• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vipec ECU

S
Jan 22, 2008
Southern, MN
ok everyone - my dobek box is finished... I'm thinking of taking the plunge and replacing it with a vipec ECU and want to know what people who actually know have to say. So if you have one and have seat time with one, let me know your honest thoughts. Specifically - on the M series with a push turbo - is it really pull and go?? 100% all the time??

Thanks.

S
Jan 22, 2008
Southern, MN
Vipec

Thanks for passing along the inforamtion on Cody... I'll keep it for future reference. What I'm looking for is real world testamonies, from regular guys who ride thier sleds on the weekends and have a different way to pay the bills during the week. I want the real world experieice from us "non-experts"... the guy that had a turbo sled, and it was good, but occasionally it would have issues of coughing, spitting, sputtering, and to get it to clean up was a real problem. The guy who said "I'm an o.k. tuner, and 80% of the time it's great - but the other 20% of the time I'm frustrated...enough so that I'll drop $2300.00 on a new ECU. The type of guy who will say "yaa, best move I made or good upgrade, runs better, but not $2300 better...

Again, experience of the "average guy".

There are many different experts I could ask about it - and, if they are installing them I would expect they would say they are great. And, I would expect they could get a dobeck, boondocker, boost it, vipec, or any box to work great - but they all got way more skill than I do, or ever will have.

Come on Vipec riders - real world results.....

thanks!

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
800cc 2 stroke Ecu was ready late last season, not too many on snow beside a few friends around us and our personnal sleds. Push turbo spent the entire month of march fine tuning is setup, so again ready but late last season. If you want more comments on how the ECU goes i think you should post in the Polaris turbo section (more than 300 on the snow ). A/C and Polaris Ecu is very similar.

vi-pec powersports

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
ok everyone - my dobek box is finished... I'm thinking of taking the plunge and replacing it with a vipec ECU and want to know what people who actually know have to say. So if you have one and have seat time with one, let me know your honest thoughts. Specifically - on the M series with a push turbo - is it really pull and go?? 100% all the time??

Thanks.

They have these for the m series now?

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Im just saying, i was shocked to see the price. I'm sure it's a good product. But for 90% of guys who buy turbos. They already stretched themselves thin with purchasing a $10,000 sled. And on top of that, a turbo costing $5,000-8,000 and adding another $2,000 on top of thatwould be out of the question for most.

H

Hillclimbpro

Feb 11, 2010
Gillette, WY
No, it also comes without melted pistons and scored cylinders.

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk 2

Last time I checked that little box thingy with flashy lights is called the fuel controller, most people use it to tune their sled. Oh and the gauges arnt meant for looks. Most people use those to see what boost they are running and the air/fuel mixture so they can tune their sled properly. I know I don't need a 2k box to do that for me. Some people do because they don't know what the fack their doing. I'm sure it does more than just tune the sled for dummies but I know I can control melted pistons on my own without it.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Now that you have heard from the guys that don't have one. I ran the Push turbo with Vipec last year. This setup is the most flawless turbo I have ever driven. You are in Mn so I would suggest to talk to Jeff at Dakota Performance. He probably has more time on this setup than anyone. My sled was the test mule for this setup. I am personally going to run a race gas mix in my sled this year just for piece of mind. The pump gas we get is hit or miss on the octane. I did run it last year on straight pump. I am the kind of guy who likes to ride and not fiddle with some box all day. I have been around many different turbo systems. That is why I have not had one till now. I saw all the little things that were always wrong and they wouldn't run 100%. This Push with TBBT is just an awesome running setup. And as far as price, when I bought mine it was included in the turbo system, so the price was not any more than any other system.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I'm not doubting it works well. But if anyone thinks that you have to be constantly tuning any other sled with a turbo, well that's ignorant to say the least. This isn't the old boondocker days. The ovs tial race gas kit I had on a 09 m8 came with box settings that were spot on. Only would need to mess with the box in temperature extremes. Or if you wanted to add higher octane and increase boost. If the pricing is the same with or without the VIpec. Go for it. If its more. Well that just cuts into my race gas fund.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Has anyone run a Vipec on a TM1000? I am guessing no. I am about to give up on the Dobeck box and buy a Boost-It.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
the boost it sounds great

but it's still twice as expensive as a dobeck box, and with 25 rpm adjustment intervals, there will still be a learning curve for tuning, my friend has one on his cutler Tm1000, and likes it alot, but took a while to get it tuned. Cleaned up the mid range hot spot. Turbo technology has come a long way in the last 2-3 years. I know I'm addicted to Boost for Life

Last edited:
S
Jan 22, 2008
Southern, MN
thanks

thanks for replying to my questions everyone - guess I have what is out there for experience with vipec... Now i just need to make a decision on what to do..

At least I have a little time - hopefully not to much longer though...

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
I wasted a bunch of time waiting for this thing to come out, not going to bash it but im not happy with the way push and vipec went about it. you know the old shipping next week storey for about a year, anyway went with ovs tial oiless and might have been the best thing I ever did. now here are guys that are there for you and I actually changes one setting .5 from what they told me to run and I havnt touched it since. So these boxes do work when set right. and one more point, I would waite and see what evo releases and there could be more bullydog boxes for way less money. but i'm sure the vipec works great and I heard they are shipping next week

Premium Features