• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts on the new 2014 YamaCat...

D
Dec 4, 2010
up the rocks
Hummm

This is my 2 cents. I like it. Makes me think. Wonder if the apex engine will fit? Put a turbo on it. 174 tunnel, track and skid. Might have to rip apart my nypex, raid the parts I need. Buy a tunnel, build a header and intercooler. Hummmmmmmm. "Vipex". Has I nice ring to it......... Off to the drawing board I go! :face-icon-small-coo

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
To me this sounds like the beginning to the end of Yamaha snowmobiles.

I agree, down to 3 mfr's by 2015. The Cat name will stay, sleds are their bread and butter while it's small potatoes fro Yamaha....probably more trouble than it's worth from their perspective. That explains why they never realeased the new chassis they had 2 years ago.
They will just be a engine design/supplier for Cat like Suzuki was....and Kawi before that.
At least the Cats won't have any more belt problems, back to the good 'ol button clutch. :face-icon-small-hap

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Will this new business relationship bring us a BETTER MOUNTAIN SLED in 2015?

Really? The 2015 sleds won't be on the snow for a 1 1/2 years! This is like finding out your football team sucks on the first game and you say, "there's always next year".

Yamaha = FAIL

grizzly7

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2009
Wisconsin
My newphew is at the dealer meeting and he says that Yamaha and Cat are not merging at all just sharing technology. And that they will be launching a new sled every year for the next 5 years. (surely the mountains will be last)

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
Personally I wish that the yami's would be in the shootout. Maybe it would take something like this to wake them up. To see just how far behind they are in this segment might make them offer something more competative WITHOUT adding $7-10 grand. Once again take the short track and make it longer to compete getting real old:face-icon-small-fro:face-icon-small-fro

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
You think so? Yamaha is a WAY bigger company, I could see yamaha buying out cat in the future.

Exactly...and sleds are a small % of their business. No big loss, might even save them $$ if they don't need the infrastructure or trade agreements yet still make $$ on sales of Cats.
Cat on the other hand....their sleds are what keeps the lights on.
I'm not saying Cat buys out anyone, I think Yamaha will eventually just bow out of sled sales. People buy them for their reliabiable engines. If Cat has the same engine in a lighter and better handling chassis, Made in the USA, how many would still buy a Yami?
Perhaps Yamaha would buy out, or a big chunk of Cat, but in the end I think it will be the Cat name that gets carried on...even if partially owned by Yamaha, just like it was with Suzuki.

Last edited:

dexter

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Exactly...and sleds are a small % of their business. No big loss, might even save them $$ if they don't need the infrastructure or trade agreements yet still make $$ on sales of Cats.
Cat on the other hand....their sleds are what keeps the lights on.
I'm not saying Cat buys out anyone, I think Yamaha will eventually just bow out of sled sales. People buy them for their reliabiable engines. If Cat has the same engine in a lighter and better handling chassis, Made in the USA, how many would still buy a Yami?
Perhaps Yamaha would buy out, or a big chunk of Cat, but in the end I think it will be the Cat name that gets carried on...even if partially owned by Yamaha, just like it was with Suzuki.

What makes you think yami is giving them there engines. Lol your speculating way too much they are probably gonna make them engines not give them all there technology but some. I don't think any good business would do that. It would be tutting here own throat

dexter

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Personally I am really disappointed I was thinking hard about gettin a new yami but keeping my nytro now for sure.

M
Jan 14, 2004
There is nothing here for the mod guys at all over a done up Nytro except maybe some steering geometry. It's very interesting that there are no weights published, bets are it because its heavy. The majority of the Yamaha weight comes from the motor which is why a done up mod Nytro still weighs 600lbs with 7 gallons of fuel. I've built sleds where I clipped every ounce off that you can and they are still heavy. Every chassis needs X amount of parts and those parts create weight but when you look at any chassis less the motor and suspension and so on they are all pretty close in weight. My complete Nypex chassis built out of aluminum with the steering gate, post, and a steel subframe and I can't remember what all was I think 83 lbs. I can look it up. A carbon fibre XP Doo chassis with all the same stuff is around 60 lbs, they are 43 lbs stripped no nun etc. A stock Nytro tunnel is 43 lbs MTX version with the drop brackets etc an after market tunnel ususally comes in in the 30's. With the exception of maybe of Ti the CF chassis is the lightest out there. So if you start with one of those add a 4 stroke etc its gonna get to be 550 or so ready to ride. If you start with a Nytro remove all the crap they have and turbo up add every trick part you can find you are close to 600 lbs.

This Catahaha sled is going to be 580-600 all day long done up. So why bother?

Nothing here

M5

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Really? The 2015 sleds won't be on the snow for a 1 1/2 years!

These new Vipers were being talked about by people who had been on them in early form in late summer of 2011.

The 2015 most likely already exists in one off prototype form, and will be being ridden this summer.

12 months from today they will release it to the general public.

B

bacobits

Dec 9, 2007
Laramie, wyo.
Really blurring the lines here. If the new yamacat is built in minn with a blue cat body and a yamaha motor this could be a cat release also. Is it really a yamaha?LOL!
I need to get to work, Sheese!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Man, I can see an under tunnel exhaust mod for this....

attachment.php

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
These new Vipers were being talked about by people who had been on them in early form in late summer of 2011.

The 2015 most likely already exists in one off prototype form, and will be being ridden this summer.

12 months from today they will release it to the general public.

Nothing like missing out on another year of sales in the largest growing sled market.

Premium Features