• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 PC what turbo and why?

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
Dude I know the difference between journal and ball bearing, I've been slapping boost to everything I've owned since I was young! I'm still not buying the fact that cutlers are ball bearing, I have a stage 2 on my sled and it spools just as fast as my buddies Silber pro. And if cutler was using ball bearing don't you think they would advertise the fact? All they list on the site is "Garret 2860 or 2871" not "Garret GT2860RS" which is the ball bearing version of the 2860 also known as the disco-potatoe. I could be wrong but until I see proof I can't believe it

Garrett doesn't make a 2860 journal bearing turbo....they are all ball bearing. the 2860 turbos used in all the sled kits that use that turbo are all 2860rs's the 2860-1-2-3's are all flangeded connections the 2860rs is the round connection. nothing wrong with the cpc kit though, always hear way more good than bad about them

D
Nov 6, 2012
Dude I know the difference between journal and ball bearing, I've been slapping boost to everything I've owned since I was young! I'm still not buying the fact that cutlers are ball bearing, I have a stage 2 on my sled and it spools just as fast as my buddies Silber pro. And if cutler was using ball bearing don't you think they would advertise the fact? All they list on the site is "Garret 2860 or 2871" not "Garret GT2860RS" which is the ball bearing version of the 2860 also known as the disco-potatoe. I could be wrong but until I see proof I can't believe it

http://www.cpcracing.com/site/256083/page/927750

K

Kyle91rs

Jan 23, 2011
Fort mcmurray Alberta
I am putting in the Push kit. I will give an honest report once all tuned in and running. I'm not sponsored so you guys will know if it is all its hyped up to be. I am pretty confident it will work good. We will see.

Which kit are you running?? I just bought the g kit with a 2860 garret and ill be using a boondocker box to tune it, I may go to boost it or vipec this summer with a tial upgrade. For now I just wanted to get my feet wet in turbo land.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Which kit are you running?? I just bought the g kit with a 2860 garret and ill be using a boondocker box to tune it, I may go to boost it or vipec this summer with a tial upgrade. For now I just wanted to get my feet wet in turbo land.

I went with the Tial kit with the Vipec. It is 90% installed. I am waiting on the wiring specs for the vipec box to add the aux wiring to the factory connectors.

Sep 25, 2012
I went with the Tial kit with the Vipec. It is 90% installed. I am waiting on the wiring specs for the vipec box to add the aux wiring to the factory connectors.

Please keep us updated on how the push Vipec works as I here lots of good things about it, I'm really interested :) please and thank u so much :)

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
Bacon I am also courious to hear how it works for you. I have a 2010 m8 with the push tial on it now and LOVE it. I am looking to upgrade next year and cant decide which way to go. That TBBT system has me nervous and if that vipec is truely pull and go 100% for a couple thousand miles I will be amazed but would love to have one. I cant wait for some reports.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Bacon I am also courious to hear how it works for you. I have a 2010 m8 with the push tial on it now and LOVE it. I am looking to upgrade next year and cant decide which way to go. That TBBT system has me nervous and if that vipec is truely pull and go 100% for a couple thousand miles I will be amazed but would love to have one. I cant wait for some reports.

10-4. Maiden voyage should be next weekend.

D
Mar 10, 2009
Don't really have anything to add about the kits, just some information on turbo's:

There are at least 3 distinct trims of Garrett GT2860R's all which have different performance characteristics.

The R following the part number (GT2860R) indicates ball bearing, however as has been mentioned Garrett does not produce a GT2860 (note no R so a journal bearing)

The GT2860RS is another trim of the GT2860R it is known in turbo lore as the Disco Potato, as it was first produced for a Nissan project car (a B15 sentra to be exact) that looks kind of like a potato to some people, the disco part was from that project car's wild paint job. The result of that particular trim of turbo was such a great driving experience, that Garrett decided to offer it in the aftermarket with its own special designation. The GT2860RS

So to summarize: All GT2860R's are ball bearing, but not all GT2860R's are disco potato's that one is specifically the GT2860RS. The cream of the crop is now the GTX2860R, which has the new GTX compressor aerodynamics.

I have never been able to measure (even with data logging equipment) increased spool or a turbo to light sooner, with ball bearings. What is measurable is its longevity to resist thrust loading (typically from overspeeding) as well as it's transient response (going from high boost to low boost, back to high boost) something we as sledders need in the trees.

graham_r

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2008
British Columbia
oh I thought they had a water to air intercooled airbox on their proclimb. (according to their website). I was really impressed with how their kits were running last year at yamafest, but having the intercooler is nice

It has not been released yet. They are still working on it.

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Don't really have anything to add about the kits, just some information on turbo's:

There are at least 3 distinct trims of Garrett GT2860R's all which have different performance characteristics.

The R following the part number (GT2860R) indicates ball bearing, however as has been mentioned Garrett does not produce a GT2860 (note no R so a journal bearing)

The GT2860RS is another trim of the GT2860R it is known in turbo lore as the Disco Potato, as it was first produced for a Nissan project car (a B15 sentra to be exact) that looks kind of like a potato to some people, the disco part was from that project car's wild paint job. The result of that particular trim of turbo was such a great driving experience, that Garrett decided to offer it in the aftermarket with its own special designation. The GT2860RS

So to summarize: All GT2860R's are ball bearing, but not all GT2860R's are disco potato's that one is specifically the GT2860RS. The cream of the crop is now the GTX2860R, which has the new GTX compressor aerodynamics.

I have never been able to measure (even with data logging equipment) increased spool or a turbo to light sooner, with ball bearings. What is measurable is its longevity to resist thrust loading (typically from overspeeding) as well as it's transient response (going from high boost to low boost, back to high boost) something we as sledders need in the trees.

Now that's the info I was looking for in my piles of notes! When I had my built Nissan I had better luck with a Greddy 20g ! Now that's a bad azz turbo there

rmk800ak

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2002
Fairbanks AK.
I went with the TSS. It had all I wanted with the tunnel dump and boost-it box . The intercooler ill add as soon as Brandon gets it done . I also wanted to run avgas they have a lot of time with running it so that's why haha .

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Got the wiring specs from Vipec. Should get it wired and fired this weekend. What a clean setup. There is only 6 or 7 wires to plug into the stock ecu plugs. Only problem I am having is finding a good place to put the servo motor for the power valves. Other than that it is a pretty straight forward install.

graham_r

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2008
British Columbia
I am very excited I have just purchased a boondocker for my 13 Proclimb. To respond to the original question " what turbo and why" i went with boondocker based on their electronics. I feel that the electronics make or break a turbo kit. The EBC built into the box is sweet, and the kit now come standard with the electronic timing key. Another factor is what the pros ride. It seems like there are more boondocker kits on pro backcountry riders sleds then any other kit, and bOondocker dominates the hill climb circuit.

Premium Features