complaint about weight will never change when compared to the other 3 brands.

DPG

i think the biggest reason this happened was sled sales were down, bad economy & the kick in the nuts with the tsunami.this was the best deal for them to keep them in sled sales for the short term,i can tell you for a fact they are working on a new sled at this time.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
i think the biggest reason this happened was sled sales were down, bad economy & the kick in the nuts with the tsunami.this was the best deal for them to keep them in sled sales for the short term,i can tell you for a fact they are working on a new sled at this time.

I would agree that Yamaha R&D is always at work figuring out cool concept sleds for the mountains...In the grand scheme of sled sales mountain sleds 155 to 163 track length are just a spec in the bucket in comparison to trail sleds sales and touring sleds.

DPG

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
I would agree that Yamaha R&D is always at work figuring out cool concept sleds for the mountains...In the grand scheme of sled sales mountain sleds 155 to 163 track length are just a spec in the bucket in comparison to trail sleds sales and touring sleds.

DPG

Wasn't it a couple of years ago that the Pro RMK was the best selling sled across the board?

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Wasn't it a couple of years ago that the Pro RMK was the best selling sled across the board?

I'm pretty sure your right about the RMK in the mountain segment of sales. And perhaps your even correct that Poo leads all sales. There are a lot of Poo trail sleds out there especially in rental fleets which make up a huge part of overall sales.

DPG

T
Dec 25, 2007
I have owned both, the 6 cylinder is the 4 cylinder with 2 added on basicly with FI and such. Go look at an engine internals diagram.

So, if I looked at it correctly: different number of cylinders, different injection method, different chassis mounting......so basically it is all the way different and was advertised as a completely new engine. Right?

Premium Features