• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WHEN will yamaha come out with a new chassis...is there hope???????

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Do you think 50lbs will make you a better rider ?
Well lets see.
I have lost -42lbs since last winter from my waist line.
If the Nytro trims off another -50lbs, and I keep working, my on snow weight would be down -100lbs.

ya, I think that would make me a better rider! :face-icon-small-hap

D

dmc

Nov 28, 2007
if they could just drop 50lbs, what a HUGE DIFFERENCE that would make!

Where would the 50lb reduction in weight put the Nytro in relation to its competition...lighter? about the same? Isn't the AC M1100 T about 530 dry?

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Where would the 50lb reduction in weight put the Nytro in relation to its competition...lighter? about the same? Isn't the AC M1100 T about 530 dry?

Wet weights from the 2012 AMSNOW Powder shootout (sleds weighed on same scale at Lincoln County Customs):

Polaris 800 Assault = 552
Cat 800 = 576
Polaris RMK with electric Start = 577
Doo Freeride 146 = 581
Nytro MTX with Turbo Kit = 647
Cat 1100T HCR = 672

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I sure hope that Yamaha just uses Skinz engineering and not their manufacturing capabilities. Waiting on Skinz to make parts would be a disaster. Using their designs and producing them in house would be SWEET!

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
I sure hope that Yamaha just uses Skinz engineering and not their manufacturing capabilities. Waiting on Skinz to make parts would be a disaster. Using their designs and producing them in house would be SWEET!

Maybe with a commitment from Yamaha they could expand there resources and be able to keep up with Demand that way...

D

dmc

Nov 28, 2007
Wet weights from the 2012 AMSNOW Powder shootout (sleds weighed on same scale at Lincoln County Customs):

Polaris 800 Assault = 552
Cat 800 = 576
Polaris RMK with electric Start = 577
Doo Freeride 146 = 581
Nytro MTX with Turbo Kit = 647
Cat 1100T HCR = 672

Great info, thanks. It looks like the Nytro is already competitive weight-wise with the Cat. Dropping 50 lbs makes it within 16 lbs of the Doo...and that includes a turbo, wow. And yes I know there is a difference in the size of the fuel tanks :face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Wet Weights are an interesting thing.
I think the best comparison is semi-wet.
all fluids but no gas.

That nails the variations in tank sizes and shows you what the "SLED" weighs.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
all fluids but no gas.

Not this crap again.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Not this crap again.

Amen! So many variables besides overall weight go into making a sled feel light on the snow it is a waste of time to worry about one sled weighing 15 pounds more because it has more fuel. The curse we will ever live with as nytro owners is the front end weight. The weight I dropped off my sled made an amazing difference but the front end weight is something I will always fight. I am installing one item that will hopefully lighten the front end just a bit:)

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Hey, maybe Yamaha should go back to the way sleds used to be built......fuel tank in front, and engine behind it.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I think you want the fuel as close to the center of gravity as possible. Then as you burn it off the balance is not effected. The cylinders should be angle back not forward and the intake should be at the front with the exhaust at the back. Can you see how simple the headers would be? And the intake piping would also be a lot simpler and shorter especially with an intercooler. The Yamaha seems a LOT lighter than the Cat stock and there is so much easy weight to lose. On the Cat the battery and can seem to be the only cheap weight loss.

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
all fluids but no gas.

I disagree just because of the fact that we all fuel up to the max when we go out riding. Weight is therefore including all you need to just pack your stuff, jump on and start riding. At least in my book since I am a practical person that tries to see the world the way I live.

//Rob

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
I quite often will go riding without topping up my fuel tank. Why pack extra fuel when you don't need it? But that's just the world I live in.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
all fluids but no gas.

I disagree just because of the fact that we all fuel up to the max when we go out riding. Weight is therefore including all you need to just pack your stuff, jump on and start riding. At least in my book since I am a practical person that tries to see the world the way I live.

//Rob

How you weigh a sled is highly dependent on you final objective.

If you want to know what it weighs ready to hit the snow then fill everything up, bold down your rack and extra gas, Muff Pot and get some lunch fixins. Then put it on the scale and see what you have.

If you want to compare different brands I think you have to have a standardized starting place. Shocks, oil and coolant topped off. The big variable of the manufactures is the size of the fuel tank. So for me I want the fuel drained. No accessories installed. For me this would be a basic wet weight.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I agree completely.
There is "my" riding weight, and then there is "comparison" weights for trying to compare one sled to another in some meaningful manner.

C

constech

Dec 31, 2010
Payson, UT
You know Ken not everyone wants a Pro, i rode one and could wait to trade back, feels like a phazer next to my 230 hp. I would rather work a little harder to ride and have real power. So i hope they do not produce a pro, I want a more manuverable Nytro that comes stock with a turbo.

Premium Features