• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Proclimb M8 turbo. 2871 or 2860?

A
Dec 19, 2011
I want to ride skidooits creations :face-icon-small-coo

2871 would be a great choice for your 800, it come stock in many 800 turbo kits, I donno why tss thinks its HUGE.

N

never enough snow

Dec 7, 2008
jackson is rider. any of the turbos i mentioned would get them over just as fast, just depends whos piloting. the tapio crew could put a kitty kat over the top faster then most people.

hell, we also ran that sled with a 66 aero, slowest spooling laziest of them all. but very abrupt when it comes on so feels like it hits hard and makes power.

my point was there turbo choice

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--If you want to minimize lag, always consider the TIAL external wastegate

--Also consider CFM capabilities of turbo as opposed to high boost numbers, especially at altitude

--2867 GTX Tial would probably be a descent setup and the 3071 Tial -- sounds like the best setup -- 3.3 psi = low charge temp = engine happy --and that is probably on pump gas

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
My sled was put together with a 2871, and i rode it like that for 3 years . Most of the time i ran 10 - 14 lbs, but i did run it on pump gas for the end of one season. Then i upgraded to the 2876 and i would never consider going the other way. The bottom end got crisper and it takes of smother and more linear . Its hard to explain, the 71 would have a slight hesitation and then hit harder. That was making the sled trench when i was trying to creep through the trees at slow speeds.

With the 76 i can let out of the throttle and go around a tree in an oh sheet moment, clamp it off and it will get me moving a bit before the trackspeed goes crazy. With the 71 i would of had to feather the throttle in the same situation to get rolling, and then clamp it off. I get stuck alot less with the 76, and ir also looks much better under the hood.

I am dreaming about a 3076 M1 Proclimb now, i am getting old. I dont like to dig out my sled anymore.

I think the disco potato was from 05 when the m7 kits were being conceived. I cant belive companys still sell them to people. And then of course they say you should get an intercooler. Oh uh huh!

C

Crusty82

Jan 27, 2010
This is a really interesting topic

I have 2012HCR BDturbo with rktek turbohead. 2860turbo and no IC

Running 10,5psi on pump gass at 2000ft.
Pulling 85g cpc weights (160-300spring) and 42-40helix

I am seeing chargetemps around 80-120
MAX chargetemp I have seen is 140.

I am going to be of assistance buliding a 2013ltd turbo, and we would really like to try a bigger turbo. But it's a very hard choice.
We do not want to loose throttlerespons. But It would be nice to run less boost and have the same power.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
How many times do they have to say the bigger turbo improves throttle response?

The bigger exhaust turbine gives the exhaust more leverage to spool quicker with less effort!!!

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
Wyo why doesn't one 800 kit from any manufacture use a big turbo then? I am asking not being a smart ***. There must be a drawback I am thinking.

C

Crusty82

Jan 27, 2010
How many times do they have to say the bigger turbo improves throttle response?

The bigger exhaust turbine gives the exhaust more leverage to spool quicker with less effort!!!

I hear you...
But "bigger" is not an exact number...
You can definatly go too bigg..so what is the best choice for my use? You are going to loose throttlerespons if you go too bigg..

I am sure there is a perfect sise for my use. But there is alot of different opinions regarding what the perfect size is...

F

Firecat162

Nov 7, 2008
British Columbia
Currently running a Boondocker intercooled 2863 Tial set up on my 2013 M8 and I can assure you the lag is non existant and the throttle response is crisper than any other turbo sled Ive rode....or owned, and this is my third turbo sled. Have ran 3071 and a 2860 on previous machines and its not even close for throttle response or driveabilitiy. Pulls hard and crisp from bottom to top, I really cant see much of an advantage of a larger turbo on the M8. Im sure the experts will have more input and reasons why this cant be.....but its been my personal observation...for what its worth!! Once you run boost, its hard to go back to N/A!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
That all depends on if you know how to set it up.
If you use a kit or not, tail or internal.
From what I've read the OVS custom 2871 tail is a nice setup but the more ppl learn the bigger it gets.
Twisted runs a 2876 (last I heard)
So if your willing to do some R&D I would prob go for the 3071 with a .64ar, if not get the OVS or twisted setup.

The guys really playing around and testing there own stuff or running bigger, some guys are running turbos you would think are way to big and liking it.

T
Mar 31, 2013
I think it depends on what your using the sled for? Twisted and ovs are all about BIG POWER for CLIMBING! Its common sense that the bigger turbo will make more power on top for long climbs but what If you dont ride like that! Some of us ride the trees where we never use WOT for more then 10 secs at a time and are constently chopping the throttle! How do those big turbos work there???? Every twisted or ovs turbo with big turbos I have ridden with start having problems when we take off through Tight trees in a sidehill! But they flat rip up the side of a open hillside or chute! I have a m8 with the bd kit 2860 it dont make big power on top but its snappy in the bottom and is very responsive when chopping the throttle in the trees and still has plenty of top for climbing most stuff! But my Idea of climbing is going up a steep tree covered hills! Open stuff is to easy and dangerous for Avys IMO!

I also know that burandt tried running the the 2867 and ended up swapping back to 2860 because it wasnt responsive enough in the trees!

I think the simple answer here is decide what kind of riding you are wanting to do with the sled and choose the turbo that works best! There is no perfect chioce for everyone!

C

Crusty82

Jan 27, 2010
Sounds like we want the same think.

I only ride trees and short open hills. I have never had WOT more then max 10 seconds. Usually max 5 seconds.
So maine priority for me is best setup for that type of riding

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
I have worked with a buddy and we did a poo 800 motor in a tube chassis and did the following combos and it only got better every time we changed.

2871 .86 exhaust housing. 7-8#... ran really good, consistant, smooth power.

3071-wg-.64 exhaust housing (this is the internally gated 3071, with not fullsize exhaust wheel) worked even better, pulled same clutching at 4-5# of boost. and more linear out of hole all the way to full throttle, felt less turbod and more like a BIG bore.

fullsize 3071, Tial .64 exhaust housing, external wastegate and 3" mandrel charge tube that y'd into the motor. pulled same clutchign at 3.3# of boost. Even smoother, more linear, and unreal power on the top for low boost.

To give you an idea, We just built a nytro, 3071 external gate .64 housing, running 11.5# of boost and snapped a rod with no deto. the rods are good to ~270 horse. stock motor is 130 horse. you do the math, instant response, and STUPID power on the top end. fastest sled i have ever ridden hands down.

Your supposed to forget all of this info so our secrets dont get leaked out!
come on now:face-icon-small-hap

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Sounds like we want the same think.

I only ride trees and short open hills. I have never had WOT more then max 10 seconds. Usually max 5 seconds.
So maine priority for me is best setup for that type of riding

And we ride 95% of the time in this stuff....
The other 5% is scaring our selves on the bigger hills and shoots

Premium Features