• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What size Turbo are you running.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I know you posted some stuff on what it takes to convert a 71 to a hybrid but it didn't make a whole lot of sense. Are the changing the hot side or the cold side.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--Assuming an existing .82 a/r or larger hot side(per Gus Bohne) on an existing 2871 turbo, parts needed would be as follows:

--2.5 inch charge tube and fittings(maybe not mandatory but very beneficial)
--Put a 2.5 inch inlet on the air box to match the charge tube if not sized already(I am sure any turbo shop could easily install this)
--Compressor housing
http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...tp&Product_Code=ATP-HSG-138&Category_Code=GCH

--Compressor wheel (I think this would be the one but not sure)
http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...uct_Code=GRT-CWH-002&Category_Code=COMPWHEELS

--4 inch air filter
--check for clearance of larger compressor housing(maybe need a different or shimmed out turbo mounting bracket

--2 feet of fresh powder

--This is all I could think of, but there may be more. Overall, it should be a simple conversion and alot cheaper than buying a whole new kit. Maybe Twisted and OVS could offer a "Hybrid Conversion" for there older setups.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
As displayed, 2 2871 offered buy garret with .86 and a 2876 with .86

Turbo PN CHRA PN Bearing Cooling Ind. Whl Dia Exd Whl Dia Trim A/R Whl Dia Trim A/R Type HP Displacement

GT2871R 743347-1 443179-31 Ball Oil & Water 49.2mm 71.0mm 48 0.60 53.9mm 76 0.86 Wastegated 250 - 400 1.8L - 3.0L
GT2871R 743347-2 446179-32 Ball Oil & Water 53.1mm 71.0mm 56 0.60 53.9mm 76 0.86 Wastegated 280 - 475 1.8L - 3.0L
GT2876R 705330-2 446179-18 Ball Oil & Water 52.8mm 76.1mm 48 0.70 53.9mm 76 0.86 Wastegated 280 - 480 1.8L - 3.0L

So what are the numbers for the 2871 hybrid, the exhaust side on all of these is the same, only diff is the intake side

Last edited:
K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--Hybrid housing is .70 a/r, 4 inch inlet, 2.5 inch outlet

--Compressor wheel needs to be 71mm diam. and 56 trim

--If you already have a 71mm diam and 56 trim wheel then a new one not necessary

-=-You can order a 2871 Hybrid right here just check off the .86 a/r hot side, check the T04S Larger Compressor Housing Upgrade(towards bottom of list), and click BUY on your order. Numbers are below the paragraph although with the larger housing it will be 70 a/r and not 60 a/r.
http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...tp&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-022&Category_Code=GRT

--verify turbine housing bolt patterns for intake and exit

Last edited:

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
Im always open to new ideas and of course.. learning to ride on snow rather than flat ***** ice!!! LOL

Hey Gus, You would have too much fun riding, to pay attention to any performance gain, loss, testing or what have ya. ........just too much fun riding up and down over hill and dale.........:face-icon-small-win

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
With this being said, has anyone tried a 2876 or a hybrid 2871 on an 07 M8, my sled in an 07 but the original turbo was bought fro OVS in 08, and I don't think they were using the hybrid 2871 then...

Give em a call. Our early motors have great response to large turbos, but your 2871 is still hard to beat if it aint broke. I did try a 2876 for a while and it worked good too.

I think ya gotta spend some serious time optimizing your setup at the boost ya wanna run. A bigger/different turbo may go slower if you don't match the rest of the setup.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--Another option for the 2871 may be to just buy a 2876 compressor housing and matching compressor wheel and then match the charge tube, etc.

--Yeah, when their is alot of snow, people to ride with, and places to ride, it is sometimes hard to slow down enough to tune even if the setup is not optimal, just run it. Back East, tuning adds fun and excitement to the ride.

--Probably quite a few turbo sleds could use some tuning, clutching, suspension, etc. to get the best out of there system. Maybe get an optimal setup for say 8 pounds of boost with just a little over the right amount of octane so if a person goes up and down on boost, they have an optimal setup to go back to and reference from.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
--Another option for the 2871 may be to just buy a 2876 compressor housing and matching compressor wheel and then match the charge tube, etc.

--Yeah, when their is alot of snow, people to ride with, and places to ride, it is sometimes hard to slow down enough to tune even if the setup is not optimal, just run it. Back East, tuning adds fun and excitement to the ride.

--Probably quite a few turbo sleds could use some tuning, clutching, suspension, etc. to get the best out of there system. Maybe get an optimal setup for say 8 pounds of boost with just a little over the right amount of octane so if a person goes up and down on boost, they have an optimal setup to go back to and reference from.

Pretty well discribes what I have done, and its a blast.
Except for the optional turbo, I am pretty sure I have the second 2871 I listed so the only diff from the hybrid is the .60 vs the .70 a/r, or just convert it to the 2876

K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
It will but the m1000 has a little more instant throttle response

2010 ovs, m8 with a 2871 @ 10-14psi. not sure what housing, wheel, etc but it is not even close out of the hole to a piped 1000. Turbo is almost twice as fast out of the hole. With OVS clutching and a Timbersled rear skid. Ride with two CPC M8 kits running the 2860's and the same exact thing,turbo wins out of the hole every time. Not bragging by any means just never seen it yet. One piped and ported 1000 we ride with would hang for a little bit in the right snow conditions but I would think you should be doing better out of the hole.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
2010 ovs, m8 with a 2871 @ 10-14psi. not sure what housing, wheel, etc but it is not even close out of the hole to a piped 1000. Turbo is almost twice as fast out of the hole. With OVS clutching and a Timbersled rear skid. Ride with two CPC M8 kits running the 2860's and the same exact thing,turbo wins out of the hole every time. Not bragging by any means just never seen it yet. One piped and ported 1000 we ride with would hang for a little bit in the right snow conditions but I would think you should be doing better out of the hole.

If you are lining them up it will never tell you the true story, the m1000 spins so easy I could get beat by m7's out of the hole, you have to run the throttle just right to pull in a drag race. What I am talking about is being on a steep slope and working in and out of the trees and when you hit the throttle on a (well tuned) m1000 the throttle is instant unlike past Tm8's, thats where it counts.

FYI, my 09 tm8 has had this larger turbo on it since early 08-09 season, thanks to twisted, that was 3 seasons ago so this is not new technology, and it does not have the instant pull like my piped m1000 does or a tm1000 I ride with, some due to clutching, I clutched my sled and gained 9mph track speed on the same boost but lost a little on bottom, then I just rode it for the most part, but that instant snap would be nice to have.

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
I have the same thing with my CPC with 2860, instant throttle response. This is what I love about my kit and why I am cautious or nervous about going to a bigger compressor. I have spoken with a couple different guys about this HTA2868 upgrade and I am going in this direction. $600 bucks, builds boost quicker and more on the top end with out sacrificing my low end response.....and bonus, I don't have to spend $1300 on a whole new turbo:)

Wyo, are you running heavy tip weights? I was messing with my CPC turbo mags this winter and tried loading the tips to see how it affected my throttle response and overall clutching characteristics in the top end. With the heavy tips my sled became noticeably doggy and sluggish compared to the light tip weight configuration, both back shift and up shift. I am a tree basher and personally will never run heavy tipped weights again, they are not conducive to my preferred style of riding. If you are running heavy tipped weights, try some light tips and you should be pleasantly surprised how they change the feel of the sled. I realize that weight profile plays a role as well so maybe pick up a set of CPC turbo mags and see if they are the weights for you. Worse comes to worse you can always sell them if you don't like em. I have talked to Dale about this and he seems to be about the boondocking and crisp response aspects with his turbo kits.

Gawd I can't wait for the friggin SNOW!!!!!

DAMN YOU WYO AND YOUR TURBO THREADS!!!!! LOL:)

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
My weights are all over heavy, I have them loaded all the way and on 10lbs over reving a little, I need to Build a plate I can add to the weights to redirect the where the weight is, but with it loaded heavy I gained huge track speed, (proven same day same hill testing) it also brought down the clutch temps, it works great on 6lbs and pump gas, but I need to play around and when I was doing it my secondary started causing issues so I sent it off and got it re bushed so now, if I keep the sled I can start playing around with it some more for higher boost. Tell me if you went from 42mph track speed at 10500ft running 6lbs to 51mph and it was the difference of sidehilling over the top to going straight over the top you wouldn't do it to. (the track speed seems low and my m1000 said it was turning 44-47mph and wouldn't pull the same hills) Some of it is octane and some clutching for higher boost.

My worry would be the 2868 is still going to carry higher charge temps, thats not a good thing.

G
Apr 23, 2008
clutch tuning makes all the difference in the world..!!!
some just cant get it through their thick heads,, LOL

There is ONLY one way to do it...LOL
there is NO need to change your clutching...LOL
:faint::faint::kev::kev:\\\

Gus

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
In deep powder climbing I maintain a good 55mph track speed with my light tips at 9-10 psi. About 58mph with the heavy tips.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I was well over 60mph in that 9-10lb range, turned it up to 13.3lbs once and was seeing well over 70mph (hanging around 75-80mph) it was a hang on look where your going moment so I can't say for sure.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--With the larger compressors, you will get the same or more power at lower boost levels. This lowers charge temps and also lowers octane requirements which could pay for the larger turbo and/or housing.

--2860 and 2868 turbos can be modified better than stock but you still have a small compressor housing for the engine to breathe through. You still need high rpm wheel speed and higher boost to try to make up for the volume the engine really needs.

P

product tester

Nov 27, 2007
the larger exducer on the comp wheel is producing higher TIP speeds ( diameter ) at the same shaft rpm.. thats good and where we see the gains at low rpms.

Though these hybrids are very good, till We can test one in the field the 2876 is getting the nodd from me for the 800's

the 3076 is barely addequate of 1 liter and up..My favorite is the 3082 or a hybrid 3076....those rock the house HARD !!!!

First thing I noticed when swapping to the 3582 from the 3076 was LAUNCH pull.. no comparison..NONE..bigger is better..

be cool

Gus

Gus lets go ride our 2876's and let everyone elese spend the coin on the hybrids the last half as long.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lmfao.
Chit! I've been trying to tell you guys this for months and now Shain shows up and b1tch slaps some sense into you, as if gus didn't do it hard enough. I see how it is. lol

What about you knifedge, you still sold on that external waste hybrid.

Premium Features