• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lets see some "Cold air" turbo intakes

R

ridefastflylow

Jan 10, 2008
"The Dirty Klam"
Has anyone tried doing a cold air intake through the headlight Pod! Basically just use the same stuff out of hood intakes use like cage a 90 and a tube running up into the headlight pod! Using headlight vents and dash vents to bring air flow! Have a heat sheild closing the bottom of the headlight pod from underhood heat with a hole small enough for filter to fit through when opening and closing the hood!

Seems to me with good venting in the headlights and dash vents to create a good flow of air it would have all the advantages of out of hood intake with the protection from the trees and deep snow that out of hood style intakes suffer from!

Has anyone done this? It would be very simalar to a twisted cold air intake!

I've been wondering this too. Have taken out my headlights for vents. Helps some but have been thinking of cutting my hood for an intake. Would rather keep it a "sleeper" sled without the intake sticking out of the hood. If someone tries to do this would like to see some pics. Might try myself.

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Where is everyone getting there metal filter cages at?

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
I bought the bd pro cai kit. I tried it about 3 in above hood worked great at first but ended up raising it to windshield height. It now works better than i ever expected had to add weight to clutch and add some fuel top end. My sled has never ran this good in over the hood pow. Thanks guys!
**it is kind of a pain taking filter off every time to open hood but well worth it the way it runs now just find the hose clams with the thumb screw then no tools needed**

D
Nov 6, 2012
All the guys with cutler turbos with the intake sticking out of hood. Can u post pictures ov the piping under the hood please. And also I've seen a few pics on here with the pipe wrapped. Pros/cons ov it?

M-Head

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2010
Yakima, WA
Doesn't the Cutler cold air intake solve the problem by drawing cold air through the headlight area, or is the snorkel that much better?

D
Nov 6, 2012
Doesn't the Cutler cold air intake solve the problem by drawing cold air through the headlight area, or is the snorkel that much better?

Don't know if a snorkel is that much better but I'm just not keen on the cutler cai. That big dryer vent tube. Gotta relocate the coolent bottle. Silicone all round your headlights to keep the snow dust out. Plus I have a gauge lifter and both my a/f and boost gauge up by my cluster so the wires and boost line comes up thru hole. So I'd have to seal that off as well.

M

M1000Mod162

Nov 23, 2009
Colorado
Here is my cold air intake. I took it out once this year, it was only ridden on the road due to the early season and lack of snow. I only saw a max of 91 from 185 last year temps! I believe it's going to work great!

m1000.1.jpg m1000.2.jpg m1000.3.jpg m1000.4.jpg m1000.5.jpg m1000.jpg

Last edited:
D
Nov 6, 2012
M8 cutler

I'm in the proccess of building my tube from the turbo to out ov the hood on the right side. Wanna post pics but I think I have to be premium member?

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Two things im questioning right now, 1. Strength is important to me since I roll my sled more then the average person which is why im debating putting my intake up by my headlight delete, but would hot air rising from the exhaust basicly make the intake being up there pointless? 2. What about cone type filters? I havnt seen any info on those but I could see them being stronger then the rest, anyone try that type and like them?

My hood is vented nicely at the top, headlight delete, beside gauge vents, stock intake vents, so I would like to be able to keep the hot air coming out through there and not block it off like someone posted above.

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
M1000mod162 I like the looks of your new intake one step better than above the hood and exposed. I bet that works awesome for you! Your BD turbo looks a lot like my Push...

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Durasluts cold air intake on a cutler set up.
uzaqaqab.jpg
8yra5eja.jpg
azyra4a5.jpg
amy9yvar.jpg
3e3any2e.jpg
7eju9uqy.jpg

matt159

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Southwest Iowa
Looks like a fun workspace.

I made it out ov the left side boost pipe off 03 duramax. Had to cut and weld to line up the 2 bends and then polished it to mirror shine. Bottom boot is off the same pipe.

Nice work on the intake. Judging by the empty bottles, you get a lot of use out of your shop! Cheers! :beer; :beer; :beer; :beer; :beer; :beer; :face-icon-small-hap

D
Nov 6, 2012
Nice work on the intake. Judging by the empty bottles, you get a lot of use out of your shop! Cheers! :beer; :beer; :beer; :beer; :beer; :beer; :face-icon-small-hap

Lmao. I was waiting for someone to say that. It's my buddies shop and yes lots ov good times.

D
Nov 6, 2012
So me and a buddy just got bac from the hills and the cold air intake I made works awesome. On over the hood powder it cud be taller but on a climb or other places its night and day how it rips now compared to we're it was under hood.

gongshowm1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Quesnel BC
Cold air intake

Hey duraslut just in the process of building a cold air intake on my cutler kit.
In your last post you mentioned you would mount the pre filter higher, how much higher you think a guy should go above the hood?

Thanks gongshow

Premium Features